Oople 2012 Vintage Cougar racer

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Headling
Approved Member

Re: Oople 2012 Vintage Cougar racer

Post by Headling »

Well this weekend saw the Oople Invernational meeting with the Vintage race on the Friday

Nathan put his gear in my Cougar and put the slipper into the Geared Club 10 box

The pace of the revised car was good, he went 2 secs per lap faster and all was looking good for the race.

The race went well with Nath running up the sharp end but didnt have the pace to push for the win, in the end Nath got a 3rd place.

The winner was Graham Northy North with a well sorted RC10 and second was a chap with a modded Procat

I'm sure there will be a report soon on oople website with pics/videos etc

Still happy with a podium for the car but was alot more competition this year, role on next year as Nath will be racing my OIN RC10 Team car!

Thanks to the RC10talk community for the help/advice on the Cougar project
If in doubt go flat out!

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

great to read all these race reports.
I'm disappointed you are giving up on the car though, and I'll be curious to see how results compare with the RC-10.

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Don't worry the Cougar will be raced still, just not at the big meetings that'll be my new RC10 OIN build.

I'll give the cougar a race at a few local tracks, I've never driven it! Lol Just built it up and given it over to Nathan.

I'll update this thread when the pictures/race report are up on oople
If in doubt go flat out!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Headling wrote:Don't worry the Cougar will be raced still, just not at the big meetings that'll be my new RC10 OIN build.

I'll give the cougar a race at a few local tracks, I've never driven it! Lol Just built it up and given it over to Nathan.

I'll update this thread when the pictures/race report are up on oople
Looking forward to seeing the pics;

I trust the Club10 gearbox held up ok?

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Yes the club 10 box was great, it had a 7.5 in it and was on astro so got a good work out and held up fine.

It had the Works slipper fitted before the event btw.
If in doubt go flat out!

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

Headling wrote:Yes the club 10 box was great, it had a 7.5 in it and was on astro so got a good work out and held up fine.

That's good to know.
I got all the pieces now to build my geared gearbox, although no instructions....
I'm only going to 13.5 in mine though.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

stulec52 wrote:
Headling wrote:Yes the club 10 box was great, it had a 7.5 in it and was on astro so got a good work out and held up fine.

That's good to know.
I got all the pieces now to build my geared gearbox, although no instructions....
I'm only going to 13.5 in mine though.
No instructions? Let me know, and I'll send you the manual.....

Go the Cougars!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

niggs98

Post by niggs98 »

hiya all apologies for the late reply but a national and Neo13 has interviened before i got a chance to write a report

as Mark said the car has had a few upgrades over what we used last year in the form of cougar 2 wishbones, cat sx shocks and a geared gearbox. we played about with shock placement and managed to fit a slipper onto the geared gearbox although taking a dremel to vintage parts in the pursuit of speed did feel like sacralidge to me. thankfully all went well and i removed the unboosted sensorless 10.5 used last year and bolted in some proper horsepower in the form of a Hpi ProFlux 8.5, we also changed the programming on marks speed passion v2.0 gt pro to a advanced turbo program and wound that up as well (mainly because last year we got tranced in a straight line by everyone else who was running 8x2 motors with lipos). we had the time to get a quick practice in the friday morning and after a quick rideheight adjustment and slipper tweak along wit)h a slight turn down of the speedo we were flying round. The car was far easier to drive than last year with the mods done and i felt we had far more speed.

a few hours later and it was race time, rather than my pole position from last year (thanks to the front wishbones) the grid being done in date order moved me a long way back and by the time i had gotten through the pack northy was having a great battle with a procat a good !/2 a lap up on the field. Although i could match their laptimes easily i could do nothing about closing the colosal gap they already had on me so ended up third

a massive thanks to Mark for all his help and trust to allow me to run such an old car for an event 2 years on the trot as well as to all those who have helped him get parts to allow me to race ;)

i believe the cougar may retire for a year or 2 now (untill i can either get mark up there himself or persuade him to allow kyle to play ;) as a rc10 is on the boards and calling very strongly. thanks all for reading and hope to see some of you trackside soon

Nathan Ralls

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

I know this is an old thred but is there any plans for another vintage oOPle race and where was the last held

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The vintage races were part of the Oople Invernationals. This year they have replaced it with an RC10 Classic class at all rounds of the Oople Offroad Series. http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143469

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Thanks pal no wonder I couldn't see it :D

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

The vintage bug has bitten and decided to give the Cougar a bit of a make over as it was gathering dust

I couldn't find a good chassis so am filling and powder coating what I have, not sure on what colour to go for at the moment?

Filled and ready to go for coating;

The works gearbox is going back in it was well as SS hardware and a good clean up

Updates when the chassis is back with me
If in doubt go flat out!

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Headling wrote:The vintage bug has bitten and decided to give the Cougar a bit of a make over as it was gathering dust

I couldn't find a good chassis so am filling and powder coating what I have, not sure on what colour to go for at the moment?

Filled and ready to go for coating;

The works gearbox is going back in it was well as SS hardware and a good clean up

Updates when the chassis is back with me
Its looking good, better than the one I had for you. Wasn't sure powder coating would work on filler, but I guess it must do?

Nice sig by the way, saw that somewhere before recently;)

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

I'm afraid to say the filler won't work as it'll come off during the baking process :(

Oh well worth a shot, it's been well sanded so hope it'll come out ok
If in doubt go flat out!

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Cougar V2 is well underway!

If in doubt go flat out!