Schumacher "C-car"

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bluewormx
Approved Member

Schumacher "C-car"

Post by bluewormx »

I've been after one of these for a while :D
I used to race 1/12th and upgraded from my Alpha track parts "omega" to the C-car. I ran it for a few months and changed the chassis out to the saddle pack version "SPC"

I gave it away to a buddy in 1991/92 MISTAKE!!!

A RC10 collector I know, messaged me one monday morning 08:30.
- I FOUND ONE!

It was still in the UK and the ebay seller only shipped to UK.
Not a problem... Little sis hooked me up ;)

It came with some really cool stuff!

futaba 132H
Demon 2C speed control
I had never seen one of these, the oldest Demon esc I knew was the 2DH which I think was the buggy version. I had several king's and proking BITD.
I re-wired it and it works fine :D waiting on some blue heatshrink for the full restore.

Demon stock motor 1x35T I presume?
Reedy stock motor.

I've made some headway on its restoration. The diff cleaned up nicelly after soaking in acetone to remove the old super glue from the diff rings. I found some Durango diff balls in 3mm so I will switch them out after I sand the rings some more.

The live axles where missing all but one of the 1/8" bellvile washers I found replacements NIP for a procat diff, its the same part.

I found the original style servo saver it has an extra hole probably for bosscat. Basically identical.

The rear damper is a mess, missing the dome nut and bottom spring and damper plates. I've ordered a nylon dome nut of what size.... My best guess. UNC 1/14-20 for the spring I'm going to try a Corally front. For the damper plates I'm going to try a similar Calandra CRC part in teflon.
We will see how that plays out.
Attachments
IMG_1309.JPG

bluewormx
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher "C-car"

Post by bluewormx »

Is it Ok to insult oneself???

The damper dome nut is 6mm NOT 1/4-20 AHHHHHHH!!!

Nothing a M6 tap can't fix ;)
Here in the photo, steering linkage in place Du-bro 2-56 rod a tap big original must have been metric, close enough.

In the goodies photo: NIB Futaba 132h original is a little tatty.
Jaco front wheels, much nicer than the nasty off white ones on there now.

The CRC damper washers look good they need to be drilled out to 1/4" and turned down on the outside diametre to 20mm.

These old cars are half metric and half imperial(stanard). What a nightmare, spare parts are crazy rare.
The original M3 machine screes are all aluminium slot head, which are really soft and in bad shape. Getting replacments is near impossible. I have decided on zinc plated since they are nearer in colour than the also available stainless steel ones.

O-rings for live axles 1.5mm x 5.5 are perfect match for originals, and they fit inside the standard 1/8" x 1/4"(#006) one's on the tweak bar.

The other O-rings are for the rear wheel sleeves. I have no original to measure so a good guess is required, #024 1/16" x 1-1/8" works but seems a bit tight
perhaps 1.5mm x 30mm would be better. If anyone can measure an original (thickness and inner diameter) I would be very grateful.
Attachments
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nice car. Great find!
Yes the Schumacher aluminium screws are quite soft and not really sturdy. Also not available anymore.
Do you still own the Omega car?

The earlist Demon ESC was introduced around 1977!

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

V12 wrote:Nice car. Great find! Do you still own the Omega car?
No I don't :(. snif snif

To be honest I don't remember what happened to it. As far as I remeber it was in the loft of my parents place in Ashford... I left home they moved lost track of it. It probably got thrown out...

When I got it it had a home made fiberglass beam which was in bad shape so I switched it for a Schumacher B-car beam. Not such a good idea because it shortened the wheel base about 1/4" which made the car a little twitchy.

I bought it originally from Jeff Wilson one of the founding members of Club Heathrow. He was a really smart guy wrote the lap counting software for the sinclair spectrum that the club used. He also built his own: speed controls; chargers; power supplys. Real nice guy.

Anyhow people would see me still running the old alpha track parts car and them show up the next week with a extra chassis they had tucked away.

I also had a red c-car chassis. Do you remember who made those? was it a SRM racing part?

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

It is quite possible SRM sold such chassis but I have no magazine left for looking for ads. SRM had a lot of stuff repackaged with their own card header.
Do you remember if the plate for the red chassis maybe was lower quality compared with original chassis?

Hot Trick made red chassis for several cars and I got a RC12L with such red one. Actually it does look good from a long distance but it is quite thin and softer than original version.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Regarding Jeff Wilson do you remember what was the name for his speedos?

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

V12 wrote:Regarding Jeff Wilson do you remember what was the name for his speedos?
Bad memory, but I really don't think he named them anything or even offered them for sale.

Maybe you are thinking of Glyn Peglar (Mr Laser) ot simply battery God ;)
Famous for matching cells but also made chargers and speed controls. Very good driver too!
I saw a laser speedo on ebay a few months back... Damm it! Should of got it.

I had one of his temp chargers. Burned a nice hole in my carpet one time because I forgot to put the thermistor in the cells. The Pack overcharged and caught fire. My mum was not happy!!!

Those where the days :D

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

V12 wrote:It is quite possible SRM sold such chassis but I have no magazine left for looking for ads. SRM had a lot of stuff repackaged with their own card header.
Do you remember if the plate for the red chassis maybe was lower quality compared with original chassis?

Hot Trick made red chassis for several cars and I got a RC12L with such red one. Actually it does look good from a long distance but it is quite thin and softer than original version.
Maybe it was hot trick, as far as I remember it was allot thicker than the standard chassis. I bought my original C-car second/third hand and ran it very little before switching to the SPC.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

I just got the an almost complete SPC from a member here :D

The extra wheels an tires have alowed me to almost finish this car.
Attachments
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Could the red chassis have been from pk racing? The first corally cars were red anodised alu dubbed 'coral'.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

I think pk corally may have made a chassis for the c-car, but the one I used to have was light red fibreglass matrial with a slightly darker red b-car beam.
I found a picture of the red chassis on google.
Attachments
IMG_1395.PNG
IMG_1395.PNG (64.91 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
IMG_1395.PNG
IMG_1395.PNG (64.91 KiB) Viewed 2166 times

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Saw your PM but reply doesn´t work. Please contact me through Classic RC museum.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

V12 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 pm Saw your PM but reply doesn´t work. Please contact me through Classic RC museum.
Can you post a link please. I cant find that :oops:

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I figured it out before you posted :oops: :oops: :oops:

Great site I have a peak their almost everyday. Great collection thank you for sharing it, :D :D :D