YZ10 Works Projects

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flustorm99
Approved Member

Re: YZ10 Works Projects

Post by flustorm99 »

Alloy bulkheads caps....:)...your right about the weight...for the day they got those cars too hoot along...kinda...:)...i remember running stuff then...so very slow...

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Well, I bit the bullet and picked up AE big bores for the '93 Works runner. SC10 rears and B44 fronts. 1.5mm pistons in the rear with 35wt oil and Losi red springs. 1.6mm pistons up front with 35wt oil and Losi green springs. This certainly helps keep the rear from bottoming out, as it has more pack than the Kyosho damper pistons could offer, plus a lot more travel than the RB5 rear shocks. I plan on taking it to the track this Saturday to see how it runs. Assuming no disasters, I'll upload a video...

In the meantime, I figured I'd post some pictures now of the Works hybrid project. There's quite a lot of stuff going on here...

Delrin front buklhead came with this chassis. I don't know who made it, but it's pretty cool and would be suitable for a runner. I swapped out the steering knuckle kingpins for some 4x8mm hex screws. These specific knuckles are well used, so I figured I'd pre-emptively put bigger screws in there to avoid the risk of losing the kingpins on the track. It takes quite a bit of effort to thread the 4mm screws in there, but they hold firmly and don't seem to cause any bind. The front tower is a '91 Works tower (I had a spare one, so I decided to throw it on here), and I added a RCPS steering brace (so it's basically a '91 Works front with a '93 Works rear). Front CVDs are a combination of Yeah Racing DB01 front universal dogbones with Team C wheel axles. The wheel hex mounts a bit far out from the outer bearing, so I picked up the slack with one washer and a 5x8mm bushing. This does make the front wider than the rear (using Lazer ZX5 SP 73mm universals in the rear, which are CVD style rather than CVA style as up front). The only metric wheel axle that is CVD style that I could find which may help with the width issue is for the Losi 22. I'll give that a try and see if it addresses the front/rear offset. This would also be helpful to push the rear wheel out a bit, as otherwise it runs dangerously close to grinding the rear suspension arm against the ribbing on the inside of the rear wheel. Rear hub carriers are aluminum units from the Lazer ZX5 (zero offset). I did not have any more aluminum rear bulkheads, so I took some Scotch Brite to one of my magnesium spares, cleaned it up, and mounted it here. I'm using the '93 style inner hinge pin turnbuckles front and rear, which are really great for picking up any slop in the arms/bulkhead. The only issue is that the more slop you have, the more toe-in or toe-out (depending on which way you set the turnbuckle) you end up with when you tune the slop out. The upper deck is from rccars4sal and was originally designed for the 870c. I decided to try it out on this chassis, and it is an almost perfect fit, with just a small gap between the front portion and the front shock tower. I'm thinking of trying to fill that space in with some kind of rubber spacer to help with impact cushioning. I did not slot the mounting holes on the upper deck for tension adjustment, and it turns out that the tension is fine as-is, when you set the motor mount and rear bulkhead in a position to accept the upper deck.

Still a bit of work to do, but so far this is where it stands. It's a bit of a mut, but I figured I have enough "pure" YZ10s and so why not try something different here. I'm really hoping the hex conversion works out, as right now my only other YZ10s with hex conversions are two 870c's. I doubt that I'll actually run this one, as I have enough runners as it is, so I suppose this is more of a concept chassis just to play around with different things and see what's possible.
Attachments
IMAG1059a.jpg
IMAG1060a.jpg
IMAG1061a.jpg
IMAG1067a.jpg
IMAG1071a.jpg
IMAG1073a.jpg
IMAG1074a.jpg

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

So I took the '93 Works for a spin yesterday (link below). Fully equipped, this chassis does feel notably heavier than the '94 YZ10 or the CAT 2000, and so you have to drive it with a bit more attention. I think the added weight would serve it very well on an outdoor loamy (i.e., old school) track. I think it has mostly to do with the aluminum bulkheads. It certainly feels like a tank, although I have found that the torque rod stay is a weak spot and I ended up snapping one during one of my runs. I have a spare, but it's my only spare and so I will first try to fabricate some of my own. It jumps pretty nicely, although as with all 4wd buggies with a center one way, you cannot pitch the car forward or backward as much mid-air as you could with something like a B44 which has full time 4wd.

