Big 6 EP Lotus Elise

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Turkbot

Big 6 EP Lotus Elise

Post by Turkbot »

Does anyone here still own/run a Big6?

I brought mine back from England about a year ago - thanks FB for the reminder! Finally it is running and I am having some fun with it. So much so I bought a 2nd on eBay and got that tricked out! The plan is the bash around with friends in big car parks!

Still working out the battery strap situation, bought some RC10 Lipo holders that will get stuck in :)

I think theses are so much fun. Simple cars, minimal set up tweaking possible, run pretty quick. Only down side is they are a little fragile (I am stocking up on hub carriers and front arms!)

Lots of hopups:

Venom tyres
Ultrashort shocks
purple turnbuckles
Airtronics (Sanwa) receivers
Castle creations Sidewinder 3 4800kv ESC/motor combo
Savox 1258GT servos with medium Kimbrough savers

I think that is about it :)

Just missing the spur gear cover for the newer one.

Thinking about adding a slipper to each as the motors are a little warm for that old ball diff!!
Attachments
The box in the background is my original box!!!
The box in the background is my original box!!!
The bay one in the back has no wing :(
The bay one in the back has no wing :(
Original is in the foreground with foam bumper
Original is in the foreground with foam bumper
Original with hop-ups
Original with hop-ups
Racing and bashing since before puberty.

proffesso
Approved Member

Re: Big 6 EP Lotus Elise

Post by proffesso »

I was thinking of one of these, throw a 1:8 motor in there and see how they go. would the gearbox hold up?
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I had one of those awhile back and had no idea what it was :roll: . I sent it down the road with a load of redcat stuff :oops:

I didn't have the body but those look cool. Get some video and let us see how it does 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Turkbot

Post by Turkbot »

Back in the day I used to run a quad15 in it. It was a beat up motor bought from the track I used to race my B3 at. It handled that fine. So I would say you are fine down to a brushless 13.5 and if you are careful a 10.5.

Remember this uses the original cougar ball diff and has no slipper... In fact, I think the transmission has bushings not bearings! Lol!

I have a real crap video pre hopups. Give me a couple of weeks to sort the last couple of details out and I will try and grab a decent vid of the pair racing in a car park... I have friends volunteering to drive, but I don't think that have any RC history... So I am a little nervous!

Hopefully another PDX racer will chime in with skills and a location!!! I can provide the cars, the camera and even sandwiches and tea!!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

On my way home every day, I take marine drive from 122nd into troutdale. Along the way is a super nice parking lot that looks very fresh, and there are often people on motorcycles screwing around and once I saw an rc'er out there. I'll have to get a better idea of location but it has to be approximately 158th or so, and the access would be off airport way. It looks like a sweet area for a pan car
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Had a NiB one up until a few years back with the project of throwing 8th scale electronics in it... but the thing IS big and takes a lot of space on the garage/shelves, and I sold it as I had to thin the herd somewhat. I'm slowly regretting it...

Can you please post some vids?

Thanks!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Turkbot

Post by Turkbot »

GoMachV wrote:On my way home every day, I take marine drive from 122nd into troutdale. Along the way is a super nice parking lot that looks very fresh, and there are often people on motorcycles screwing around and once I saw an rc'er out there. I'll have to get a better idea of location but it has to be approximately 158th or so, and the access would be off airport way. It looks like a sweet area for a pan car
That is really interesting! I am pretty near there, would be great to check it out!

Now I have motivation to get the battery holders sorted!! I'll shoot you a message, maybe you can take control of the 2nd car!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Those are pretty cool, I also like the simplicity of that chassis. But someone put the headlight stickers on wrong on one of those bodies...probably the front one, it looks like it's gazing skyward. :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Turkbot

Post by Turkbot »

Coelacanth wrote:Those are pretty cool, I also like the simplicity of that chassis. But someone put the headlight stickers on wrong on one of those bodies...probably the front one, it looks like it's gazing skyward. :mrgreen:
I have never noticed that, but clearly you are correct! lol!!! I wonder how I can remove/replace???

The one in the foregournd actually came that way when I bought it..

How odd!! :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I used to have a Big 6, and selling it is still one of my biggest regrets.... was my go-to vehicle for velodrome running, although it really would have benefited from the addition of that large foam bumper, to stop it trying to suck the front of the body under at speed!!!

I ran mine at the start of the brushless era, with a Novak GTB and matching motor, with twin NiMH battery packs in parallel for extra oomph. Ran pretty quickly, but used to melt the solder on the Deans plugs due to the heat!

I had upgraded to alloy front hubs for security, but hadn't touched the transmission... if needed, there would be upgrades that would fit, as most of the gears in the electric version were just Club 10 mk 2 parts, apart from the diff (and matching gearbox casings). Note that the nitro version was a completely different gearbox....

Great car, had so much fun with it.... nearly broke my ankle a few times!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Turkbot

Post by Turkbot »

Alloy hubs!!! I need those.... any idea what the part number or supplier would be?

We used to go to a kinda small velo type place... I twas for roller skaters. Was really weird, but was perfect for the cars to lap on!

I wish I could find a foam bumper for the other one, it has saved the car so many times......

Turkbot

Post by Turkbot »

Ok, so here is a short vid of one of them running. I really do not have enough space out on the street by my house...

https://youtu.be/qUYa6RfQajU
[youtube]qUYa6RfQajU[/youtube]
Last edited by klavy69 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Turkbot wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:Those are pretty cool, I also like the simplicity of that chassis. But someone put the headlight stickers on wrong on one of those bodies...probably the front one, it looks like it's gazing skyward. :mrgreen:
I have never noticed that, but clearly you are correct! lol!!! I wonder how I can remove/replace???
Removing it cleanly is easy, just warm up the sticker with a hair dryer and carefully lift an edge up with an X-Acto blade--maybe a blade with part of the tip broken off so you don't accidentally slit the sticker--and use a tweezers to pull it off the body. Hopefully the adhesive will remain on the sticker and you can re-apply it. I've been able to reposition stickers like that but sometimes the adhesive doesn't stay on the sticker, so good luck...no guarantees! Maybe someone else here knows of a way to re-stick on a sticker that has lost some adhesive?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3