CLM's Losi Collection and rebuild thread

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

clm
Approved Member

CLM's Losi Collection and rebuild thread

Post by clm »

Hello everyone in vintage RC land.

I have been lurking for some time and decided to say hi. I have been into RC since the late 80's, at that time my grandfather gave me an old Blackfoot that started it all. Once I started getting RC Car Action mags I started seeing all those lovely trick cars in the advertisements. One that still sticks in my head was a certain low slung buggy sitting fairly low with covered rear shocks and a fancy rear suspension. I new I wanted one but was on almost no allowance as a 10 year old at the time. A couple years later I got got a (hideous) Kyosho Hi-Roller Corvette for my birthday and almost immediately traded it on an original short front shock tower high motor Traxxas Hawk which traded off shortly after (much to my LHS chagrin!) on my very first Losi, a clapped out Junior 2 with a self loosening diff.

Fast forward a couple years and one paper route and a few dozen used RC cars, the Pro-SE is the current hot Losi buggy but I still want my JRX2... ironically I go to a local Saturday market... And find my holy grail an unbuilt JRX2.

I have now had that car for over 20 years and took great care making sure to protect the chassis whenever it was run, early on I bought Lundsford turnbuckles for it, bought additional shock towers and doubled them up, and it came with ball bearing bell cranks when I bought it. I never really ran the tires on the street so the original tires still look mint oddly :) I have never really restored it aside from cleaning dust off and refilling shocks. It is the one I will not get rid of.

And here it is on the hood of my Moke,

I don't think I will run it much anymore, it has become my shelf queen... although I might take it out to the sand some day. ;)

That was the first car I painted with my slash stripe paint job which has become the only way I paint my bodies anymore :)

next up will be my Junior 2 Extreme... Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

clm
Approved Member

Re: Newbie Greetings and my small collection of JRX series c

Post by clm »

Sorry I took a bit, but here is the rest of my cars.

First is something I have been working on for a while, it started as a nos bare Junior chassis and built up using mostly new parts including a new retrofit transmission, fiberglass Robinson Racing side bulkheads with rear 5 link, aftermarket ball bearing bellcranks, rpm chassis brace and esc shelf, jrx pro front suspension. It also has HPI Super Star wheels currently but that is just until I can locate a set of rear Losi 5 spoke natural rims.

I had intended to put it together with a brushless setup and run it at the local sand dunes... as there are no local or semi local public tracks.

My next one I have been building for a while is a recreation of my first nitro rc vehicle which I sold a few years after I bought it retaining only my body. I decided to build up an upgraded version of my NXT so I bought some beaters from ebay and started reconstruction. It currently is missing a new transmission case as it's current one is stripped, but has shiny cvds, ball bearing bellcranks, new chassis, rpm front arms, aluminum front brace rear arm mounts and front uprights and knuckles, hg shock towers, nos wheels, nos center chassis, Tecnacraft titanium turnbuckles.. and my original body from 98/99

TOBE..
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Nice !!! I really like the JRX2...I don't own one yet but I am keeping my eye out for one...Yours should clean up well...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Excellent collection of vintage Losi you have there - I like the 5-linked Pro SE spec car - with the retrofit gearbox that must be the ultimate pre-XX Losi 2wd!

P.S; Welcome to the board & I'm loving the Patina on your Moke - do you have any more pictures of the rest of it?

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Thanks guys, yeah those are my two best ones but I have at least one of each of the rest of the Jrx cars. the LXT I traded a somewhat hopped up Blackfoot for, it isn't in that great of shape but it is all functional. It has RPM front arms and a retro tranny which were on it when I got it. I recently got it up and running with a yardsale Tekin 420 g2/mod motor/futaba metal gear servo and a spare losi mini lst radio/reciever for the neighbor kid to run. The tires on it came from the ebay gtx :)

My Pro SE was an ebay buy and it is still exactly as I received it... too many other projects at the moment ;) it is the LRM equipped version and has a hydra drive, otherwise stock.

My JRX Pro is an assemblage of several clapped out pro's and t's, it got all the best parts I had at the time. It is however missing wing tubes, wing, and body. It did take a while to fine a set of correct wheels... something I have yet to be able to do for the Junior 2

Other then that I have the scraps of a JRXT and actually managed to toss together most of a Junior T this evening, I will need to find some bits to complete it though. I do have a line on another Pro that a friend a few towns over has, no idea on condition, but it is only $15.

As for the Moke, I'm surprised you know what it is... so few people seem to know about them anymore!

It's a repair project that is currently my daily driver, I bought it a year ago as a rotten wreck... about 80% of the body was replaced.. O.o

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'll bet the chix dig it when you pick them up on date night and roll up with that bad boy. :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

That thing is totally pimptastic.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

You should put that mini moke on Wheeler Dealers and see if Ed can pimp it out...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well... seeing as Wheeler Dealers is a British show and I am in Oregon... I will just have to do the 'pimping' of it myself, if I let any american show do it it will have enormous rims and full of audio equipment. Not my cup of tea! lol

But back to the RC cars and not my photo stage ;)

Chris

Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Where in Oregon? There are a few of us up here in the Portland area. I will have to look, I may have wing tubes for you.

I had no idea there were any Moke in Oregon....that's cool!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I am down here in Coquille Oregon on the coast, I know of at least one other purple Moke in Oregon.. specifically in your nrck of the woods in Portland. And Terry says she is thinking of getting it out of mothballs ;) Ironically it was the first Moke I ever rode in and the direct reason I found and bought my project. I know there is a Mini club in Portland... but it is a bit far for me to be a member with, The 60 miles to the British car club in Florence is pushing it as it is lol

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Here I am on a vintage RC board... talking about the Moke how so very odd! It gets more attention then any other car I have EVER owned... full sized OR scale! lol

If you really want to see more about it go to my Mokeclub thread over in the other board... unless you just want me to rebrand it as a Losi JrxM lol.

http://mokeclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=210&t=4657

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

clm wrote:Here I am on a vintage RC board... talking about the Moke how so very odd! It gets more attention then any other car I have EVER owned... full sized OR scale! lol

If you really want to see more about it go to my Mokeclub thread over in the other board... unless you just want me to rebrand it as a Losi JrxM lol.

Chris
:lol: The Moke is cool...And so are the Losi cars...Mike has come to the states before...On that note I will only comment on the JRX2 because I still need and want one :lol:

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

clm wrote:Here I am on a vintage RC board... talking about the Moke how so very odd! It gets more attention then any other car I have EVER owned... full sized OR scale! lol

Chris
Chris,

Hats off to you! What an amazing job you've done in restoring the Moke from its sorry neglected state. What colour are you going to paint it as I don't recall seeing any mention of this in the thread.....??

Karl
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

lol Well it will end up one of 4 colors when I am done; original green, red, yellow, or the burnt orange it still has on it.

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T