YR-4 custom buggy conversion

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Re: YR-4 custom buggy conversion

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:40 pm It took me quite a bit more than 5 minutes to do this . But it went pretty smooth. I'm glad you like them.
They are easy enough to modify, so maybe some day I'll make some slightly shorter ones to use with cvds and hex wheels with more neutral offset.
You did a great job. In no way did I mean to downplay the work involved here. I was just trying to convey how blown away I was by your work. I'm going to find someone to produce these as soon as I can. I want a set right now! I will be getting a cnc mill capable of making things like this but it may be a little while. Unfortunately I'm not as wealthy as I would like to be :lol: They aren't extremely expensive however it will take some time to put the money together. What file system have you used so I know what to say when I find someone to make them for now? I will also have to get your information so I can compensate you for your work. I would never take advantage of someone else's work without fair return.

I've been meaning to ask... Where are you located? I've seen some of your other posts and I'm pretty sure you're not in the states. Just wondering if ya don't mind me asking.
They asked me what I was thinking!? I simply told them... I wasn't. :roll:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

If you ever get that cnc mill, I'll get behind the pc again and you can make me some small stuff.

I'm in Belgium, but you may find old posts from my time in Japan (2 years). I also lived a year in China, but that was before I joined the forum.

I made the design in Rhinoceros but their native format is not something that you're likely to be a able to import in a cnc software.
Rhinoceros will export to quite some different formats. Which format you need, that depends on who will make the parts and how they will make them.

So, send me your email by private message, and I'll send you a technical drawing in pdf format. That way you have something to communicate with a potential supplier.
Since you're in the US, I suggest you take contact with forum member GoMachV

PS:
I just finished the drawing for the left front arm. I guess the mirroring is no problem.
front left machined-drawing.jpg
Now on to the rear arm: bit harder with the angled stuff inthere.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Unless there's anything to correct, clarify or improve... the drawing for the rear right arm is done
rear right machined-drawing.jpg

Allen, just to be sure: you do know the wheels of the 91-92 yokomos are quite particular and need special mounting hubs right?
I mean you won't be able to use the 12mm hex wheels wheels you have, not even if you have a fitting U-J or cvd. The offset on your wheels would put the wheels too far out still to be legal.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Allen, just to be sure: you do know the wheels of the 91-92 yokomos are quite particular and need special mounting hubs right?
I mean you won't be able to use the 12mm hex wheels wheels you have, not even if you have a fitting U-J or cvd. The offset on your wheels would put the wheels too far out still to be legal.
[/quote]

Yes I'm aware. I assumed that you were designing these for use with stock carriers and wheel hubs. That's no problem. I'll pick up a set of wheels and hubs before all is said and done. One question though. Are the yr-4 carriers and c hubs anything like the yz10 set up or will I need to pick up a specific 91-92 yz10 set? I'm sure they are different somehow but do you think they will work?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yes they are very similar if not the same. There are a bunch of subtleties with the cars but most stuff can cross.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

They were identical with the stock yr4 items. Later versions of the yr4 used some different versions.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Thanks for the info guys and thank you Mr. Ed for the offer on the parts. I want to get the arms made first but I will likely take you up on that.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Found a picture from before I started the conversion. Just a plain old Yr-4

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

The new steering plate in place.

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Wow what can I say other than wow!
Totally blown away by your build, I've got a similar YR4 sat doing nothing well I did until now. I might know a guy that would be able to mill some arms let me have a word and I'll let you know. He's currently working on some nylon yoke ones for me but he's a busy guy :roll: :lol:

But like I said awesome build!

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Peakey wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:19 am Wow what can I say other than wow!
Totally blown away by your build, I've got a similar YR4 sat doing nothing well I did until now. I might know a guy that would be able to mill some arms let me have a word and I'll let you know. He's currently working on some nylon yoke ones for me but he's a busy guy :roll: :lol:

But like I said awesome build!
Sure, that would be great. I've been looking at some prototyping companies to do the job but results would probably be better from someone in the hobby (addiction) whatever ya call it. :lol: Mr. ED is looking into some people he knows but definitely the more options the better. I've really got to hand it to Mr. ED. He did just an amazing job on the design work.
Thanks for the kind words about the build. That's what it's all about. Like minded people pushing each other to pull out the old stuff and make it great again. Hope to see yours posted sooner rather than later. Dust that thing off!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Peakey, let me know if you need drawings or files

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Just spoke to him and he said he can do them he might even be able to do them this week.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Peakey wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:52 pm Just spoke to him and he said he can do them he might even be able to do them this week.
Is that the milled set or printed?

Pm me the details on cost and ordering please. It seems like Mr. ED is on it with the files so you probably don't need them from me.

Damn it, useless as usual... :?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Peakey is in the UK, so your efforts to find a US supplier are all but useless ;)
ORB design is in the Netherlands but hasn't responded yet with a quote for printed arms.

Through my work I'm in contact with 2 companies that could make these. But neither work with plastics on a regular base. Therefore they would require us to buy the full slab of plastic. Or they could cut some in alu. But that's not my favourite option, even more since we don't have a verified design yet.

I'm actually still thinking about a version with slightly altered dimensions, or maybe a second location for the outer hinges: offset to the center: allowing you and me to use the kind of wheels you have on it now.
What exactly do you have in the front? Are they running on 12mm hexes?
My problem is: I don't know whether I even have 4 suitable length driveshafts for another build.
If I do, I'm tearing open that set of team suzuki hubs I've had in my drawers for about 9 years.