1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Toaster
Approved Member

Re: 1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

Post by Toaster »

After getting bogged down in the office for the last couple of months I finally managed to drag this project out of the closet, spread it all over the kitchen table (shhhh don't tell the mrs...she is away at the moment) and got around to shooting some clear and attacking the diffs...what a mess, the pulleys were absolutely shot and after taking a really good look at them I discovered they are actually two pieced with a round plastic plate per say glued to the main portion of the pulley. DO NOT attempt to seperate them, no matter how much you want to get the dirt out LOL, I learned this the hard way and only the most dedicated of us would be able to remove the original glue residue and have a decent enough press to glue it all back together. Definitely suggest buying new ones or at minimum soak, soak and soak...heck perhaps a pressure washer would have done the trick lol
Attachments
Diff awaiting deconstruction
Diff awaiting deconstruction
Diffs seperated awaiting a good cleaning...
Diffs seperated awaiting a good cleaning...
I come for the RC10's but stay for the Yokomo's :P

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Saw that 'Just' was rebuilding another 94' seems it is now a race to the finish :mrgreen:

Well with the diffs cleaned up with one rebuilt pulley and one new one it was time to get stuck in to the main drive components...here is some of the progress made thus far...
Attachments
yokomo 3.JPG
yokomo 5.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Unfortunately there was some pretty significant wear on the next area so I ended up stripping some parts of an 870c restoration that had stalled (it was my second one so it seemed like it was worth the sacrifice).

Lots of scrubbing and wd-40 later below is what I managed to throw together. Not mint by any means but looks good from a distance :lol:
Attachments
main 1.JPG
main 2.JPG
main 3.JPG
main 4.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

just
Approved Member

Post by just »

Saw that 'Just' was rebuilding another 94' seems it is now a race to the finish
HA! The battle is on :)

BTW: Good work so far! I sure know how much it is :wink: If you need some parts, write me a message, i have some twice or more... (except the spur gear and hinge pins for the front :evil: )

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

looking real good. excellent file job on the battery slots too.

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

I have to praise the previous owner for those battery slot filings, they must have spent a considerable amount of time on it by the looks of it now that I actually took a better look :mrgreen:

Managed to throw some belts into it last night to see how she spun, so far so good. Currently getting ready to throw a whole bunch of white ballcups into a peroxide bath with the hopes that some will turn out good enough to use on the resto. Being in Canada and given how cold it already is starting to get outside, I'll put in on my window sill with some tinfoil for a week and see what happens. How often would you guys suggest checking the parts? was assuming at minimum once a day? It is like bleach where it starts to leave blemishes if left in the solution too long?

With respect to the white front and rear shock towers and the chassis brace, mine are pretty discoloured and dirty so I will be giving them a soap/water bath this week. Does anyone have pointers to brighten them up a little? I am hesitate to throw them in bleach or peroxide without asking around first :shock:
Attachments
yokbelts.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I had asked the same question recently. Can't remember who answered, but basically the answer was to use WD40 or something similar. I tried that, but did not notice any difference compared to using Simple Green with a rag and some elbow grease.

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Well I was absolutely amazed how much dirt WD40 actually helps remove, wow. I am dropping everything into it now :lol: .

Made a little bit of progress with respect to the rear assembly, threw on the new rear arms, bearings, wishbones etc., all cleaned up, at least to the best I could get them and below are the results.

Also started soaking a collection of white bits in a bath of Hydrogen Peroxide, dumped into your standard glass pasta sauce container with a sheet a tinfoil underneither to assist in redirecting light and threw it on the window sill. It has been about four days, i attempt to swirl it around every evening to move the bits around and maximize their exposure and definitely already see a difference. Will post here when I pull them out in another couple of days.
Attachments
rear.JPG
white bits before.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

After removing alot of the decayed black foam padding on the white battery hold down's I noticed there was alot of glue residue that remained that a scrub with soap and water was not going to take off. After researching for a bit here on the forum I found multiple mentions of using Acetone and went about picking up a small 500ml jug from my local hardware store (I believe extra strength nail polish remover is also essentially the same thing?) I poured a reasonable amount into a standard ziplock sandwich baggy and dropped in the offending part and waited about 45 minutes? (I left it in a stainless steel sink just in case it ate through the bag, which it didnt but just to be on the safe side). Below you can see that it stripped off the glue residue without issue and appears to have not damaged the part in any way. Phewww
Attachments
batt hold down before.JPG
batt hold down after.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Well the Hydrogen Peroxide definitely had a profound effect on the white bits. Not perfect but definitely not as bad as they use to be and will pick out the best ones of the lot. rinsed them thoroughly and then gave them a quick wash with dishsoap just in case.
Attachments
white1.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Looking neat!!! I've use goo gone to remove stubborn sticky residues and black greasy stains. Works great.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

The yoke is coming along great.. Used the peroxide soak on my parts and a bit of sun and came out great.. I had mine in peroxide for a week.. got 8 hours of sun a day and took them out every night with just a good rinse of clean water.. last day I did the same with a wash in dish soap.. This place is where I got the peroxide info and it came in handy..

The 94 builds are giving me an itch to get one.. :lol: keep up the great work!

Shawn

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Looking clean, those white parts are pesky indeed, but your getting there. Loves the '94!

lee

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Awww shucks, <kicks stone> thanks guys!

Posting more pictures tonight of where it sits, finally found some used front arms that didn't have holes drilled through them and have started piecing the shocks together.

Quick question, does anyone know the proper length of the front and rear shocks? The heavily used ones I do have for the moment all appear to be sitting at different lengths lol and I don't see any mention of the factory length in the manual. See pic :lol:
Attachments
shock length.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Firstly a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone, hope Santa remembered that we all have serious R/C addictions that require sedation every once in awhile lol.

Received an early xmass present with the below coming in the mail, never realized how happy I would be to get a 1/2 inch piece with two small holes in it and a couple of skinny screws :lol:

Also found a pair a very lightly worn front arms and am in the process of cleaning them up now, pictures coming shortly.
Attachments
ZD-305 Yokomo
ZD-305 Yokomo

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration