My 93 World Championship Special

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Peakey
Approved Member

My 93 World Championship Special

Post by Peakey »

This reall all started nearly 2 years ago, I was talking to Reggie about some yoke parts that I was after and he told me that he was building one and was about $1500 into it.
He then said he's got some spare parts if I wanted them :rolleyes: so that's how my WCS story started by gathering just some of the parts he had as I couldn't afford all of them.
Since then I've been collecting parts to build a runner but instead of having the fragile 2M drive train I wanted the 3M as I had a slipper for it and it would be easier and less hassle.
About 6 moths ago I was talking to a member on here from Australia about some parts I was trying to locate, it turned out that he that one about 95% complete and he was thinking of selling.
Well I jumped at the chance to own a fully original WCS and finally yesterday it landed. All I can say is I'm over the moon with it it need building and a couple of small parts but that's not a problem at all.

Here's a couple of pics that he sent to me before I purchased it.

In with the deal he had another original yoke chassis that I can use for my runner that I will still build.

I just couldn't leave it in the box and not put anything on the chassis so I added a couple of bits while I was still at work.

If you don't know about the 93WCS it's the transition car from the works 93 with the graphite chassis and magnesium bulkheads, to the 94 with the carbon chassis and the plastic bulkheads.

More to follow when I get some proper time to sit down and build it up.

Alex B
Approved Member

Re: My 93 World Championship Special

Post by Alex B »

Very nice :D
:shock:

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Thanks Alex :D

I couldn't leave it sat in a box for long :D so I had a spare couple of hrs last night so I built it.

Base of the front plastic bulkhead is the move away from the magnesium bulkheads

Rear magnesium bulkhead with rear belt tensioner

The pulleys on the TCS are plastic for the M2 belts for some reason

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Rear send coming together now

Chassis done

Just fitted the White steering for now I will replace it with a black one

Just need to sort my shocks

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Nice work Justin. It is really coming together well.

A few things I can tell by looking at the photos you posted is that the left rear hub is on back the front. Also you will need washers under the 2 screws that hold the top deck onto the rear bulkhead cap. The washers you used on the steering bellcrank stiffener are not required. For appearance purposes, you can replace the locknuts on the right hand steering post (in between the plastic bellcrank and fibreglass stiffener) with a Yokomo LW aluminium long ball end installed with the ball end facing down on the bearing. It is the perfect length.

When you say the pulleys are plastic on the TCS, do you mean the diff pulleys or the actual one-way pulley?

Should look even better with some shocks, shell, undertray and wing. Will you be installing a clear shell or a painted up version?

Vin

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Thanks Vin,
I noticed the hub when I went to fit the wheels :roll: :oops: I already have the shell painted with the wing that took me nearly as long to find as the car.
I've already changed the steering now I've dug it out the abyss.
Yes I did mean the one way I just assumed they would all be alloy like the 3M versions, the only thing I can think of is so there's less ware on the belt perhaps?
I did manage to get the shocks on (which aren't right but will do for now) and undertray installed and it looks a lot better now I just need to trim the shell and collect the last few parts I need. Which off the top of my head are some white nylon nuts for the steering, correct front and rear springs and a decent set of Team car shocks.

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Will you be doing a Masami Hirosaka replica with this car? The stock WCS came with steel locknuts all round. Most racers replaced all the steel locknuts with white or black Team Associated versions anyway.

I never noticed that the front one-way (I am assuming also the rear slipper hub) was made from a plastic material. On my own WCS they are the harderned steel versions which explains the black colour on the pulleys. Very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing this car complete.

Vin

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Looking good, wonder where in Australia it came from...

I'll be following this closely, unfortunately my WCS hit a snag with parts. Reggie was having some bits made but he disappeared and I sort of gave up.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

RC10th wrote:Looking good, wonder where in Australia it came from...

I'll be following this closely, unfortunately my WCS hit a snag with parts. Reggie was having some bits made but he disappeared and I sort of gave up.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
Reggie seems to of disappeared altogether, the last time I spoke to him was on the 3rd of June, I know he was busy with his work and school but after that he's just vanished.
What parts are you after for yours?

And Vin yes this one will be another Masami rep, the runner I've got other plans for :D

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Peakey wrote:What parts are you after for yours?
Mainly just turnbuckles and a top deck at the moment, there are other bits I need but these are the most important for now.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Turnbuckles are in hand and someone should be making some soon and I'm trying to source some correct colour G10 to get some towers and top deck cut for my runner so if I find the right stuff I can get you one done at the same time :wink:

They just keep coming out of the woodwork I've been talking to a guy tonight who is related to Roary Cull and from the pics he's sent me has the remains of his 93 WCS that ran at the worlds in Basildon! It's in a bit of a state and has been pulled apart but he should be able to find all the parts hopefully. Just a pitty he won't sell it :lol:

RJJ
Approved Member

Post by RJJ »

Really nice and very special, great find Justin.

Nice build thread :)

Hanson

Post by Hanson »

Awesome car! Love all the detailed photos of build progress!
Thanks for sharing!