Mr. ED and the dawn of the MX834

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Mr. ED and the dawn of the MX834

Post by Mr. ED »

Thanks for your input Al.

The front shocks of the MX4 are very tall already: comparable to the blue team shocks of the T4.
I won't destroy the original shocktower but make a smaller one so there's still a way back. But I'm quite sure it's gonna look great with the laid-down shocks.

By the way : I have cut a new chassis for this; from a beat-up JRX-2 chassis and cut belly pan to size: from a tamiya top-force (I think). Need to make the pics still but I first want to finish it up a little furhter.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Things have changed a little: I subscribed for a race the first weekend of February.
For 2WD I'll probably run my new yokomo for the first time. And 4WD... well either an optima, the bling-bug mid, the pink wyvern, still-to-build lazer, my hot-dog works or.... yep: the MX834 :twisted:

So I've been working on the front end to increase the suspension travel:
  • I had to put in the MBR4-BC U-J's instead of the MX4 CVD's; somehow the CVD's were a bit too long and limited up-travel as they jammed into the outdrives. Result: about 10mm more travel upward. Thumbs-up smiley where are you when I need you?

Down-travel was limited by the lower kingpins hitting the under-arm crossbrace. Picking the alternative hingepin location on the carriers gained me about 10mm down-travel.
    I also filed the area where the u-j goes through the carrier to give it a bit more clearance when the arms are at their lowest.
So overall I ended up getting an extra 20mm suspension travel in the front.
The rear was less problematic to start with, but I moved the shocks to the back of the arms anyway and made a new rear shock tower adding a little more ground-clearance.
Unfortunately I forgot about integrating the holes for a wing mount :| will hahave to fix that and get started on the front tower next

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Mr. ED and the dawn of the MX834, or mxx4?

Post by Mr. ED »

Long due update: the 834b body was no good for a racer, so I guess it's an mxx4 now.
WP_DS20160216(1).jpg
I modified the hubs and axles after reading here how they'd come loose systematically.
WP_DS20160216.jpg
In the end I ran out of time and only had this mod on the front for the 2 days race. It worked well, but I didn't have any issues on the rear either.

The car went pretty good, especially considering the front shocks bled half empty. Unfortunately the axle of my motor came out of the can and that destroyed a spur. The belt stretched out and the servohorn slipped. And then there was the heat I missed, and one I quit halfway: thinking something was wrong but it turned to be just some clay stuck in the wheel.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Oh, yes, I did forget the heat in which the axle bearings on one front wheel both disintegrated. But still this car handled better and gave me better runtimes than my completely new bmax2 that didnt break but kept me busy tuning for 2 days.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Kinda funny about the bearings. My mr4bc killed some front wheel bearings too. I ended up having to wrap heat shrink around another bearing and run it. Thats one thing I need to order up, a bunch of mx4 mr4 yz10 bearings in the various sizes.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This is quite close to what I originally intended for my build ,My plan was for an external replica of an 834b but internally for it to be a modern transmition ,plans plans plans ,they never seem to go as intended .
The one thing you could do to make it look right would be the roll hoop ,in my other hobby i make replica airsoft guns and you quite often have to make compromises in the design to make them work ,the art of it is to look at the orginal design and to define the details that make it iconic and unique and this follows for any replica build and what this lacks is the roll hoop ,you can get away with the twin shocks front and rear as that was a real feature on later models but the roll hoop would top this off a treat .
Edit Sorry I only read the first page before my reply .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I fully agree that roll bar is a major element in the look of this car.
I was hoping you'd trade me a diy one for the front axles I posted on Oople :mrgreen:
That way my next try is one step closer to the goal already.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Good to know, but I'll probably have a go myself at making one when the project gets to that point. Which reminds me, you never told me the width of the bar?
Those front shafts are not what you were looking for apparently. Do you mind explaining why?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I already have a good condition pair of original stub axles and one way roller hubs ,its only the dog bones I need ,it would take more modification to adapt what you have than to modify a set of RC1O dog bones and it keeps it nearer to original spec .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

the aluminium bar is 15mm by 3mm and you need under half a meter .