my first Yok

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

my first Yok

Post by Mr. ED »

Not a buggy, but very, very close to the buggy design.
I just couldn't resist.

The only things I replaced are the wheels and tires and I just happened to have that blue anodised front bulkhead hanging around.

The machine is in absolute topcondition: not a scratch in sight, zero wear, even the blackened universals and axles are scratchless!
Plus it got this fabulous aftermarket carbon upper and lower deck, and a bunch of blue anodised parts.

I removed the body mounts for testing out some bodies, only thing I'll need is good battery tray for the sticks now, and then this baby will see some racing as it never seems to have had before :twisted:
Attachments
Img_6854.jpg
Img_6854.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
Img_6854.jpg
Img_6854.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
Img_6852.jpg
Img_6852.jpg (95.2 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Img_6852.jpg
Img_6852.jpg (95.2 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Img_6853.jpg
Img_6853.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
Img_6853.jpg
Img_6853.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 4583 times

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: my first Yok

Post by MOmo »

Very cool. I have an old Yokomo Type J that looks VERY similar, even the aluminum blue arms.

MOmo

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Mr. ED wrote: only thing I'll need is good battery tray for the sticks now, and then this baby will see some racing as it never seems to have had before
It already has the battery holders there, the batteries are supposed to be held in by glassfibre tape, for those who want to make sure the batteries don't come out, or using velcro straps for those of us who can't be bothered messing about with a new length of tape each time. :D

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

My type J model came with a battery "box" that had a door. It fit accross the chassis, between the two belt tensioners coming off the chassis.

Im looking to get rid of the one i have. Its in REALLY good shape. I'll be out at my folks picking up a bunch of my vintage stuff. I'll grab it and get some pics for you. I have a lot of spares, you might have the YR4. mine was upgraded to a saddle configuration.

Some info:
http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=846

MOmo

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

what model is that? j something?

i like it very much.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

terry.sc wrote:It already has the battery holders there, the batteries are supposed to be held in by glassfibre tape, for those who want to make sure the batteries don't come out, or using velcro straps for those of us who can't be bothered messing about with a new length of tape each time. :D
Somehow it dawned on me one day too, and I got the Yokomo tape for the pack already but forgot to update the post.

Momo
(means peach in Japanese)

I got a battery box for side by side cells (from a triumph) that would fit. but don't plan on putting it after all. I don't plan switching to saddle pack either: since I share the sticks with other cars also.

I'll try to shoot some pics of the updated status tonight: got a new body mounted but still miss an ESC for it :(

PS: probably mentioned this before: this shop has a NIB YR4-M2 on the shelf if anybody is interested.
From the descriptions in the link by Momo, I think it is the J version: though there's no English mention of of anything along this line. It has 4 micro shocks, woven carbon chassis and a 5th shock over the top. Also has a print or sticker mentioning the championship title the car won in the US: indoor onroad, or carpet something. It would be a saddle pack configuration as I remeber (probably the reason I left it on the shelf)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Here it is with the lid I mounted last weekend.
(don't know where I lost the spoiler, but I like the way it looks without)
Attachments
Img_2695.jpg
Img_2695.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Img_2695.jpg
Img_2695.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Img_2696.jpg
Img_2696.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Img_2696.jpg
Img_2696.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Img_2697.jpg
- the moter is a 30 turn spec moter, not sure about ESC and receiver yet, servo is plain standard
Img_2697.jpg (107.11 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
- the moter is a 30 turn spec moter, not sure about ESC and receiver yet, servo is plain standard
Img_2697.jpg (107.11 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Img_2700.jpg
- mounted the front bumper between the lower half of the gearbox and chassis (the alu part was prepared for it)
- deepened the chamfers of the bottom holes so the screws don't stick out like they did before) and added chamfers to the front 2 holes (original chanfers being in the bumper holes)
- added a protective foil from Team Azarashi: great folks I met at the world championships last month. http://www.team-azarashi.com
- added a little extra protectionf for the foil and front of the carbon chassis
- removed the rear chassis protection: it was sticking out too much on the bottom side.
Img_2700.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
- mounted the front bumper between the lower half of the gearbox and chassis (the alu part was prepared for it)<br />- deepened the chamfers  of the bottom holes so the screws don't stick out like they did before) and added chamfers to the front 2 holes (original chanfers being in the bumper holes)<br />- added a protective foil from Team Azarashi: great folks I met at the  world championships last month. http://www.team-azarashi.com<br />- added a little extra protectionf for the foil and front of the carbon chassis<br />- removed the rear chassis protection: it was sticking out too much on the bottom side.
- mounted the front bumper between the lower half of the gearbox and chassis (the alu part was prepared for it)
- deepened the chamfers of the bottom holes so the screws don't stick out like they did before) and added chamfers to the front 2 holes (original chanfers being in the bumper holes)
- added a protective foil from Team Azarashi: great folks I met at the world championships last month. http://www.team-azarashi.com
- added a little extra protectionf for the foil and front of the carbon chassis
- removed the rear chassis protection: it was sticking out too much on the bottom side.
Img_2700.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
Img_2699.jpg
- cut down and mounted part of a battery mount so the tape will just serve to keep the pack from sliding out.
Img_2699.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
- cut down and mounted part of a battery mount so the tape will just serve to keep the pack from sliding out.
Img_2699.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 4234 times

