YR-4 custom buggy conversion

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: YR-4 custom buggy conversion

Post by Mr. ED »

There are more materials in the market than those 2.

I'm waiting for the price on the printed ones anyway.

Postage from the netherlands should be cheaper for me ;)
Did you read the recent post by the guys who printed some rc12e parts? They spoke of a technology which uses vacuum to pull resin in the printed part and thus make it tougher.
That sounded great to me and they are in the US. Maybe you can hit them up Allen?

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Damo has said it would be about $12 NZD to ship to the US so that seems ok to me if you want a set you can either talk to him he's on here as Fathead I think or on oople under that username.
He's donning me a couple of sets of works arms in nylon I'm not too worried about them drying out as it's always raining here in he UK anyway :lol:
Fingers crossed he'll be cutting mine this week so I should finally have them soon.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Nylon plate will do everything that you need and then some. 1/4 or 7mm is typical material that is used.

I would not use delrin for a suspension arm. Notch sensitive so impacts can cause fracture where you have sharp transitions..

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:41 pm There are more materials in the market than those 2.

I'm waiting for the price on the printed ones anyway.

Postage from the netherlands should be cheaper for me ;)
Did you read the recent post by the guys who printed some rc12e parts? They spoke of a technology which uses vacuum to pull resin in the printed part and thus make it tougher.
That sounded great to me and they are in the US. Maybe you can hit them up Allen?
I was just referring to the two materials offered by peakey's friend.
Sure I'll get in touch with them. Just give me a name or some contact info. Sounds good. I do expect to hear from my contacts by tomorrow. Should have more info about all this by then... I hope. :lol:
They asked me what I was thinking!? I simply told them... I wasn't. :roll:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Peakey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:05 pm Damo has said it would be about $12 NZD to ship to the US so that seems ok to me if you want a set you can either talk to him he's on here as Fathead I think or on oople under that username.
He's donning me a couple of sets of works arms in nylon I'm not too worried about them drying out as it's always raining here in he UK anyway :lol:
Fingers crossed he'll be cutting mine this week so I should finally have them soon.
Thanks for helping us out Justin. Will Dano use my design to cut yours?

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Not a problem guys, no Ed he's got a set of my works arms he's coping but I've also had a set of these arms so i can sort you some pics when there done.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I got the quote for printed arms. 2 sets (8 arms) would cost me 60 euro plus shipping.
30 euro a set is making me pretty happy.
Allen, would you want the second set?
This is the price without dying, so I guess they'd be white. There's an option to get them dyed, but they didn't tell me the price for that. And frankly, white is fine for me.
PS: Since the printed version is symmetrical one could consider adding 1 spare for the front and 1 for the rear.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:52 pm I got the quote for printed arms. 2 sets (8 arms) would cost me 60 euro plus shipping.
30 euro a set is making me pretty happy.
Allen, would you want the second set?
This is the price without dying, so I guess they'd be white. There's an option to get them dyed, but they didn't tell me the price for that. And frankly, white is fine for me.
PS: Since the printed version is symmetrical one could consider adding 1 spare for the front and 1 for the rear.
I'm in! Of the two places I contacted one will only deal in bulk for such a small item. They didn't give a quote. I've sent a response asking for bulk quotes just to see if it might be worth selling them. The other place said the files didn't come through properly so I've resent them and will know tomorrow.

I still want to try out a set from your maker though. I can send you payment however you like. Pm me the details on how you would like to handle that.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I'm trying to get orb design in the boat: taking the arms up into their catalog. That way anyone would be able to order them and arrange payment and shipping without my further involvement. But before making those arms available through them I want make sure they are as good as can be.
So, maybe I'll start with one set and optimize the model if needed.
So, bare with me while I try to organize this the best way I can think of for now.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Well guys... It looks like for me to have them produced will have to wait until I have some real money to sink into it. The fees and charges associated with having only a couple of sets made just isn't practical. Either I will have to have a large amount made (50+ sets) to brin the individual cost down or I will just have to purchase a table top cnc mill (which I have been wanting to do). Neither situation is an option for me at the moment, at least for the next couple months.
That all being said. I do want to continue with purchasing a set or two from whatever manufacturer you decide to go with. Please let me know as soon as something is available.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I've agreed to meet the folks of Orb Design next sunday. I hope they'll have me a front and rear arm ready: To verify the fitment.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:02 am I've agreed to meet the folks of Orb Design next sunday. I hope they'll have me a front and rear arm ready: To verify the fitment.
Any news Mr Ed?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The meeting is set for Sunday. They will get 1 of each printed to verify the models . But it's unlikely they'll have them ready on Sunday they said.
Last weekend, I made some small revisions to the models. The printed rear arm gets a hole for stabiliser studs, and chamfered edges on the lightening pockets. The front arm already had those edges, so they'll match better now. And bases on orb's advise I enlarged the hinge holes a bit.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Update.
They could not print the prototypes by today, but the meeting was very constructive.
I got good advise to improve the design of the arms and recommendations for possibly other parts in the future.
We agreed on the data format to use and on the way to proceed to make the final design available to you guys.
Now it's up to me again to make revision 3 of the models and, once printed, test them.
I'm hoping to have the revision ready before the end of next weekend.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I just finished the the third version of the design for the front arm. How do you like it?

The goal was to make it stronger and stiffer, while maintaining some of the 'elegance' and sticking with the original length hingepins.
front printed-v3.jpg
Further info I got from ORB Design but forgot to mention earlier:

The printer type used is not the filament type. Benfits are among others the much higher material density (typically around 98% of the volume), better accuracy and lack of layered structure associated with filament printers.
The material is pure nylon without colorants or other additives. The surface finish is comparable to a fine grain sand paper.
It smudges real easily and is hard to clean. Therefor they offer dyeing (black) at a little extra cost.

Strengthwise: the stiffness is not a the level of moder bugies with glass or graphit reinforced plastics, but it does aid in stress distrubution for endurance. This is what made me review the design, and I hope to have compensated for this to achieve a product that's comparable in performancewith the original yokomo part.