My 2015 XLS runner build

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Peakey
Approved Member

My 2015 XLS runner build

Post by Peakey »

So I started this last year with a saddle pack chassis and my WASP Racing alloy front box that's took me ages to find.

That's how it stayed really while I amassed parts for it. Then about 2 months ago I got intouch with a guy in NZ who said he'd make me a chassis. After a few conversations we finished with a chassis that could take shorties and saddles, and I wanted something different and ended up with this.

So on to the build, I managed to use about 90% new parts which I was happy with. It's got a new WASP Racing front overdrive pulley in the alloy box and a new WASP Racing alloy rear diff drumb

I had to remove the old pinky anno of the side plates I had and built it up with a new MMS heatsink.

It's almost a shame to run a main belt lol

Bosscat slipper fitted

Peakey
Approved Member

Re: My 2015 XLS runner build

Post by Peakey »

Ok so onto the rest of the car and I've already happened upon a theme of black and polished alloy so why not carry it on :D

More anno stripping this time for some SV2 posts' sand my MMS ballraced steering.
The bellcranks took a lot more work than the post's.

Upon fitting the steering i found that you can't use them with the WASP front box so had to do a swap with the ones from my Procat. I'll have to strip those at a later date.

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

So by now I had a go at painting myself a body for it, it's the first I've done in 20 odd years and it didn't turn out well :lol: so I got onto Neil of NDsigns and with only 4 days to the Iconic RC revival he painted me one up and it turned out very nice 8)

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

So with the shell done I I could finish off the electrics now I know how much room I have. I went for a full brushless setup I know it's not one for the purists but it's my car and I don't care :lol:

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

That's a great looking build. Loved watching all our XLS's on track where they belong.

PS: I know I've ranted a bit about the brushed/brushless thing but it was aimed more at the nutty power being put into a few cars that just couldn't compete on handling. We all have our own ethos with these XLS builds and it just makes seeing them all together so much more interesting. :)
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

I built this car to run and mainly my deadline was the revival, I manage to get this finished and my Procat finally done (after a complete strip down and rebuild on Saturday) by 3am so after 2 and a half hrs sleep i was up and on the road to A1 Racing club.
If you ever get chance to go I cannot recommend it more, it's a great track run by a great bunch of guys and they ran the meeting in a fun and relaxed way.

The car ran great to start with it had a little too much grip but after I changed the front springs and took a row off the outside of the fronts it felt much better. It was a joy to drive and jumped brilliantly in the first 2 practice heats the first I was in 3rd and the second I was 4th wich for its first outing I was more than happy with.

It all went down hill from there, my transmitter kept un binding from the RX and then I snapped the main drive belt. Which really was down to me not making a big enough of a chamfer on the rear of the chassis.
After this I was having the same TX issue with my Procat I had to investigate, I found the source of the problem being the spektrum module on my TX had burnt out!

I had to try and salvage something from the day so went and purchased a cheep radio to finish the day off. So with missing the last qualifiers I scraped a 4th place start in the C final.

So with my cat now 2wd it was a fun final spending a lot of time doing doughnuts I think I ended up in 5th so not the best day but a lot of fun and a few gremlins to iron out but it will be back on the track soon.

The track

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

It wasn't aimed at you Ian really, I just know some people like to keep them pure and so on but I don't have the time or the patients to be rebuilding motors when I don't have to.
Plus it's mostly a new built moden car so why not put moden stuff in it :wink:

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Man it was a real shame to see such a great build like this get parted out on eBay a few months back :cry:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Retro rc wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 pm Man it was a real shame to see such a great build like this get parted out on eBay a few months back :cry:
Say more, pls?
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Peaky sold this a while back and earlier this year I saw the chassis and front diff housing and a few other things up for sale on eBay. Seems a shame to me to have a build that someone put so much time and effort into only to be parted out. But I guess it’s worth more in parts to some people