Hex rims for '94 YZ10?

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

Hex rims for '94 YZ10?

Post by stickboy007 »

I am aware of (and have implemented) a hex rim conversion for my 870c, but for a while I have been curious about doing the same for the '94 YZ10. I have enough Yokomo wheels now to not have to worry about it, but I did some fishing and came up with the following CVD kits that may work for this (listed below). They are from Team C, with 78mm in the rear and 83mm up front. Looks pretty close to the '94 universals in terms of length (might be 1-2mm longer, so maybe some shimming on the wheel axle is needed), and they are quite reasonably priced. Wondering if anyone has, or would care to, give this a shot and post the results...

rear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331085292935

front:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350952067807

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: Hex rims for '94 YZ10?

Post by stickboy007 »

Gotta do it myself, I guess. I ordered these yesterday. We'll see if it works, otherwise that's $50 down the toilet.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

But why man, why :D
For 10 bucks more You could have the real deal?
Gone fishing

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Because I like to experiment ;)

I think especially for people who are new to the YZ10, it is easier to run modern rims and universals if they can, rather than hunt down spare original universals. JC Racing wheels are easy enough to get, but they are not cheap, in part because of shipping. I ordered four sets of rims (two sets of yellow dished and two pink dished) and it set me back ~ $80 USD. Ouch! I could spend about half that on the same number of modern rims.

So the advantages are apparent, I think. You can run the same rims on your modern and vintage runners, which means cheaper rims and fewer sets of tires you'll need to purchase. I did the same for my 870c and am very curious if it is possible for the '94.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

No workie :(

I took some measurements myself and I need something like 73/75mm, so these Team C units are too long. Gotta keep searching...

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Have you tried the wheel sets off that auction site we know and love? There from Germany, white dished ARP IIRC, i bought a quite few sets to use with foams, seem to work fine and decent prices?

lee

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Hey ralphee I bought 2 sets myself for my works93..ARC wheels.. I got them when they were a bit cheaper than they are now but they are pretty good.. do you think they are dyeable? Wanted to do one set black but I am not sure.. just wanted some imput..

Stickboy007.. how long were the team c uni's?

Shawn

edit:the wheels are amark..

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Shawn, yup thats the one buddy, ARP, Amark, really good, not sure about dyeing though, i want a pink set, may have to try it for my first dye job, think I've got a couple of NIP sets left.

lee

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Lee, I think I might know which wheels you are referring to, although I do not see them on eBay presently. Haven't tried them, though. I just have JC Racing rims and several sets of original rims from my various YZ10 "acquisitions." This is more of a project for me to see if I can make it work. There are tons of CVDs out there. I'm sure something will fit ;)

Shawn, the Team C units are 78mm rear and 83mm front. The axles from the front CVD look to be about the right size, but the dogbones on both are too long.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Ok, I think I might have this figured out. Give or take ~ 1mm, I measure the following. Reference points are center of the dogbone pin to the center of the universal joint.

ZC 422 = 74mm
ZC 423 = 79mm

I understand there are variants of the ZC 422 and ZC 423 parts, for the different YZ10 variants, but the dogbone length is what matters here and is consistent across the variants. 422 goes to the rear and 423 goes to the front.

As a point of reference, we know that the "standard" 870c setup uses the same universals front and rear. These can be swapped out for Top Force universals, or DB01 rear universals, or 3Racing Lazer ZX5 front universals (ZX5-19-HD), all of which measure ~ 68mm in dogbone length (wheel axles have different sizes between them, I think, so different shimming may be needed). The long front arm version of the 870c will require Kyosho LA257 up front, which has a 73mm dogbone length (this is for the ZX5 FS2/SP). We may be able to use this same part on the rear of the Works and '94 YZ10s, with ~ 1mm of shimming on the inside to push the dogbone into the diff outdrive a little bit and still (hopefully) have clearance on the outside of the hub carrier to mount a hex wheel hub. Only concern here is the price, since I've yet to find a cheaper substitute.

The front part is trickier, since I have yet to find a 79mm dogbone on a universal. I decided to take another look at the DB01, and sure enough, the front dogbone there measures 79mm. I do not know if the front DB01 wheel axle is long enough, though, but Yeah Racing makes a front/rear set for ~ $27 from rcmart (dinball on eBay), so I can mix and match if need be.

Since this would appear to work for both the '94 YZ10 as well as the Works YZ10s, I think I'll take the dive and give this a shot - DB01 fronts for the front and FS2/SP fronts for the rear. Fingers crossed...

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I hope your db-01 experiment is successful! Its getting pretty frustrating trying to shoe all the different buggies.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Status update:

I found a set of 73mm Lazer ZX5 FS2 SP universals on eBay at a great deal (I think somebody was parting out a kit), and they just came in the mail. I first tried mounting them on the rear of a '94 YZ10. With the dogbone pushed as far to the outside as it can go, you can see there is still a fair amount of "safe" room to the end of the diff outdrive at full droop. There is also just barely enough space to fit a drive pin and a wheel hex (no shims used at all here). Looks like we have a solution for the '94 rear :)

Then I tried mounting it on the rear of a Works YZ10. Pictures below show the Works rear universal is just a little bit longer, but the 73mm Lazer universal still fits at full droop and the rear hub carrier with a little bit of positive camber. I would say the fit is marginal, but definitely do-able. If you want to be on the safe side, you can put some downtravel limiters in the rear shocks. I have noticed in one of the screenshots for the new Hot Bodies D413 that the front universal has "75mm" written on the dogbone. These might be an even better fit for the Works models, but it appears the 73mm Lazer universals will also work. We'll have to wait and see whether the HB part is cheaper, but I doubt it, since they overcharge just as much as Kyosho does for their stuff.

DB01 universals are still in the mail. Will post pics once I test them out.
Attachments
IMAG0923a.jpg
IMAG0924a.jpg
IMAG0925a.jpg
73mm Lazer universal on bottom, '94 YZ10 rear universal on top.  Pretty much bang on.
73mm Lazer universal on bottom, '94 YZ10 rear universal on top. Pretty much bang on.
73mm Lazer universal on top, YZ10 works universal on bottom.  ~1-2mm short.
73mm Lazer universal on top, YZ10 works universal on bottom. ~1-2mm short.
IMAG0929a.jpg
IMAG0930a.jpg

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

EEExxxcelent! Ive ordered up those 3racing parts for my works 91.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I am quite certain 3Racing does not make the 73mm part for the ZX FS2 SP. They do make the 68mm part for the original ZX5 fronts, and the original ZX5 rears which are something like 64mm. As far as I know, you will have to buy the Kyosho part if you want the 73mm universal.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nice detective work. I have looked at some YR4 parts, maybe you are better off scoring yr4 universals, and just swapping the axle ends on to the longer bones. I believe the universals are all the same for the yokomo cars. just need to press the pins out. granted they are also not in production, but I do see them often enough on ebay.