I need help on my Losi JRX2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

I need help on my Losi JRX2

Post by shodog »

here is my collection of parts to build a JRX2. I'm looking for you Losi experts to look the parts over and tell me whats going to work and what isn't and what would be my best choice.

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: I need help on my Losi JRX2

Post by aconsola »

Dude you are killing me. So much titanium goodness in one picture. 8)
seriously though, The things you will want to watch out for are your turnbuckle lengths. The Tecnacraft kit on the left is for the early x-2 and x-t that used the long steering sector arms(the actual rack length) and outboard camberlink holes on the rear bulkhead. The kit on the right is for a car/truck with the short steering sector arms, and the updated bulkhead which has the inner camberlink holes further inboard.
I do not have An A/L steering rack, so I do not know how it compares with the 2 losi variations.

Step away from the RR trackers, step very far away. It is not worth the stress.

The RPM bulkhead adds 10 deg of caster, which tilts the front shock tower slightly, which makes the body mount slightly out of place compared to the molded in cut lines on the body, so test fit before cutting. Mine fit fine with slightly modified body mount holes until I put on the litesink motor plate which hit the rear of the body which was shifted back slightly.

Those MIP shock carts make for the easiest bleeding shocks I have ever had, I wish I could find another set to match the MIP shock bodies I picked up.

You should have a very nicely built project and enough to get a second one going.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I have absolutely no clue about Losi parts and cars. But, I am very interested in seeing what arises out of all these packs. :mrgreen:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

RichieRich wrote:I have absolutely no clue about Losi parts and cars.
You and me both. The JRX was out after I left the hobby and well before I got back into it.

Anthony, I guess the RR caster are out. will I have any problems with the composite craft shock towers? I want to use the A&L steering setup so should I stick with the smaller diameter tecnacraft tie rods?

Anybody have a new gear box or maybe even an aftermarket one?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

that looks like a hella fun build.

i see losi retrofit trannys on ebay every once in awhile. i have never clicked on them but maybe they fit the application you are looking for.

i'm starting to dig the jrx2's, i wish i had picked a few up before everything shot up sky high. :x :x :x :x

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

If you use the composite craft rear shock tower, you'll have to use the longer rear shocks (I think 1.2). In addition, I don't think you'll be able to use the stock body mount because the back of the jrx2 body is flat, while the pro SE is notched and dips into the shock tower. The body WILL sit higher with the SE shock tower. Also, you'll have to notch out the body (near the shock tower) if using the SE tower....the stock tower and shocks fits inside the x2 body.

The body mount on the CC front shock tower is longer than the standard x2 tower. It may stick out a bit further thant you want it to.

The stock losi steering rack is approximately .25 inches shorter (on each side) than the newer racks. You can use the a&l, just make sure that the rack is centered. It looks like you can cut the last set of holes (at the ends) is your turnbuckles are too long. In addition, losi shortened the rack width because the rod ends would pop off with the stock length.

If you're going to replace the wing tubes, be careful when inserting them...they have a tendency to snap where the taper is.

That's all i can see for now, so have fun with your project!!!

Regards,
highwayracer

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Nice collection of parts, looks like the perfect project Jim, again I shall say :) Just not that the MIP dogbones are not meant to be used with the 5-link conversion, but with the H-arms set-up. If you like I have a brand new Losi retrofit tranny with clear gear-cover and all, I don't think I'll ever use it. Oh, and by chance would you have a spare set of the blue MIP shock cartridges, I just need two of them :cry:

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

The mip bones should fit fine. I have a set of the MB-100 installed on my 5-link car with no problems. I think that the only difference between the mb-500(5-link) and mb-100(h-arm) are the axle spacers. the h-arm kit includes none, the 5-link includes 3 to "fine tune the bone position"
Jim, I would be interested to see the instruction sheet in your axle kit as it appears to be different from the one I got with mine.
Attachments
mipbones.jpg
mipbones.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
mipbones.jpg
mipbones.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 3671 times

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hey Jim - we should talk!! Have plenty of Losi gear !! :wink:

As for what you have - you need to decide if you are going to go with a period correct hopped up car - or just a "bitsa" - as the SE parts are not period - nor are some of the other parts.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I just got done building a retrofit 2.19:1 transmission last night. Maybe it's just me, but getting all the parts together for the internals and the slipper.... PIA. Metric bearings in the diff, 3/8 X 1/8 bearings for the idler, spacers here, 2/56 screws there... My poor head still hurts. And the slipper arrangement. It is like playing jenga with a 3 year old. Guess it would be easier if you glue the pad to the backing plate, but I never liked super glue that much...
Think I'll stick with the old style tranny from here on out.

Back on subject though, very nice collection of parts, you should end up with a nice X2!
Looks like the only thing missing is a battery cup with a lid on it, and some orange rear wheels...

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Hey shodog, I've got TONS AND TONS of NIB parts left over from my build if you need anything just let me know.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I thought the Retro and XX trannies are easier to build than the stock X2 trans.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I guess the trouble I had was finding EVERY piece that I needed to make it complete. The slipper shaft for the retro has a specific size spacer to go with it different from the XX boxes. 2/56 SHCS I dont stock many of either. I bought a LXT way back, and had extra tranny parts to go with..... Thought it was pretty close to being a complete gearbox. Well, when I dove off into it, there was more missing than present.

I'm sure nobody here has had that trouble before....

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

You should just send all of that Losi stuff to me!!!!!!! :D I will take very good care of it. do you need a complete gearbox or just some parts? great collection of parts !
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Mainly just a new gearcase preferably new. The one I have has a flaw on it.