1990 JrxT Recreated

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

1990 JrxT Recreated

Post by matt1ptkn »

I got my first Jrx2 for Xmas in 1989. The next year I got a JrxT. Over the years, I had acquired enough spare parts for both that I could finally build a whole other vehicle. I wanted something stock, so I recently recreated my original JrxT, because luckily I still have my original JrxT body. Unfortunately, my Jrx2 body and wing have disappeared. Plus, my Jrx2 was never stock. So the JrxT was just a bit more nostalgic. The only items not stock are the rear Pro-Line tires, the front camber tie rods and the stainless hardware. I'm sure you've all seen a stock T before, but I'm very fond of this "new" truck, and wanted to share. Please note that I painted this body when I was ten years old. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0792.JPG
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

JPAE07
Approved Member

Re: 1990 JrxT Recreated

Post by JPAE07 »

Nice! I miss my jrxt. Hated those leaky shocks but loved everything else.

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Very nice!!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I purchased a new body for this truck a while back and am racking my brain trying to come up with a paint scheme. I'm interested in sticking to a red, white and blue theme, but at the same time, I wonder if I should do something that will tie in the orange of the wheels better? I'm no Picasso, so I prefer simple designs with straight lines. :lol: Box art has never really been my thing. I have right clicked and saved loads of photos from 10Talk and google, but its so difficult to make a decision! :roll: Anyone have any suggestions, ideas or places that I can look?
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Very cool build. I love the JRXT.

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

matt1ptkn wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 pm I purchased a new body for this truck a while back and am racking my brain trying to come up with a paint scheme. I'm interested in sticking to a red, white and blue theme, but at the same time, I wonder if I should do something that will tie in the orange of the wheels better? I'm no Picasso, so I prefer simple designs with straight lines. :lol: Box art has never really been my thing. I have right clicked and saved loads of photos from 10Talk and google, but its so difficult to make a decision! :roll: Anyone have any suggestions, ideas or places that I can look?
Maybe get inspiration from some period racing photos. Just searching on "1980s Baja 1000" or 500 got me some period pictures. Then went to a one of the web sites a picture was on, which then had more pictures. Modify one of those old paint schemes to fit your project.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

matt1ptkn wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 pm I purchased a new body for this truck a while back and am racking my brain trying to come up with a paint scheme. I'm interested in sticking to a red, white and blue theme, but at the same time, I wonder if I should do something that will tie in the orange of the wheels better? I'm no Picasso, so I prefer simple designs with straight lines. :lol: Box art has never really been my thing. I have right clicked and saved loads of photos from 10Talk and google, but its so difficult to make a decision! :roll: Anyone have any suggestions, ideas or places that I can look?
Unless you're going for box-art or trying to emulate someone else's car, I say think up a paint scheme that incorporates your wheel color. Since the wheels are already a lot of orange, going with a primarily orange body would be too much OJ, IMO. Choose a primary color to make those wheels pop, like black or white or silver...and add some accent striping in orange to "tie" the body with the wheels. Truck bodies are more straight lines than curves so maybe some straight or angled (or combo) stripes in orange, maybe adding thinner yellow/red accent stripes alongside the orange; on a black or charcoal metallic base color body would make the wheels stand out and the striping would bring it all together.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

After consulting with my 7 and 9 year olds, I think I'm leaning toward this scheme. Please disregard the cab forwardness of the pictured body. My PC isn't letting me save photos now for some reason, so I just linked to the photo. Are some photos save protected in Google now?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi644.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu165%2Fgizmorc37%2FPede%25204x4%2FDSCF2117.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftraxxas.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3F9001776-How-NOT-to-paint-a-body&docid=GNDcBXccJvaUPM&tbnid=YWigMBFFS-Ga_M%3A&vet=1&w=1024&h=768&bih=789&biw=1600&q=emaxx%20paint%20schemes&ved=0ahUKEwiaosDLgOrRAhVn44MKHV9aArU4rAIQMwgqKCgwKA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Thanks for the suggestions!

There, I got the photo to save correctly through IE of all things. At least I got it. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Paint - JrxT.jpg
Matt

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That would look good with the orange wheels, for sure. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I need to add some new photos for this beauty. I have since swapped out the chassis for a near mint one, like new Losi turnbuckles with NIP RPM ball cups, nearly new rear kit tires, era correct, albeit non-functioning, servo, a fake Revolution motor and a NOS body. The fake motor is just a minty, unknown motor I had lying around that I stuck an MCI label on. (Its not for sale! :twisted: ) I now also have a minty motor plate on the way. The NIP rear shocks that I carefully assembled and installed have now leaked most of the oil out, :lol: .

Problem is, I'm now second guessing my paint scheme decision. The body is ready for paint, but my indecisiveness is kicking in. I've painted 2 bodies for shelf cars in my time. And each one probably took me over a year to finally decide on a scheme. Time to Google ideas!
Matt

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

In case you didn't know modern Losi 5015 shock cartridges fit right in and work well. While they may not be technically original you'd have to be a Losi goob to notice and best of all no leaks and easy to come by.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

A Losi goob is what I'm striving for. 8) For my Losi shelfers, I prefer to use the old style cartridges. I have no other use for them anyway. :lol: But I am aware of the 5015 cartridges; I have a small stockpile of them in my stash. I'll just put a paper towel under the truck until the leak stops.

Here are a couple photos of the current Jrx-T. I need to install the new(ish) $62.50 motor plate and paint the body. The battery box is incorrect for a T, but I like the look of it, plus I have no other use for it either.
Attachments
IMG_0463[1].JPG
IMG_0461[1].JPG
Matt

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Just some better, glamour shots. :mrgreen: Along with the T's older, yet smaller, brother.
Attachments
IMG_0481[1].JPG
IMG_0480[1].JPG
IMG_0479[1].JPG
IMG_0478[1].JPG
IMG_0477[1].JPG
IMG_0476[1].JPG
IMG_0475[1].JPG
IMG_0474[1].JPG
IMG_0473[1].JPG
IMG_0472[1].JPG
Matt

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Cool paint job on the JRX2.

- Limestang

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Thanks. There was supposed to be more red than there ended up being, but I do like how it turned out. Still working on the stickers.

As for the T, I pulled out my original box over the weekend, and the box photos show this older style battery box. I know mine came with the newer style, but now I feel like this one "belongs".
Matt