Can Vintage Yokomo YZ-10 make addictive? :)

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Micholix

Can Vintage Yokomo YZ-10 make addictive? :)

Post by Micholix »

Hello vintage yokomo comunity,

I just registrated at rc10talk yesterday and i want to introduce myselve and my newly purchase!

I started rc, back in the mid to end of the '80 , with an Tamyia dragon fighter, i think it was called so, cant remember anymore!?
A friend of mine had an Tamyja Monter Beatle and we were driving the hole day at an motor cross track, at the summer hollydays, than another friend starts to seriuse rc racing and he first had an kyosho, i think and than he changed to yokomo yz-10, this was the first time i got in touch with those fantastic cars.
Than, when i got 16, or so, i sold all my rc stuff.
Back about 10 years ago, i started with rc planes to tinker arround and bought my first Associated car, the the next fiew took not to long, so the hobby room could need a shelf.... :P

Now to the yokomo car, it is an yz-10 '94, witch was for sale in an austrian online trade market, a view weeks ago, including all vintage electrics, an futaba megatech transmitter, some extra LRP brushed motors and chargers, for a realy good price!

After searching thrue this great forum for quite awhile, i want to show you my first purchase, which more likely found to me, than i was looking after.

It did come nearly new/unused with original manual and parts catalog, but without original box, and only some little scraches at the suspension arms, and of course, the phillips screws where worn.
The original body shell and the front bumper were missing too, but that was all.
Oh, and the previus owner did paint the kit wheels with some funny white colour, more droped the colore over them and to my bad, he was sanding the wheels before, so i have to change them too.

I started to disassamble the hole car, bought some new screws and hade a look for the missing parts.
I was posting some "wanted to buys" in a fiew rc forums and...

....than my yz-10 addiction starts!! :shock:

Here are a fiew pictures of my first purchase, as it looked like, when i've got it:
My first yz-10 '94
My first yz-10 '94
image.jpeg
IMG_20160420_143611.jpg
IMG_20160420_143406.jpg
WP_20160422_18_28_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20160422_18_29_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20160428_20_58_32_Pro.jpg
Edit: attached some more pics!

Micholix

Re: Can Vintage Yokomo YZ-10 make addictive? :)

Post by Micholix »

In that time, i was rebuilding the '94 and was waiting for a repro body, undertray and repro bumper i bought in the bay, to finish my project, i more and more was fascinated of those advantage design, wich was allready over 20 years old/young and sad in the same time, it comes allready to an end! :cry:
I more and more wanted to drive this car at the track and not put it on the shelf and look at it, but it was so nice and clean now!

I'm getting in real troubles now, what should i do, drive it and decide to maybe break some parts, or put it at the shelf, have fun to watch it, but never will know, how it drives compared to my modern rc buggys i have...

...and than, i've got a massege from a very nice guy, mikko from finnland, that he does have some parts for the yz-10, he may want to give away, and those pictures pop up at my display:
parts.jpg
wheels and tires 1.jpg
cars side.jpg
I could'nt resist and took the offer! :D

Now i'm lost, nobody can help me anymore! :lol:

Problem #1 was solved and i can keep my '94 as an shelfer.

But...

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

fly your freak flag proudly...yokomo is worthy of an addiction. 8)

Nice buggy you got there. Looks great. You can always take it out for a few laps and go at it about 3/4 throttle to see how it drives vs. your modern buggys since dirt comes off pretty easily and will give you some more quality time with that yokomo. My opinion comes from 'runner blood' though since all my stuff gets run...used to anyways :oops: . I'm sure there will be some out there that will say shelf it but in the end its up to you whether you want to run it for awhile then shelf it or not.

Keep us posted on how it drives :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Micholix

Post by Micholix »

But...

... now the real addiction started!

My '94 is allmost finished and ready for the shelf, but, now i have two more parts Chassis to work on, the '95 Pavidis will be restorated and find it's place beside the '94 at the shelf, and the other '94 will be my runner Chassis.
The runner car will become some Asso V2 threaded Shocks and some aftermatket/hop-up parts on it, for easyer maintaince.

Now, i have to find missing parts for two more cars, to finish... :)

Here are a fiew Pictures of my '94 shelfer and of the two other Chassis, as they look right now.
WP_20160504_19_09_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20160504_19_09_06_Pro.jpg
YZ10 95 Pavidis.jpg
YZ10 runner.jpg

Micholix

Post by Micholix »

klavy69 wrote:fly your freak flag proudly...yokomo is worthy of an addiction. 8)

Nice buggy you got there. Looks great. You can always take it out for a few laps and go at it about 3/4 throttle to see how it drives vs. your modern buggys since dirt comes off pretty easily and will give you some more quality time with that yokomo. My opinion comes from 'runner blood' though since all my stuff gets run...used to anyways :oops: . I'm sure there will be some out there that will say shelf it but in the end its up to you whether you want to run it for awhile then shelf it or not.

Keep us posted on how it drives :mrgreen:

Todd
Hello Todd,

Yes, i'll report how it drives, when i'm getting to the track with it, but will take a while, as i have to find all the missing parts, to complete the runner...

Have some parts comming in the next couple of days, but still looking for quit a fiew!

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Real nice collection. Im also addicted to Yokomo. They are beautiful and simple designs.

Micholix

Post by Micholix »

Thanks.
Yes, you are absolutly right, especialy the yz-10 and also the mx-4 are my vavorits!
Actually, it starts just up from the 94, in my opinion, i do not like the wcs, or works that much.

Does anyone know, if there is an broader rear belt out there, i've got a broader diff pulley and want to use that in my runner car, could be an aftermarket too.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

The broad rear diff pully might be from mx4 or mr4 bx. It might not fit in yz10 models. I dont know of any broader belts sorry. Possibly an mr4 mx4 belt?

Micholix

Re: broad diff pulley!

Post by Micholix »

Thanks for that info too!
I've built the rear diff with the wider pulley, but it does not fit in the space anyways, so will skip that idea...

The pulley is zg-503, it sould/could be from older yokomo touring cars, a friend of my told me!?
It's 2.5 mm wider than zd-503.

BR
Mike