XXT as a runner?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MAC10
Approved Member

XXT as a runner?

Post by MAC10 »

I don't know if it was the neon wheels and springs or what but I remember I bad wanted an XX or an XXT back in the day but I was just a kid and didn't have that kinda money. I've been rebuilding my dad's old RC10s which is what brought me here. Now I'm just a much bigger kid but I can at least get the toys I want! I've come across an XXT project that has my name all over it but I really don't know as much about em and it seems like info is a little harder to find than for the RC10s.

If I built one i'd like to be able to run it and race it. I know this is a dumb question but do the modern truck tires fit on the old wheels? Are consumable parts available? I came across how to do a dual disc slipper conversion, are these available parts? I take it hydradrive parts are not readily available?

I apologize if some of this is searchable but i like this particular project car and kinda want to grab it if its feasable. Thanks!

works92
Approved Member

Re: XXT as a runner?

Post by works92 »

Welcom in the XX addicts world.
You're in the right place on RC 10talk, there's a Losi forum where you will find all the info you need.
For the wheels and double slipper pad, you can use XXX ones.
if you wanna race it, I suggest you a white front bulkhead and rear cvd's.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

The xxt is a great platform and there is lots of great people here that can answer any question you may have. I have a xxt shelfer truck but never raced one so Im not good for setup ideas etc. I would think that most parts are available even the hydradrive parts are around. I do recall the body beinig difficult to get but not sure if anyone is doing a repop. cheers and Welcome to Losi....um rc10talk!!
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

The bodies are hard to find. If you do get an original they are not going to be inexpensive.

I have been looking for one as well. It might be worth it to buy another truck that has the body and you get alot of extras.

I have never raced one either, but I hope to run mine lightly when it is complete.

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

I didn't even think about the body being hard to find and sure enough i bought one without it! It looks like there is a vendor on ebay that repros the LXT body . I emailed them, I wonder how much interest it would take for them to do the XXT? I guess the hurdle now will be finding a complete truck with a paint job I like!

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

For the body, A Duratrax Evader body is a direct drop on to an xxt until you find an original. The repro place can only make a mold off of an uncut body, the lack of an offering generally means they have not yet got a sample one.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Thanks for the tip on the Duratrax body. Also, I like the T3 & T4 bodys, I wonder if those could be made to fit? Of course one of the things I remember liking most about the looks of the XXT was the cool looking Dodge front end! I'll be trying to find some of those original decals too!

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Here's the project I picked up along with a couple of goodies I've found already. I couldn't resist that purple motor plate! Anybody know if those were factory? The chassis is a little rough, it has a lot of old glue and junk on it including some nasty old foam glued in the battery tray. This will probably be a real slow build as I collect parts and finish up my RC10 projects. Anyone know some solvents that are safe on this plastic that will help me clean off the the old glue and junk? Many of the parts are the 'Graphite' versions.
Attachments
IMG_2906.jpg

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

MAC10 wrote:The chassis is a little rough, it has a lot of old glue and junk on it including some nasty old foam glued in the battery tray....... Anyone know some solvents that are safe on this plastic that will help me clean off the the old glue and junk?
If it's just servo-tape type foam glue residue then WD-40 and any automotive disc brake/ clutch cleaner is what I use with 100% success. However, if there is also the remains of old super-glue then I use a super-glue debonder such as this:
De-bonder 005c.jpg
Ever Build Superglue Debonder
De-bonder 005c.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
De-bonder 005c.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
The above brand of debonder contains Heptane and nitromethane and works quickly to soften old superglue deposits which can then simply be wiped away. Just bear in mind that thicker deposits take longer but can again be removed with 100% success.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Beatnik
Approved Member

Post by Beatnik »

Here's mine I've had since new, pretty much box stock.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=25225&p=252503#p252503

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Sweet! Perfect paint scheme on that one, reminds me of the magazine ads for it back in the day, pretty much what I'd like to go for! Since last time I have found a set of shocks, a bunch of wheels, and picked up a couple of extra trannys. One with the milled motorplate and the other looks like it might be the Trinity blue plate with a Hydradrive.

Beatnik
Approved Member

Post by Beatnik »

I was going to sell it then and just couldn't do it, it's a shelf truck. I really like the stock body on the XXT a lot.

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

So was that paint scheme from an old ad or magazine article or something? It just really seems to mirror the image I have in my memory. I've picked up another donor truck with a shell I might try to strip and repaint for a runner body and I also just came across an original unpainted CR shell (not cheap!). I also picked up some original XXT decals. I still would like to find the CR decals with the "Dodge Ram" looking grill decal. Anybody have any scans or even detailed pictures?

Beatnik
Approved Member

Post by Beatnik »

No box art, that was all me. Is this the grill you want ?

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. I believe the un painted body I found is the same as that one so it should work with that grill.