BEATEN UP YOKOMO 834B DOGGY

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DemZ
Approved Member

BEATEN UP YOKOMO 834B DOGGY

Post by DemZ »

Hi yokomo fans, i just bought a beaten up yokomo 834b SE, the buggy hasn't arrived yet so i don't really no how bad it is but i am not to stressed because i justb bought a huge ebay lot which contains a whole heap off Vintage Delta Yokomo Dogfighter 834b Hop-up Parts which consists off a normal chassis and a Optional Long Chassis, 2 sets - Hardened Steel Diff Halves, Rear Crossbar, Roll over Bar, Alum. H Braces, Fiberglass Rear Arm Stiffners, Rear Anti-Roll Bar, 2-Rear Shock Kits, Front Shock Kit, 5-Front Shock Bodies and Rods, 5-Rear Shock Bodies and Rods, 5-Shock Spring Adjust Collar, 10 each- Shock O-rings, Cylinder Nut, Pressure Spring, Pressure Spring Guide.
Once the car arrives i will post some photos to try and get some advise on the best way to clean and restore the buggy, some people might think it is beyond saving but from the first time i saw it i just had to have it, even in its severely beaten state lt still looked awesome and i knew i had to try and restore it, Ever since i was a teenager i have always loved the 834b, i remember when Gil losi won the world championship i went straight out and got my first job to try and save the money up to hopefully buy one which never eventuated , and like a lot off vintage RC collectors i couldnt afford one so getting this one closes a 30 year old chapter for me.

This will be my first ever Resto project and this is something i would have never considered before finding this site, its because off RC10TALK and all the members on here and how helpful they is what gave me the confidence to give this project a crack.

Also i was wondering if any one can help me out with finding a F/R set off the yellow wheels and the yellow battery brace or point me in the right direction because from the photos i can tell they will need replacing, or a second option is if some one knows were i can find a set of the alloy wheels, that would be greatly appreciated and one last thing does anyone make a reproduction off the SE body, ebay has the original 834b body and the RSR body but i cant find the squarish SE body thanks.

Also if some one needs some brand new front and rear shocks for there yokomo please feel free to contact me as i dont need 5 off each and am more than happy to help, also i will eventually get rid off all the new parts i dont use( i dont need 2 chassis) so again if your interested in anything on the list which is doubled up feel free to contact me.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: BEATEN UP YOKOMO 834B DOGGY

Post by GoMachV »

Can't be worse than the one I found a couple years ago! Haha
Attachments
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

Mine is held together with a cable tie lol

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Actually, it doesn't look that bad tbh.

I suspect you won't need much to fix it up.

You have hot laps wheels there. They are not so common.

Good luck.

Pargustore does alloy wheels.

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

naushad wrote:Actually, it doesn't look that bad tbh.

I suspect you won't need much to fix it up.

You have hot laps wheels there. They are not so common.

Good luck.

Pargustore does alloy wheels.
They are out off stock, i sent him an email asking when they might be back in stock but no response

rcpitwork

Post by rcpitwork »

About the one which u brought( wonder dog)
Hope all are good but the chassis have drill some hole.

Actually my friend have a very bad experience with this seller.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

WOW. More spendy than a 97.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That's actually in pretty nice condition. Mine was way more hammered. I look forward to seeing how yours comes out.

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

tamiyadan wrote:ah you took the plunge on that one.

since you will be using the delta parts the only stuff to worry about is the plastics.

the gear case and the rear arms are kind of hard to find since they took beatings.
the gear case is usually broken on the bottom motor mount bolt.

the rear arms can be damaged or cracked.

in the end it depends what you are trying to restore. many times the parts can be broken but not effect the ability of the car to run.

the zip tie on the back holding the rear guard could mean nothing, could mean the guard is broken, or the gear case is broken.
functionally that part is basically a rear bumper. the second job is it holds the zip ties that help keep the rear trailing arms from spreading under load or shock

getting a new Guard is very easy you can go stock or aftermarket. the issue is if the gear case is cracked. if the zip tie is just there to stiffen it up then your fine otherwise you need a new gear case and they go for like 60-150$ a pop. usually that new gear case is used as NOS parts never come up.so you want to ask the seller if anything is cracked on it. i got burned on a gear case replacement because i failed to find out if the lower motor mount was cracked or not. looked correct in the photos but once you put a bolt in it the plastic was obviously split. Functionally it would not stop the car from working, but from a collectors standpoint it wasn't good.

most people that installed the delta stiffeners for the rear trailing arms, then modified the rear arms to make them lighter and would cut off or drill holes in the original parts.
again doesn't hurt the car from running but looks bad on the display shelf.

other then the gear box and rear arms being expensive and rarer to find everything else you can get, now the shocks are another story and you have options if you need to get replacements. the one you bought appears to have the original shocks.

tires are easy to get depending on how you want to play it. the hard to find expensive tires are the RPS 1.75" team losi branded tires that came with the RPS kits.

team losi either copied proline or ripped off proline for those tires. so you can get the same tire as the rps car from Proline they are the 1.75" champion proline tires and they are reproduced because of the Rc-10 re-release kit. so you can get tons of them cheap.

i'm running proline tires on my rps because team losi ripped them off from proline anyway.

otherwise you can fit any tire from 1.9-2.2 on the car using different yokomo rims and offsets for the rims.
Thanks for all that info tamiyadan, the bloke i bought it off speaks very bad broken english so if i ask him if anything is broken or craked he wont no what im saying so i guess i will have to just wait till it arrives, I know this restoration will take a while but im not to stressed cause i dont plan to run it thats why i am looking for new wheels and yellow battery brace, i suppose if i cant find any i can always clean and re dye the originals.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

The battery tray looks ok?

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

RC10resto wrote:The battery tray looks ok?
I hope your right i cant tell by the photo if they are black marks or a bad photo, im hoping that its just dirty, and a good clean will be all thats needed but i doubt it lol.

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

Does anyone no what body that is and does some one to a repo off it.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Looks like a Funco body?

Maybe TBG do it.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Was this the yoke that recently sold for $552 on eBay? That's some serious coin

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

tamiyadan wrote:yes one in the same..$553.00 on ebay BIN

The body is called the Space capsule . it is a rare body and nobody is currently producing it.
rumors were it was a japan only body.

last auction for one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RARE-Yokomo-834-B-Space-Capsule-Body-/291643500180?hash=item43e74ea694:g:Ez8AAOSwbdpWbd4u

Unfortunately the body in the eBay auction is just a Bolink Funco body and has a air vent cut in front of the cowl but the real body has formed scoops in that same spot in front of the cowl and also on the top.

This is all very interesting!