93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

Post by DerbyDan »

Well i'm as happy as a pig in s***t! :D I just recieved this car yesterday, i've been so excited waiting for it to come!

I saw it advertised & not really knowing anything Yokomo buggies (but always liked this generation of YZ-10 with the flat 'bug' shell & in particular I love those chunky swept wishbones) I made an offer to the seller - one that I thought was reasonable for a car, with what looked like a stress fracture on the top deck, missing battery straps & generally looked like it needed a good re-build. The seller replied & we agreed on a price (a smidge above what i'd offered)

Since then i've suddenly become obsessed with the early Yokomo buggies & have been trying to figure out exactly which model mine was. The seller described it as a 'Prototype' limited production car - as driven by Masami at the Worlds. Indeed having found & read through the timeline thread on this very forum (& looking at Charlie Don't Surf's excellent 93 WCS build thread) I think that my car might indeed be a 93 WCS? I would appreciate it if someone could verify this for me... or indeed suggest what other model it could be? Anyway here's the pictures... these were only taken with my phone so i'll get some better ones up later :)

This is a picture I grabbed from a Google search for comparison

The car has been used but it in good condition once cleaned up, the front of the Carbon Fibre chassis is a little chipped & the two outer front-most screw heads underneath have sheared of (odd?) The upper transmission housing at the back had also deformed & cracked where the brace/tie rod has pulled it over all these years. Theres also a few screws underneath that seem to have been replaced - which normally indicates that they've been threaded & slightly larger metric screws have been used to make new threads :?

After just a quick look over it would seem I need the following;

- Battery straps (prob impossible to find?)
- Rear upper transmission housing (is there a part No for this - as I think I might have a source?)
- The small screws that go through that small black strap into the front part of the rear transmission/motor mount (the heads are rounded off)
- Rear wing (theres one on ebay, but its very expensive!)
- Rear wishbone mountings (I suspect these have had metric screws, screwed into them)
- New Body & undertray (Mr Lexan :wink: )

Anyway I hope you like it - I sure am :)

One added 'nugget' is that the car was posted from only a stone's throw from Basidon/Essex - where the 93 World's were held 8)

geeforce59
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - YZ-10, i.d verification please

Post by geeforce59 »

Sure i like it! i hope someday i will get same you have! sweet ride you got there! :D

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

all i can say is your a lucky man! the first yokomo you decide to buy and it's one of the rarest. i'm not an expert on this model but ill tell you what i see.

titanium screws, titanium turnbuckles, lwp (light weight parts set), correct supported rear shock tower, t.c.s (traction control system), steering brace, flat head screw king pins, correct rear wing mounts, correct bulkhead, + the box decal stating w.c.s certainly gives it away :wink: a huge congrats on your find :D

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

marui hunter 73 wrote:all i can say is your a lucky man! the first yokomo you decide to buy and it's one of the rarest. i'm not an expert on this model but ill tell you what i see.

titanium screws, titanium turnbuckles, lwp (light weight parts set), correct supported rear shock tower, t.c.s (traction control system), steering brace, flat head screw king pins, correct rear wing mounts, correct bulkhead, + the box decal stating w.c.s certainly gives it away :wink: a huge congrats on your find :D
Sweet :P Though I must point out, the picture with the box in it is one I pinched from a Japanese (I think) site after a google image search for 'YZ-10 WCS 93' That one appears to be new-built.... mines obviously used :D

Another quick question.... does anyone know what wheels came with the kit (if any)? Mines got the Suzuki adaptors (aswell as magnesium originals)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

i was so excited for you then noticed the other pics were not yours :lol: your buggy should have pink rims like reggie's car

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15520

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Ah, I thought those ribbed pink wheels were the correct ones..... finding a set of them is going to be nigh-on impossible I guess?

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

yeah they are very rare, i hear masami dyed his white one anyway :mrgreen:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Wow :shock: Lucky man indeed 8) Congrats!!!!!!

The last kit that was on Epay had white rims (ribbed) and a pink wing, as they came as I have seen-Your car is missing the correct wing mounts and buttons as well, the Magnesium wheel adapters are correct as well-and the battery mount color can go either way-

My build is a Masami tribute car so the very expensive orange rear wing from HK and the
pink rims were a must for me but for a WCS not parts that came with the car-

And If you have that car in hand, can you pop a few pics of the bottom, and the arms, back of the bulkhead for me? And or/as you tear down?

I may have some restoration parts for that you may need, and lots more info on this bugger, and if you are going to run it, just sell it to me instead :lol: :wink:

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Yes nice find indeed, mine came with white ribbed wheels and wing and it was nib, after i found mine i decided to do a bit of research into them and found the only info i could find was from old magazines that friends had over here in Australia. I can tell you they were available only by special order through the distributer over here for $900 in around dec 93 and that was without shocks and springs and a undertray that didnt fit properly, this later bit got a bagging from the local magazines! The cars have alot of parts that were unique to this model that are probably quite hard to find in particular the fine pitch belt system but you just never know where things can turn up.

Just to answer a few of your questions...
The rear upper trans case is just a regular one that has been drilled for the support brace.
Those screws on the top of the motor mount are 2mm and easy enough to find.
This car had unique screws holding the suspension on the car (smaller steel screws as opposed to the larger alloy ones on the newer yz10) so you might have the correct ones.
And the wing i quess should be a plastic one if you want originality.

Anyway any questions just ask and i'll do my best.

Peter

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

His has been "upgraded" to the 3mm belt ( or is that downgraded :lol: )

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Charlie don't surf wrote:His has been "upgraded" to the 3mm belt ( or is that downgraded :lol: )
Well i quess that depends if you ever raced with the fine pitch or not,
I think Masami was the only one who liked those fine pitch belts......

Peter

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Cliff seemed to as well, but you know how he is :roll:

R-No said that he has one of the cars from Basildon, and I wonder why we have never seen any other than masami's??

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Cliff seemed to as well, but you know how he is :roll:

R-No said that he has one of the cars from Basildon, and I wonder why we have never seen any other than masami's??

What are you saying you want to see a few :wink:

Peter

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Well original ones from the race, yup--I like the differences in the drivers cars, set-ups gear etc :D

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks guys for the info & congrats. Charlie don't surf I'll be in touch when I figure out what I need.... theres definately some incorrect screws in the bottom.... also a couple of screws at the front seem to have threaded the plastic bulkhead - & i think bigger screws have been added at the rear also. It would appear that the car has suffered a pretty hefty shunt at some point at not only is there that stress 'whitening' on the upper deck - a quick glance at lunchtime revealed a crack forming on the u/side of the chassis itself - just along the kick-up, I'm sure i'll find more issues when I strip the car down.

CDS; I'll take more pictures of the rear bulkhead area for you also over the weekend... just say if there's anything else you need... i'll prob make a CAD profile at some point for the top deck :)

You say that my car has the 3mm belts (which would have been a worthwhile up-grade by all accounts) - is this reference to actual the width or does it relate to the teeth size aswell?

Corr - i've so many questions & ideas going round in my head at the moment, i'm not sure I know exactly what my plans are yet from the car - I suppose a good clean up & try & replace those easier to find parts first, then if any interesting parts come up for sale then maybe I could make it into either a race replica or return it back to kit spec?

Dan