CAT XL

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: CAT XL

Post by DerbyDan »

Nice work Neil on the clean up so far... so you're an ex-pat?.. I thought it was a bit odd that someone in the US would be drooling over the original articles on the CAT in RCMC magazine :D

Love how this thread has thrown up the discussion on the drivetrain & revealed something I didn't know about the earlier CATS - I guess the balls/plates for the spur gear effectively act as the thrust race element of the diff assembly. No wonder these cars had a reputation for being complicated! When did the design change to the more conventional system - was it a change that occured with the XLS?

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

It is actually the other way round as the spur gear ball and plate is the main differential and the trust bearing assembly sits under the main belt on the top shaft. I believe the next model which was the Procat had the more conventional drivetrain which addressed alot of the earlier issues.

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

DerbyDan wrote:Nice work Neil on the clean up so far... so you're an ex-pat?.. I thought it was a bit odd that someone in the US would be drooling over the original articles on the CAT in RCMC magazine :D

Love how this thread has thrown up the discussion on the drivetrain & revealed something I didn't know about the earlier CATS - I guess the balls/plates for the spur gear effectively act as the thrust race element of the diff assembly. No wonder these cars had a reputation for being complicated! When did the design change to the more conventional system - was it a change that occured with the XLS?

I am very surprised after trawling though many many CAT posts that the assembly I have is any different from others. All i know is, its very complicated and really I still don't know exactly what car I have and if its been modded or not. I was lead to believe that I have a XL with a widening kit and thats about it.

I am an ex-pat, Yorkshire Born, Essex Bred. Served 13 years in the RAF and received "naff all" thanks, so I moved to NY and live between LA and NY now.......which is nice. Is RCMC or even Model Cars still published, or am I showing my age now?

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Front Gearbox breakdown and surprise surprise, its nothing like what is displayed in the manual. The only thing I have to find are the (T029 T515) plastic cups for the one way roller bearings.

So it looks like as if this car is actually an XL/XLS hash job...... not very happy!
Attachments
Front Gearbox.jpg
XL Gearbox.jpg

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

The hardest thing to find, or at least I'm having trouble sourcing are the original style of stainless steel pan head screws, surely someone must still make them. I just need a big box of various sizes.
Attachments
Screws.jpg

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

They are not stainless btw, just plated steel.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Neils74 wrote:Front Gearbox breakdown and surprise surprise, its nothing like what is displayed in the manual. The only thing I have to find are the (T029 T515) plastic cups for the one way roller bearings.

So it looks like as if this car is actually an XL/XLS hash job...... not very happy!
It's not so bad, yours just has an optional diff up front rather than the spool. I think all the mods add to its charm :)

Paul.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

CAT3K wrote:
Neils74 wrote:Front Gearbox breakdown and surprise surprise, its nothing like what is displayed in the manual. The only thing I have to find are the (T029 T515) plastic cups for the one way roller bearings.

It's not so bad, yours just has an optional diff up front rather than the spool. I think all the mods add to its charm :)

Paul.
Yes I agree... If you think about it - the CAT was a thoroughbred racer, therefore anyone racing this car would be looking to upgrade it as new & improved parts came out... its like now I'm quite interested in getting the new mid motored 2wd Yokomo, but I would be looking to 'upgrade' it straight away with the optional geared differential!

As you are intending to run this car rather than it being a prestine shelf queen, the upgrade diff is a nice bonus IMO :wink:

By the way I have found many of the screws that are used for the old Schumacher cars available at this UK based web seller... http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/ Some are S/Steel rather than BZP like the originals but they look the part & have the correct threads etc!

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

DerbyDan wrote:
CAT3K wrote:

Paul.
Yes I agree... If you think about it - the CAT was a thoroughbred racer, therefore anyone racing this car would be looking to upgrade it as new & improved parts came out... its like now I'm quite interested in getting the new mid motored 2wd Yokomo, but I would be looking to 'upgrade' it straight away with the optional geared differential!

As you are intending to run this car rather than it being a prestine shelf queen, the upgrade diff is a nice bonus IMO :wink:

By the way I have found many of the screws that are used for the old Schumacher cars available at this UK based web seller... http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/ Some are S/Steel rather than BZP like the originals but they look the part & have the correct threads etc!

Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

So next on my check list of things to source is the motor.....because I am sure what i have now ( A Trinity Speedworks 350 2 Wheel Drive) will probably destroy the gearbox.

I have found a couple of murmurs on the inter web about Schumacher made motors. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they rare/rubbish/amazing etc?
Attachments
Schu 1.jpg
Pink Power.jpg
Pink Power.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Pink Power.jpg
Pink Power.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The gearbox properly adjusted can handle more than you might think. And the Speedworks motor you speak of is by no means a "Monster". If anything you might find it underpowered. -Jeff

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Jay Dub wrote:The gearbox properly adjusted can handle more than you might think. And the Speedworks motor you speak of is by no means a "Monster". If anything you might find it underpowered. -Jeff
i do hope the 30 year old plastic will hold up!

just found the specs for said motor. Machine wound 18 turn double. Connected up to a battery and wont even spin anyway
If I remember rightly, all the cool kids in school had M.G. Red and Brown dots

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

MG motors still turn up fairly regularly on ebay. I used to run Demon motors in my buggies bitd 8)

Paul.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Yes Demon, Reedy & the Schumacher modifieds were popular motors at my club when I first started racing in the late 80s. The MG brown dot was a 27t stock motor (not sure what wind the 'red-dot' was) I've got an MG orange dot to go in my TopCat, which was also a 27t stock but was I believe was the wet magnet version... this was the first non Mabuchi/Johnson 540 that I ever ran in my original TopCat.

A 27t stocker is going to feel a little sluggish in the 4wd CAT with its rather complex drive train sapping power.. I reckon a nice 15t triple would be just nice!

Bear in mind that any vintage motor probably won't perform quite as well as when it was new as the magnets do gradually go 'soft' over time :wink:

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

So started cleaning up the motor plate and the cover plate. I was given two sets, both were bent and heavily scored and in fact one set has extra drill holes (not sure why).
I started with 400 grit and then onto 600. When I stop bleeding I will move onto 800 and a little brasso. But so far so good.

I'm sure I am not the first, but do not wet and dry the plates whilst holding them in your bare hands..... yes, the scoring is disappearing, but so has most of my finger tips and palm.

As for the motor, I have managed to purchase a Schumacher pink power for $7 off ebay.... lets hope it works.
Attachments
Plates.jpg