Yokomo YZ-10 Shock Assembly, Help Please

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcnj
Approved Member

Yokomo YZ-10 Shock Assembly, Help Please

Post by rcnj »

Hi everyone -

I'm rebuilding the YZ-10 I posted on this forum at http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41529

I disassembled and degreased the shocks. Before filling them again, I noticed that the 870C manual, which is the only manual I have, shows a different assembly for the interior of the shocks. I do have the parts shown in the manual, including the little springs, but obviously they are not installed. I originally built these 20 years ago and have no idea whether my instructions were different, or if I just did it wrong!

Below is a photo of one of my shocks. All of mine are assembled this way. Also below is the photo from the 870C manual.

Does anyone know the correct way to assemble these? Is my current assembly correct in any way? Should I change them to match the 870C manual?

Also... I degreased using vinegar... There is now a sort of corrosion on the silver parts of the shock. Anyone know how to remove that?

Thank you in advance!

Brian

My current YZ-10 shock assembly:

From the 870C manual:

jwscab

Re: Yokomo YZ-10 Shock Assembly, Help Please

Post by jwscab »

What you have together looks correct for the second version, when they took the springs out of the assembly. They are notorious leakers so if this is for the shelf, just add a few drops to keep everything lubricated, and not much more. The oxidation needs to be removed by mechanical polishing with some Scotch Brite or fine steel wool. Not the bodies, they are anodized with a very thin coating. I actually just rebuilt a set and used a polishing/buffing wheel with polishing compound with a Dremel.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

There was another sheet addendum with the newer shock assembly. On the copy I have, the sheet is overlayed on the shock page itself.

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

jwscab wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 am What you have together looks correct for the second version, when they took the springs out of the assembly. They are notorious leakers so if this is for the shelf, just add a few drops to keep everything lubricated, and not much more. The oxidation needs to be removed by mechanical polishing with some Scotch Brite or fine steel wool. Not the bodies, they are anodized with a very thin coating. I actually just rebuilt a set and used a polishing/buffing wheel with polishing compound with a Dremel.
Thank you very much for this info! I will definitely be running this mamba jamba, so will fill the shocks per the instructions with Associated shock oil I bought for the purpose.

Will also scrub the metal parts as you suggest.

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

I just filled one of the shocks with Team Associated 5435 50 Weight Silicone Shock Fluid, but the shock is not expelling any when I try to tighten the screw cap or compress the shock!

What is happening?

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

I was never able to get the shocks to expel the silicone oil.

I just filled them to what seemed like the right amount and got them to work very nicely. They actually rebound fully without the springs!