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

That car looks super sweet Mr ED, keep up the good work 8) Are you going to add any of your custom touches?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The changes I made sofar are in the descriptions above the pics

I'm keeping them minimal as this treasure was already very well modified by the previous owner.
He must have spent a fortune: if I'd build the NIB and put them side by side it would really show how few original parts are onthere.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Cool, I was just thinking this was to stock for you :wink: and maybe you'd add a second motor or something wild like that...looks great btw.

When you race it can you post pics? I like to see cars being used...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Hey Ed,
I took it to the race today: tried it in practise and was disappointed at how slow it was.
So I raced the 'little posche' you've seen in another tread.
After the race I tried theYR-4 with other tires, and tightened the slipper: what a difference!

I'm running the 30 Turns motor class , so things are not very spectacular, but I'm sure gonna run this car next time. (And I hope I'll remember to put the memory card in the camera then.)

I was so happy with it , I went back into the shop and bought another 2nd-hander on their shelf.
pics, in this tread later this week. (I'm gonna keep this runner for spare parts and sell the NIB I got earlier. Keep an eye on the BST :D )

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

LOL, seems I forgot to post the pics of the 2nd YR-4. It's all in pieces now and not th reason I dug out this old thread.

The real reason is I've ben racing this touringcar regularly and made a couple updates again today. Tomorrow's another race and I decided to take a picture with the new lid before it gets wrecked.
The shell is from East Coast Bodies, forgot the model name. (It came with the flames pre-printed)

I was bored of the eternal background of our hardwoodfloor or terrace which have decorated toooo many of my pics oer the past year. How do you like the new concept?
800x600_IMG_5170.JPG
800x600_IMG_5170.JPG (111.02 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
800x600_IMG_5170.JPG
800x600_IMG_5170.JPG (111.02 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Nice! I just sold my old YR-4 with 2 speed tranny on the Bay a couple months ago. Should have kept it, did a lot of racing with it back in the mid 90's.

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

I love the truck shell, and the new background looks cool

I have a YR4 M2-J spec, with team suzuki blue alloy front hubs :mrgreen:
only thing it was missing was a front dogbone, so sourced these from US

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

purpletimbo wrote:I have a YR4 M2-J spec, with team suzuki blue alloy front hubs :mrgreen:
only thing it was missing was a front dogbone, so sourced these from US
Yeah, I picked up the same car a couple weeks ago.
I was gonna race that, but after closer inspection found some odds: the rear belt is the YR-4 one: too short: it crosses straight where the motorpinion is supposed to go. The center pulley which is part of the spurholder is all worn, and the bones are worn too. And ofcourse, the shocks leak.
I then changed plans towards updating my YR-4 with the good parts of the J-special.
But, to my surprise a partial conversion was a no-go: both cars share far less than I thought at first sight.

My new plan is to try an FWD conversion from it, maybe in M-size: if anybody has the original Yr-4 mini suspension arms to sell: PM me please