Losi XXT CR Graphite Plus build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lavigna

Re: Losi XXT CR Graphite Plus - Re-Rebuild

Post by Lavigna »

shoman24v wrote:I think it came out quite nice. What do you use to straighten your cut lines?
Years of practice, sharp blades, and a fine file set.

As a kid, I absolutely hated how I could not cut bodywork cleanly. I always wondered how they could cut lines like the wheel wells so perfectly smooth. For a long time, I didn't realize you could just score the plastic, and then break it along the line. I tried to cut it out through as I went, which does not work well. I became determined to learn how to get clean cuts. Lots of practice, understanding how lexan works, sharp blades (something I never had as a kid, lol) and technique has made me a good cutter now. Not to brag, but cutting out bodies and plastics is my strong suit. Unfortunately it is not a real profitably skill in the real world, lol.

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

lavigna wrote:
shoman24v wrote:I think it came out quite nice. What do you use to straighten your cut lines?

As a kid, I absolutely hated how I could not cut bodywork cleanly. I always wondered how they could cut lines like the wheel wells so perfectly smooth. For a long time, I didn't realize you could just score the plastic, and then break it along the line. I tried to cut it out through as I went, which does not work well. I became determined to learn how to get clean cuts. Lots of practice, understanding how lexan works, sharp blades (something I never had as a kid, lol) and technique has made me a good cutter now. Not to brag, but cutting out bodies and plastics is my strong suit. Unfortunately it is not a real profitably skill in the real world, lol.
Shoot, I'd consider you having you trim a body for me. That's some nice work. I'm always looking to take a build to the next step, and this would be that added detail. Currently, my scissors and dremel are not cutting it...

This is probably why I can't paint bodies with extravagant details too lol...
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

shoman24v wrote:
lavigna wrote:

Shoot, I'd consider you having you trim a body for me. That's some nice work. I'm always looking to take a build to the next step, and this would be that added detail. Currently, my scissors and dremel are not cutting it...

This is probably why I can't paint bodies with extravagant details too lol...
Would be more than happy to help any time.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

lavigna wrote:This is the result of opening up the wheel well lines on the body. It is very subtle, but I think it looks nice, and works better with the rest of the lines of the body. I think I will eventually do this with the rest of my XXT bodies.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
That works really well!! Good work 8)

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Thanks Jammin

My Trinity game is coming strong.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

The two transmissions. One has Barracuda Ti outdrives, the other with A&L. Both outdrives are very cool, and I am lucky to have them.

It is funny how different the color of purple is on the two different spur gears. Both are new, but the colors are very different. I was hoping the HydraDrive purple spur would match the purple bolt head better. Oh well.

I have become a little obsessed with certain vintage decals. I would say I am now well stocked on Trinity, lol.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Great update and nice to see both transmissions looking ace!!! BTW you can never have too many Trinity stickers 8) In fact you did well to find that many!!!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Truck #2 is nearly complete. Still a few details to finish. I wish I knew how to operate my camera so it captured the details and colors as they truly are. These pictures are not great. Wheel disks will be painted bright red/pinkish to go with yellow wheels. Not sure which body/paint yet.

Out of the 3 rear arm options (XXT, CR, VLA) I ended up using the XXT rear arms because the silver graphite matches the rest of the truck.

Used parts are battery brace (scrubbed and repainted), Hog Bones, diff gear, assorted bearings, front bulkhead, steering rack (dyed).

The shocks on this truck are a dark green, compared to black on the other truck. I don't know why, or what the difference is.

My plan for truck #1 is to wait to build it until I have an XL chassis and MK1 motor mount. Not in a rush now that this one is nearly rolling.
Attachments
Capture9.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

Very, very, very good looking XXT!

Wow! :D
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Superb build!!! You should be proud :D

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Looking very good I must say, keep up the good work

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

lavigna wrote:The two transmissions. One has Barracuda Ti outdrives, the other with A&L. Both outdrives are very cool, and I am lucky to have them.

It is funny how different the color of purple is on the two different spur gears. Both are new, but the colors are very different. I was hoping the HydraDrive purple spur would match the purple bolt head better. Oh well.

I have become a little obsessed with certain vintage decals. I would say I am now well stocked on Trinity, lol.
Nice! What are those A&L out-drives made from? I don't recognise the material.....
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

A resto build is much more than just the colors...but when a build comes together with all the aluminum upgrades such as these, AND has a lot of thought given to a chassis color scheme, it takes a great build to another level entirely! What do you have in mind for body & paint?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Coelacanth wrote:A resto build is much more than just the colors...but when a build comes together with all the aluminum upgrades such as these, AND has a lot of thought given to a chassis color scheme, it takes a great build to another level entirely! What do you have in mind for body & paint?

Thanks so much! Body and paint is what I am currently working on. I have a set of natural wheels, and set yellow wheels. I think I will put the yellow on this truck, paint the discs a bright pink, and the body will have purple, pink, blue colors that represent the 90's.

I also have plans for a era correct motor that should suit the theme well. To be revealed, lol.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

LosiXXkid wrote:
lavigna wrote:The two transmissions. One has Barracuda Ti outdrives, the other with A&L. Both outdrives are very cool, and I am lucky to have them.

Nice! What are those A&L out-drives made from? I don't recognise the material.....
I believe they are a porcelain material. They weigh nearly nothing. I really like them but then I got the Barracuda Ti out drives, and was even more impressed with them. They look great and the different feels like butter.