Need Differential for Losi XXTcr Graphite Plus

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hydrasports

Need Differential for Losi XXTcr Graphite Plus

Post by hydrasports »

I have been having fun with my son with my older but in great condition Losi XXTcr Graphite Plus. Only thing is I upgraded the electronics to be brushless and have been hearing crunching in the differential and need to either tear into it and replace parts that are chewed up or just buy a new one. However, I am having the hardest time finding anything. Not parts or a new differential can be found.

Does anyone know where I can find one for this truck or will any of the newer versions such as the XXXT or any other type fit into the same area as on the XXTcr?

Any help would be great since this truck is in awesome shape I would hate to see it not get used any longer due to something such as the differential going bad on it!

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Need Differential for Losi XXTcr Graphite Plus

Post by scr8p »

hydrasports

Post by hydrasports »

It the same differential used with the same gears on the XX as in the XXT? I look at photos of the XX Kinwald people have posted and thinking of the Kinwald I owned I want to say they are the same differential. Is the truly the case?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

www.vintagelosi.com has all of the older manuals and exploded views on their site so you can get the right parts.

hydrasports

Post by hydrasports »

Thanks for the exploded view site. That is very helpful... now to only find the parts!! LOL

hydrasports

Post by hydrasports »

Well the reason my differential blew on me was because I upgraded my motor and electronics to brushless. I have read that doing so will blow the differential which is seems to have done. Now I just watched here at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8guwViKDyM

how this guy switched to a gear differential due to his bearing differential blowing due to going brushless.

My question is where can I find these upgrades to do to my XXT? I need to find the gear differential and the case to do my repairs. Does anyone know where to get these parts???
Last edited by klavy69 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link

Louie

Post by Louie »

hydrasports wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm Well the reason my differential blew on me was because I upgraded my motor and electronics to brushless. I have read that doing so will blow the differential which is seems to have done. Now I just watched here at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8guwViKDyM

how this guy switched to a gear differential due to his bearing differential blowing due to going brushless.

My question is where can I find these upgrades to do to my XXT? I need to find the gear differential and the case to do my repairs. Does anyone know where to get these parts???
The mod that guy in the video did is for the xxx vehicles only. The XXX-T parts aren't compatible with your XXT unfortunately. Even the xxx parts are getting hard to find these days..
I rebuilt my owned since new XXT-CR and parked it permanently on the shelf in fear of damaging the rare/expensive parts - like diff gears. It's only for being admired as a piece of RC history now. If you do really want to keep driving it you will have to expect to be paying 4-5x the cost of running a modern vehicle and really hunting for the now rare parts. watch out for the fragile front bulk head and trans case also! Subulatech does a really good replacement bulkhead if needed.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

hydrasports wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm Well the reason my differential blew on me was because I upgraded my motor and electronics to brushless. I have read that doing so will blow the differential which is seems to have done.
Hmm, i'd like to chime in here and say that in my experience this shouldn't be the case. I used to have a XXXT-CR which has pretty much the same gearbox/diff layout as the XXT and never had any problems with a 5.5T brushless and Lipo in it.

If the diff and slipper is carefully adjusted together so the slipper does its job first you should be fine. if your slipper was wrenched up real tight and/or your diff was even a little loose then its going to melt...

ManMan

Post by ManMan »

Every now and then an aluminum differential ball gear pops up on eBay ... thats what I upgraded my XXT to