93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by DerbyDan »

Managed to grab some time this weekend to lay the final layers of paint onto the 'Masami' shell this weekend.... just got to cut it out & mount the shell & apply the decals :mrgreen:

The colours were 'Createx' transluscent water based paints which I haven't used before. I've tried to use WB paints before with little success but these seemed ok.

Protection film & window masks removed

I 'need' to finish off this car now - I'm going to aim to swap a few parts across on the chassis & get the shell mounted next weekend.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Really nice job with the paint, i can't wait to see what it looks like mounted :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Awesome Dan!! That green really looks good with the other colors laid down!!

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

you made the paint job look easy dan, cant wait to see it mounted with decal's :P 8)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

GJW wrote:you made the paint job look easy dan, cant wait to see it mounted with decal's :P 8)
Its the masking out that is the real challenge - the painting just requires patience as its time consuming with all the different colours.... constantly cleaning out the airbrush etc. When I was masking out the shell (a good mornings worth of work!) I got to appreciate just how 'free-form' Takatani's designs were... in some areas of the design, you can detect that the contours of the shell had dictated the cut-line of the mask on the original shell.

On the subject of decals - I have collected a few of them (enough to suitably decorate the shell) .... some I have no hope of finding (like the japanese script & 'Takatani's) But if I could at least find the following then I would be a very happy bunny!

NOVAK 'splash' decal (I have all the other Novak decals)
KO decals (all that appear on the shell & L/H wing side pod)
Pink 'Sanyo' (to the front of the shell)
& the 'Green' REEDY Modifieds sticker for the wing

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Had a bit of time on Saturday (though actually ended up working on this into the early hours of Sunday :roll: ). So stripped the WCS down again to swap over the original repro'd chassis plate that I had Fibrlyte make for the 2nd version which has the smoother textured finish on both faces... the 1st chassis had a 'bagged' finish (caused by filled bags that are placed over the carbon as it cures). Fibrelyte used the mould that I made for them to effectively make a top part so that the finish on my mould, then gets imprinted onto the base of the chassis. Whilst I was at it I also replaced my rear bulkhead cap for one that was in much better condition...

Here's some pictures showing the underside of the chassis showing the 8/32 socket head screws that i've used for the wishbone mounts/front bulkhead to try & resemble the smaller socket head screws that should have been used when this old 93 WCS was new! Rather than the gold AE screws that were fitted in these locations on the 94 YZ-10 onwards.

I also love this area of the car... showing off the one-way TCS pulley, I also love the 'Yokomo' logo cast into the mag motor mount 8)

I also tried to copy (presumably Mike Reedy's?) the handwriting on a label & stick it my used Reedy Ultra motor :wink:

& finally heres a shot of the car with the shell cut out & roughly mounted, i'm going to hopefully apply the decals that I do have this coming weekend... by which time that will be about as far as I can go with the project.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a colorful, nice-looking car! I like that you managed to come up with a scheme that's bold, unique, and not overdone like 90% of the rest I'm seeing out there these days. Your paint job somehow managed to avoid all the tired clichés like tribals, flames, paint blobs, carbon fiber techniques, etc. Good job. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Looking great Dan!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Great work on this car. Very nice to look at.

jake

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Coelacanth wrote:That's a colorful, nice-looking car! I like that you managed to come up with a scheme that's bold, unique, and not overdone like 90% of the rest I'm seeing out there these days. Your paint job somehow managed to avoid all the tired clichés like tribals, flames, paint blobs, carbon fiber techniques, etc. Good job. 8)
I'd hardly say it was unique or imaginative...... i'm trying to replicate this car :wink:

Thanks for your kind comments on this car guys :)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Spent a bit of time over the weekend carefully applying the decals that I have collected to my shell & wing... I must admit that i've had to be a bit imaginative with some of them to fill-in areas of the shell where I haven't got the correct sticker, Its amazing actually how much of a difference the decals make... it really come alive, I'm certainly pleased with the results 8)

I'm still on the look-out for the correct decals, please PM me if you have anything that might be of use :wink: (especially looking for the KO Propo & Novak 'splash' decals) In the meantime, here's some pictures of the car, 'finished' as far as I can go at the moment, I hope you enjoy them....

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Shweet! One of the best replicas I have seen.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

That is so cool, I thought I was looking at the real car at first. Remarkable job, a real beauty! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is all very interesting!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

mrlexan wrote:Shweet! One of the best replicas I have seen.
Thanks for the comments guys, it really means a lot!

I must stress that this car was never intended to be a 100% replica.... Reggie's car will be a much closer representation... I would say its more of a tribute to Masami, so just getting the 'look' is what I was after.

I decided early-on that because the original base-car was such a rare model, & which appears to have had some race pedigree itself, I didn't want to make to many changes - certainly ones which were irreversable. I could have easily had the same chassis as what is on Charlie don't surfs car, cut down the shock towers & fitted the correct top deck with the extra tear-drop cut-out (I profiled this too :wink: ) But I would have been cutting into original parts (the towers appear to be prototypes) & generally moving away from the car's originality. Also creating a 100% replica is just so tricky to achieve... some examples, finding the correct non-scooped bodyshell (at a price I can justify) - my car has one of Jay's excellent Pavidis repros. Matching the paint colours for the shell, I also spent ages mixing & testing dyes to get the pink wheels.... but in the end they still turned out too dark IMO

I have still got to change out the white ball cups on the steering arms for black ones & also use Losi nylon nuts on the steering bell crank ass.... to add to the look... but can always been changed back if needed :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? 'Finished' pics, page 1

Looks great Dan! I have that green Reedy decal for your wing!! You'be way out trumped me on the correct decals too!!!!! Great job tracking those down