Losi JRXT Build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lavigna
Approved Member

Losi JRXT Build

Post by Lavigna »

Hi. I have always loved the look of the JRX-T. I had a RC10T as a kid, which I loved, but I also wanted the Losi. Well, I recently rebuilt my original RC10T, and am currently building a NIB RC10T. I know the RC10 platform very well, but the Losi is new to me. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about it's history, etc. I always thought the 5 link suspension of the JRX series looked so cool. I found this JRX-T on eBay about 6-8 months back. I got it for a real decent price. It has likely been used, but it must have just been in the driveway a few times. My plan for the truck is to replace a few items with aftermarket, clean it up as best I can, get it as close to new as I can, and keep it a shelf queen. I am also adding vintage electronics to it as I go.

The underside of the chassis is has some very minor scuffs at the very rear. The motor plate is pristine. This truck was likely pieced together from different trucks, but it was done well.

It came with RPM arms front and rear, RPM link carrier, upgraded steering linkage, and a clean Trinity motor.

I have added the new dirt shields, and changed out a few pieces of hardware which were a little crusty. I also took apart the shocks. I replaced the pistons, shafts, and rod ends with new vintage Losi parts. The shocks were weeping oil with the original shafts, as they were pitted, but with the new shafts, they hold tight. I didn't replace the shock bodies, as they are very clean, but could be better. I am keeping an eye on eBay and may eventually replace all 4 with new vintage bodies.

The hinge pins were a little crusty, but I was able to polish them all to better than new.

I am looking for vintage Tecnacraft Ti tie rods to replace the stock units. I may also eventually change out the pivot balls with Ti units. The tires are overly glossy in these photos, because I am trying to soak in some SC1 for a few days. I also am undecided on what decals to put on the side of the clear dirt shields. Any suggestions?

The body that came with the truck is "Good from far, but far from good." I added the black number plates out of scrap lexan, and cutout the number by hand. It is not an exact replica, but is as close as I could manage. There are very few photos for reference. I have noticed that very few of the JRX-T examples actually have the number plates installed. I don't know why this is, because I think it looks so cool with them attached.

I have ordered a new body that I will be setting up for this truck. I think I will make it box art, but am tempted to go early 90's style glam. I still remember the 2 JRX-T's from RCCA back in 1992 from Readers Rides. I thought both of these were such nice trucks. I am tempted to replicate on of them, but still undecided. I attached a scan of those trucks below.

The vintage electronics are just mocked up for now. I still need a vintage servo, battery, etc.

Anyway, I will try to keep this thread updated as the truck evolves. Any input or suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture9.JPG
Capture10.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Re: My JRX-T Build

Post by matt1ptkn »

I like the "Whole Wheat" Jrx-T. Box art is always nice, but so many people have done it. Plus I like adding personal flair. But I don't really like talking about my flair. :lol: Your truck looks great! I have those same rear tires on my shelf Jrx-T, but I'd really like to get a set of the original tires. You are causing me to consider purchasing a new body for mine now. 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

That looks great, I'm in the process of building a XT racer right now that will at least see practice time at track. I won't tell you how many parts cars off the bay I had to buy to get a full set of tecnacraft rods you are looking for, good luck!

Is that an early XT chassis with no servo saver hole, and didn't the XT come with the earlier original style X2 style battery cup. Just curious for reference?

You've now inspired me to build a clean shelfer too. How bout a Jack Johnson nationa psychological replica body?

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

I say stay away from the box art paint. With all the box art bodies I see for sale, they don't have the feel they once did. I kind of keep scrolling past them, if you know what I mean. Personalizing it would make it your own, and a good painter should be able to recreate some killer early paint jobs schemes.

Your truck is super clean, and I look forward to seeing it come together.

:)
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

RCveteran wrote:That looks great, I'm in the process of building a XT racer right now that will at least see practice time at track. I won't tell you how many parts cars off the bay I had to buy to get a full set of tecnacraft rods you are looking for, good luck!

Is that an early XT chassis with no servo saver hole, and didn't the XT come with the earlier original style X2 style battery cup. Just curious for reference?

You've now inspired me to build a clean shelfer too. How bout a Jack Johnson nationa psychological replica body?
When I first got my Jrx-T in 90/91 ish, it had the no servo saver holed chassis, and the screw hinged battery holder. I always thought the early style battery holder was only on the Jrx-2 :?:
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Oh yeah, you're right on the chassis. Not sure on battery box at moment but if you got one new than it must be what you have.

Chassis thread

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36093&hilit=jrx2+chassis+differences

Lavigna
Approved Member

Post by Lavigna »

Thanks all for the input on the paint. I think you are right about going away from the box art body. I think I will come up with a period correct, over the top glam paint job that ties into the truck well.

Question: On the "Whole Wheat Losi" picture I posted, art those wheels the Wild Red color, or are they painted something different? I have been looking at finding a set of Wild red wheels. I also like the ones in the photo, but they seem a different color. It could just be the lighting though.

More to come. Thanks!

Lavigna
Approved Member

Post by Lavigna »

I found some Tecnacraft Ti Rods for my JRXT. It is a small, but very noticeable difference. I love the look of these tie rods.
Attachments
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Its the little details that really make a good looking vehicle. I ended up getting an almost NOS body for mine after reading this thread. Only problem was it has a few holes already drilled. And not in the correct locations. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll have something as nice as this. :wink:
Matt

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Nice work. Agreed on tecnacraft, if turnbuckle style points count, and they do, they are the best.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

lavigna wrote:I found some Tecnacraft Ti Rods for my JRXT. It is a small, but very noticeable difference. I love the look of these tie rods.
And I thought I was the only one who installed tie rods in that direction. Glad I'm not 'weird' like that. lol

Beautiful truck! Brings back memories.

Lavigna
Approved Member

Post by Lavigna »

Bottom Feeder wrote:
lavigna wrote:I found some Tecnacraft Ti Rods for my JRXT. It is a small, but very noticeable difference. I love the look of these tie rods.
And I thought I was the only one who installed tie rods in that direction. Glad I'm not 'weird' like that. lol

Thanks so much. What direction do you mean?

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

lavigna wrote:
Bottom Feeder wrote:

Thanks so much. What direction do you mean?
From the top, cranking them from back to front makes the links shorter. The reverse threads are on the right side of the car. Seems like any car I've built has it the other way around in the instructions, and many completed cars I've looked at close enough have it that way also. It's obviously functionally the same result but it makes more sense to my brain to have it this way.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

You guys have such a good eye. I usually end up with mine all different and I am too lazy to change them. So I spend each time adjusting wondering which direction they will go when I turn. :lol:

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Such a great looking truck, very nice.