Schumacher ProCat - my first vintage rebuild

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aircooled

Schumacher ProCat - my first vintage rebuild

Post by aircooled »

Hello everyone,

so, this is my first ever vintage project, so please be patient with me.... I might have dumb questions and everything is going to be real slow ;)

Actually, I never wanted to own any vintage RC, I used to own Kyoshos, PBs and Yokokos back in the day. I knew it's going to cost a fortune and I will never run them anyway.
But than I saw this picture of a guy selling of his uncle's RC collection in some Facebook group, without being able to provide any details on the items

Did you spot the car in the back? Me too! All I knew it's a Cat, no clue which one. Didn't know the condition it's in, nor what comes with it. But for 20 Euro, I didn't care ;)

And this is what I got

It also came with this 12x3 motor

OK, after spending a few days with Google, all I know is:

It's a ProCat with a Parma body (unfortunately it's damaged in 2 areas, not sure I can save it), slightly dirty and the obvious issues are a cracked top deck and wing mounts. Of course, the first step will be to take it apart, clean it and see what else needs to be replaced.

But from checking for parts, I got totally confused about the wing mounts (and eventually found this forum), as they seem impossible to find, but later models might be a direct fit. Not sure I want to mix parts from several models, but for now that might be ok.

Also, looking for a new top deck might lead me to buying a carbon fibre chassis and top deck. Are there any available that can take Lipos?

Well, that's it for now - I hope someone might be able to tell me where to source parts or what parts might be compatible, that would help me a lot

Danf1275
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher ProCat - my first vintage rebuild

Post by Danf1275 »

Parma Fatcat shell, repros on Ebay from Penguin rc, who also do original shape.

Looks to be a Procat in very good shape, with XLS bumper. Front diff also looks non standard.

Wing mounts are quite scarce. An option would be to fit a Bosscat tower, which allows fitment of later style wingmounts, which are still available.

aircooled

Post by aircooled »

Thanks...

Once I have taken everything apart, I will try to locate Bosscat towers. Or am I going to upset some hardcore "original or nothing" Schumacher fans?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

aircooled wrote:Or am I going to upset some hardcore "original or nothing" Schumacher fans?
Who cares, it's your car, you make the rules!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Dang! I saw this Facebook post, too , but didn't recognize the CAT. Note to myself: Need new glasses! :shock:

Danf1275
Approved Member

Post by Danf1275 »

aircooled wrote: Or am I going to upset some hardcore "original or nothing" Schumacher fans?
Bosscat tower offes more mounting positions for shocks, so was probably a common upgrade 'in period'

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

For 20EU you did very well! :shock: I love the look of the airboat! :mrgreen:

I think it is chance encounters like this that sparks 'it' (Collecting Vintage R/Cs) off for most of us - I have always been into the racing of radio controlled cars, but the first R/C that got me into collection, restoring & running of the older stuff was a poorly looking Tamiya Clodbuster that I found down our local recycling facility, initially I drove away, but I couldn't leave it sitting there so went back & picked it up.... it cost me next to nothing to buy - but cost a small fortune to fully restore! & so this story repeats itself.... you end up trying to find bargain in all sorts of obscure places - second hand shops, car boot sales, internet etc etc - until you find that you have about 45cars clogging up the house!! :roll:

Back on topic! - Your CAT looks like it could clean up quite nicely & depending upon how far you want to go with it & what you want to use it for would dictate how much you could end up spending on it! A new new body, clean up & some new tyres will really transform this car - but if you want to run this car with some new electrics you might want to look into beefing up the drivetrain?

I really like the home-made belt guides on the topdeck - it was a never-ending problem trying to get the belts to run centrally on the front diff/drum pulley, this is a neat solution!

aircooled

Post by aircooled »

Time didn't allow to do much, but at least I got the wing mount done.
Instead getting alternative parts or trying to find the original, I played around with 3D software and got my version printed at Shapeways.

I changed a few things of the original design: added a bit more material and allow the wing to be screwed on.

Danf1275
Approved Member

Post by Danf1275 »

Great work. Be interesting to see how they hold up in action.