Project XX

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Re: Project XX

Post by LosiXXkid »

That new CF shock tower looks great by the way!
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Thanks, I like it.

Ok I cannot find any wheels anywhere so need to dye my fronts (and the rears probably) what dye should I use that will give me good results and will it turn my creamy wheels white to match the rears?
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Thanks, I like it.

Ok I cannot find any wheels anywhere so need to dye my fronts (and the rears probably) what dye should I use that will give me good results and will it turn my creamy wheels white to match the rears?
Which wheels will you be dyeing? Original XX/ 5-Spoke naturals? I think the consensus on the forum would be to use RIT dye all the way.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rit-Dye-For-Fabrics-Plastics-Multiple-Colours-Powder-Dye-RCModelz-/321215518878?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&var=510161765842&hash=item4ac9efd89e

I've had great results with all the parts that I've dyed such as the front bulkhead, wheels, steering arms, 4-40 nylon nuts, etc.

There's a thread of mine in the R/C Tech Forum that deals with dyeing suitable nylon parts using a microwave.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=33034

Don't forget to add some spirit vinegar (the clear stuff) to the solution as per the instructions for dyeing nylon. :wink:

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

The original Losi 5 spokes yes. Problem is I want them white and there is no white dye by the look of it. The rears are white but the front are natural, even if I dyed them red for example, they would probably come out different shades... I think it's going to be easier to just get some JC Racing ones for example and forget these. If they had all been the same shade to begin with it would be fine, but they arn't, and I don't think the end result would be very good at all.
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Ok front bulkhead with new shock tower attached:

Steering assembly back in place:

Some of the graphite writing had rubbed off the braces so I decided to take it all off with nail varnish remover:

New rod ends:

Front end complete:
Yikes! What's happened here? Hard-drive error......? Doesn't look good... :(

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LosiXXkid wrote:Yikes! What's happened here? Hard-drive error......? Doesn't look good... :(
More likely that he changed an album name, deleted a folder or album on his image hosting site.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

I knew it 8)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

RC10Eh wrote:I knew it 8)
What did you know??? :o

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Well looks like all those parts are headed back to Canada! Would be interesting to know where those parts have been over the years. At least two trips accross the pond now!

Once I get these parts I will take stock to see what I am missing and possibly start my BK build. I know for sure I am in need of a shell, just can't decide if I should go with a BK, or a XX CR. I kinda prefer the CR shell, so I might go with that one. Also I am not sure what to do about wheels and tires. I have plenty of NIP original XX wheels, and should have enough tires to go on them. However I'd like to put some white wheels on it, so I might try to firgure out how to put on some more moderen proline wheels and tires. Guess it will come down to decideding if it will be a runner or a shelfer.

It might still be a month or so before I start the build, might need a few more parts to complete the build as I would like to build it all from New parts rather then poach from other cars. Plus the other XX's may not have the "corect" BK spec parts. Can't wait to get them!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

DHC6 wrote:Well looks like all those parts are headed back to Canada! Would be interesting to know where those parts have been over the years. At least two trips accross the pond now!

Once I get these parts I will take stock to see what I am missing and possibly start my BK build. I know for sure I am in need of a shell, just can't decide if I should go with a BK, or a XX CR. I kinda prefer the CR shell, so I might go with that one. Also I am not sure what to do about wheels and tires. I have plenty of NIP original XX wheels, and should have enough tires to go on them. However I'd like to put some white wheels on it, so I might try to firgure out how to put on some more moderen proline wheels and tires. Guess it will come down to decideding if it will be a runner or a shelfer.

It might still be a month or so before I start the build, might need a few more parts to complete the build as I would like to build it all from New parts rather then poach from other cars. Plus the other XX's may not have the "corect" BK spec parts. Can't wait to get them!
Maybe you could pick up where the OP left off.... :mrgreen:

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Well I just placed another order on evilBay and from http://sabulatech.com for some more goodies. The only trinity part that I am missing is the front bulk head. Other wise the last things missing are tires and a body. Once I get all the parts I will start my own thread.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

DHC6 wrote:Well I just placed another order on evilBay and from http://sabulatech.com for some more goodies. The only trinity part that I am missing is the front bulk head. Other wise the last things missing are tires and a body. Once I get all the parts I will start my own thread.
Don't go holding out for the Trinity XX front bulkhead or you may never get to start your build! :mrgreen:

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Don't worry. I won't wait for it. If I don't have one by the time I get everything else organized I will start anyway. Just hoping and searching for one.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Did you receive all your parts from the OP that sold them on eBay?? Anything in the way of photo's/ progress???