CAT XL

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Neils74
Approved Member

CAT XL

Post by Neils74 »

26 years ago, I drooled over the review of the Schumacher CAT XL in RCMC during my Physics lesson and subsequently got kicked out of the class. It was the only car I wanted. That christmas I received a Tamiya Lunchbox.

Finally I actually own one, though not as shiny and missing a fair few pieces, it is my first CAT, and I am still drooling over it.

Bought on ebay for a very fair price, I now have something to restore to some sort of glory with my 4 year old son.

It will be a work in progress, and looking very hard at the car, it does need bits and pieces...... not sure what yet (apart from the chassis plate)
Attachments
Schu1.jpg
Schu4.jpg

Groomi
Approved Member

Re: CAT XL

Post by Groomi »

Difficult to see on my phone, but it looks like you have the XLS widening kit and 1 way front driveshafts. Lower deck looks like an aftermarket procat copy.

Nice car. I wonder what diffs it has?
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Day 2 and from what I can see, it isn't too bad. Needs a damn good clean though.

Its not going to be any sort of shelf queen and in fact I think Im going to run it, but I will keep it as original as possible.
Attachments
Schu18.jpg
Schu11.jpg
Schu8.jpg
Schu6.jpg
Schu5.jpg

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Post by LurkingCAT »

Like your story and approach on this one. Still love the old cats about 26 years after I got my first. Have fun!

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

So far I have learnt that the only RC store in Brooklyn doesn't stock anything that will help me rebuild this cat......not even shock oil. Everything is oversized, carbon graphite, Lipo and purple

I have no idea where I am going to get the complete self tapping and stainless screw set, or even anything close.

The tie end ball thingy's don't seem to exist anywhere,or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Anyway....back to cleaning and polishing.
Attachments
SchuShx1.jpg

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Got bored of cleaning, so I decided to take things apart, and even though I have the original instructions (which make no sense at all) and I am starting to get a little lost.

Along with the car I recieved a bag of spares, which I can not find any reference to in the instructions...... The image with the white Dif Gear with the bearings is what was taken out of the car

So why do I have black Dif gears with no bearings and weird thrust washer outers, are they from another car, or is it just a different type of setup?
Attachments
On the car gear.jpg
Question gears.jpg

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Now I am starting to find some real problems.
So i think my front diff is the optional extra assembly....like I said I, think, just because it looks like it has the T084 axle fitted.
I daren't take it apart because one way clutches for the front transmission are connected to some plastic cup things (T029 T515) that are both cracked badly and fragile.

Does any body know where these could be sourced from?
Attachments
Crack detail.jpg
Cracked front diff thingy.jpg

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

Neils74 wrote:Got bored of cleaning, so I decided to take things apart, and even though I have the original instructions (which make no sense at all) and I am starting to get a little lost.

Along with the car I recieved a bag of spares, which I can not find any reference to in the instructions...... The image with the white Dif Gear with the bearings is what was taken out of the car

So why do I have black Dif gears with no bearings and weird thrust washer outers, are they from another car, or is it just a different type of setup?
The large white gears are all spur gears. They are two different types - the bottom ones slot onto a pin through the layshaft, the top one is slightly confusing. Ordinarily I would say those holes are just for screwing to a nylon (MMS or Trinity) layshaft. Three holes would fit one type, the other three would fit the other type. However, if you removed it with those bearings in place then I wonder if it is part of a slipper assembly that I don't recognise - perhaps someone else will be along shortly with more knowledge.

The small black pulleys with the castle ends both fit together on the standard layshaft to drive the two short drive belts and and for the long belt to pass through the middle.

The square bits with the large bearings are what holds the layshaft in place in the transmission housing.

In the bottom pic, the black round pieces are the diff-plate holders. There will be metal washers that fit on the flat side of these to sandwich the diff and balls.

Have you got a manual? If not you can download them - may be worth downloading a few of the different CAT models XL/XLS/Procat as it is common for parts to be upgraded over time.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

You meen these - Every well assorted hobby shop carry those :mrgreen:
Attachments
xxx 003.JPG
Gone fishing

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Groomi wrote:
Neils74 wrote:Got bored of cleaning, so I decided to take things apart, and even though I have the original instructions (which make no sense at all) and I am starting to get a little lost.

The large white gears are all spur gears. They are two different types - the bottom ones slot onto a pin through the layshaft, the top one is slightly confusing. Ordinarily I would say those holes are just for screwing to a nylon (MMS or Trinity) layshaft. Three holes would fit one type, the other three would fit the other type. However, if you removed it with those bearings in place then I wonder if it is part of a slipper assembly that I don't recognise - perhaps someone else will be along shortly with more knowledge.

The small black pulleys with the castle ends both fit together on the standard layshaft to drive the two short drive belts and and for the long belt to pass through the middle.

The square bits with the large bearings are what holds the layshaft in place in the transmission housing.

In the bottom pic, the black round pieces are the diff-plate holders. There will be metal washers that fit on the flat side of these to sandwich the diff and balls.

Have you got a manual? If not you can download them - may be worth downloading a few of the different CAT models XL/XLS/Procat as it is common for parts to be upgraded over time.
Cool, thank you. I have the original manual, but it certainly isn't written like tamiya instructions. I have have a couple of others online, so I will give them a read

I will be honest, the Schumacher instructions must have been written in the pub on a friday night without the car in front of them and then the photos added after. Awful.

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

Neils74 wrote:I will be honest, the Schumacher instructions must have been written in the pub on a friday night without the car in front of them and then the photos added after. Awful.
Haha, yes I agree. Back in the day I didn't have a manual and ofcourse there was no internet so I just had the exploded diagram to go by. Having the manuals now, I don't consider myself to have been at a disadvantage back then!

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

DennisM wrote:You meen these - Every well assorted hobby shop carry those :mrgreen:
Ha, looks like I will have to start visiting Danish hobby shops. Hopefully overtime some will pop up on ebay.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

If You´re planning on joining the BST section, we can have a word about them there :)

Very nice jo on the shock, did You do the rest?
Gone fishing

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

DennisM wrote:If You´re planning on joining the BST section, we can have a word about them there :)

Very nice jo on the shock, did You do the rest?
Working on the rest right now, except 3 are from the XL but one is completely different (internal wise) it has extra seals and a brass collar.

Hopefully I can join the BST section. just very new here.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The white spur gear is 48p replacement for the original 32p gear included with the XLS cars. The spur gears you have with no holes are for a later version of the car (procat) with a simplified transmission. The white gear uses the balls as shown, and is part of the differential and drive assembly. The black gears are part of a 1 piece layshaft assembly with a different style bottom diff. Functionally they are not interchangeable. However you should be able to source anough parts to run it either way. -Jeff