I am still torn on whether to drive this or my '94 for the VONATS. I know the '94 can take more of a beating with all of the nylon parts, and that will be at an advantage since we are going indoors this year, where the walls and barriers tend to be less forgiving. I was going to run my '94 last year, but opted against it since my 870c runner felt so amazing on the outdoor track that I just stuck with it, but it feels pretty good indoors (reference link below)...

'93 Works track testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHdk8eVQiU&feature=youtu.be

'94 YZ10 at the track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGKrwFu-5Ns

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

You snapped you torque rod stay..i have run mone on our 1/8th track but used pre fabbed carbon fibre ones in 3mm and had no issues..those authentic babies r too rare to use on a runner..although i think you now currently own half the worlds supply if 93's...:) so your probably right..i hrabbed some from fibrelyte a while back. How did you like it though?

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

It was awesome. The '94 is probably better for indoors, though, but they are both very fast.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

So it would appear that the Losi 22 rear CVD wheel axles indeed do the trick. Merging it with the Kyosho 73mm dogbone does require some finagling, though. The CVD insert for the Losi part is a larger diameter than the Kyosho part, and the CVD pin for the Kyosho part is a larger diameter (and longer) than the Losi part, so you can't really mix and match there. What I ended up doing was use the Losi insert piece with an AE CVD pin. The AE pin is just long enough to run the diameter of the wheel axle, although it is a very tight fit through the Losi insert and so once you force it in there, you're not getting it out. Ever. So be sure you are sure about this before proceeding.

With this plus the aforementioned front hybrid CVA assembly, there is a roughly equal offset for the wheel hexes front and rear to result in at least comparable front and rear track widths. It's not perfect, but it is as close as I can get with the parts that I know exist. The only other thing you need to be aware of is that the Losi rear wheel axle is a larger diameter at the point where the wheel mounts. Not a problem if you are using Losi rear rims, but if you're using B4.2/RB6 rear rims like I have here (JC Mono rims), you will need to ream out the wheel hole a little bit for a smooth fit.

I may end up selling this one, but I am not entirely sure. I spent quite a lot of money figuring out the hex conversion, and the original chassis purchase was a bit overpriced, so I am doubtful that I'd be able to recover my investment here. I'll think about it...I may make a few changes to it if I do sell it, though...
Attachments
IMAG1088a.jpg
IMAG1089a.jpg
IMAG1090a.jpg
IMAG1091a.jpg

Eccentric
Approved Member

Post by Eccentric »

Fantastic! 8)
Eccentric
When did my hobbies become "Old" and "Vintage"???

-RPS Yokomo SE. Novak T4. Revolution stock. Hot Trick dual front shock setup.
-Kyosho Circuit-10 Wildcat Buggy
-Kyosho Nimitz-06. Now that's obscure!
-Marui Big Bear

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Very nice work as usual for you stickboy007.. it's funny but rc's are like 1:1 cars in the modifying thing.. you can mod your car but will usually not get back what you put in but it you restore one you can more easily.. a labor of love to mod.. chassis looks great none the less..

Shawn

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Thanks...

Yeah, well at least there's a solution now that others can follow without the need to experiment here.

I think my current set of YZ10s are more or less done. Maybe a new body here or there that I'd like to get, but otherwise roller-ready. I can build a few more from spares, but I'd rather keep the spares as spares. Soon, I'll put them all together for a big family photo ;)

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Hi guys. Ive now finished up lipo trays for 94 yz10!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I saw those on eBay. I like how you set them up so that no grinding is required. Very nice...

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

When I re design the 93s, ill send you a set.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Thanks! ;)

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I scanned these for Vale last night and figured I should post them here for everybody's reference. These parts lists came with some of the Works chassis that I picked up.
Attachments
91-works-parts-page1a.JPG
91-works-parts-page2a.JPG
yz10-works-parts-page1a.JPG
yz10-works-parts-page2a.JPG
yz10-works-parts-page3a.JPG

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

stickboy007 wrote:I scanned these for Vale last night and figured I should post them here for everybody's reference. These parts lists came with some of the Works chassis that I picked up.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=29624