94 YZ10 CVDs?

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

eco8gator
Approved Member

94 YZ10 CVDs?

Post by eco8gator »

Hello All

My brushless setup us roasting my stock steel drive shafts.

If there a CVD set that I could buy that would allow me to use my stock hubs and wheels.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: 94 YZ10 CVDs?

Post by rccars4sal »

Apparently there is a way to use shorter cvd bones with mx4 axles to fit a 94-95 car. This would then need mx4 wheels and hubs, which is a 95-97 upgrade setup of sorts.

Standard mx4 CVDs are too long. Oh, and it would also require 6mm id bearings for the hubs.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

What kind of motor are you using? I wouldn't go below a 10.5T on any vintage 4wd buggy. It's really not necessary, and all of that power will just blow out your drivetrain and you will have a hard time finding replacements. Would you put nitrous in a Ferrari 275 GTB/4?

On top of that, I would also tend to avoid surfaces that have very high grip. This puts even more stress on the drivetrain.

I did make a thread a few years ago here, showing what I managed to put together to make a CVD/CVA setup for a '94 YZ10. You can go dig that up. Although it did work, the wheel axles I ended up using were a little short, and this did cause some bind with the hubs/knuckles. I'd encourage some follow-up work there to find longer wheel axles with the correct wheel pin placement.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

Hello

I am using a 10.5 Novak ballistic and it is very powerful for this car. The car is very fast, seems to keep up quite well with modern stuff and do quite well on a modern track with huge ramps. I am amazed at how much power a sensored controller can unload into the drive train...if I am an idiot with the throttle with soft compound tires on golf grass I can make the slipper slip and I am running that pretty tight (half turn out from tight). I think I'll stick to looser tracks for now.

I purchased a mint 94 YZ10 car with a sweet set of CVD's and the fit looks really good though I can tell that there were some mods to make it fit. I am tempted to pull the CVDs and put them on my runner but I hate to put a wrench in the mint car:)

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

If you have a mint '94 YZ10, my personal advice is to leave it mint. You cannot un-scratch a car or un-wear-out a CVD. I have a general "rule of two" with my vintage cars. To have one runner, I must have at least one shelfer of equal or better condition.

Again, I would refer you my earlier post (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34196) as a starting point for using modern parts to obtain a CVD-like setup. It does need some more work to find a longer wheel axle, but it should be a good starting point for you.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

Hello

Yeah the mint car stays on the shelf.

I have 3 total 94 YZ10's. The standby runner is in much better shape than my primary car; the standby car is actually in amazingly good condition as well and has a lot of Pavidis upgrades (from far away it looks just like my Mint car which looks just like the car on the original kit box).

The 94 will be my preferred vintage car due to its durability; and coolness factor.

I will probably update my primary runner to use modern axles as shown in your post. I actually look forward to this since I will have an option to buy premade wheels.

The next thing I need to figure out is a source for diff balls and the out drive thrust balls.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Please remember the wheel axles from that post are too short. You'll have binding issues, and so you'll need to find longer wheel axles to make that work. The dogbones I found are the correct length, though.