Re: Rejuvenating my Optima

Post by bdrmbully »

looks great . nice restore.
2nd place is just the 1st loser

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks, bdrmbully! Although I have quite a few minor things left to do, it's far enough along that I popped on my old Optima body and wing for a few pictures to share with you guys. Back in the day, I even won a concourse with that funky paint, but I couldn't win a race to save my life. :lol: You can see where I cut out holes to make room for an 8.4V battery, I now really regret doing that...but alas, it is what it is. I'm planning to get a new Turbo Optima body & wing with a new paint job.
Attachments
ZebraOptima1.JPG
ZebraOptima3.JPG
ZebraOptima2.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tamiya_d1_junky
Approved Member

Post by tamiya_d1_junky »

love the celebration chassis! just looks so expensive in which they now are.
I LOVE VINTAGE!!!

Lefty421

Post by Lefty421 »

Very nice!

Looks like you even Armor All'd the tires !?! :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lefty421 wrote:Very nice!

Looks like you even Armor All'd the tires !?! :D
Haha! Nope, they're just brand new. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

nioce n sticky eecky lol
2nd place is just the 1st loser

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's my freshly rebuilt 23+ year-old Lemans 480 Gold. Those anodized endbells and brushed cans sure look a whole lot better than the motors these days, with the garish stickers plastered across the cans. Vintage motor beauty! 8)
Attachments
480Gold_1.JPG
480Gold_2.JPG
480Gold_3.JPG

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

As i have been playing with lots of different vintage buggys i can tell you what my Optima Pro will be sporting on its rebuild shortly.

SHOCKS:
Yeah racing are good for the money and i have them nearly on all my runners 25 and counting.They are alloy body, threaded and come with mounting hardweare for $15AU here. I drill the pistons out to 1/16th drill bit and this really helps. Losi springs fit sraight on so gives you a wide range of tunning as well as kyosho stock springs fit. You can fit Losi gold shafts in too if you want but is not needed. You need 70mm for front and 90mm rear. You can get them in silver or blue too. Can get them in increaments of 5mm as well. The blue shocks in the pics you can get of e bay here from rc roosters. Have bought 3 sets but are mid length front ( Lazer Zx) are made by flying point but look exact as kyosho golds but in blue. Not as good as yeah racing.

Wheels.
I plan to run the Ofna CRT.5 truggy rims ( mini truggy but are 2.2) they really increase the track as the offset is all out. From A Main HobbiesWill be shod in losi studs as well.n I do have the 3 racing wheels in chrome and white but narrows the track as you metioned. Be careful don't acetone the tires as the rubber is not rubber and turns to mush. I found out

Hardend pinion;
I really dont think Pargu 2000 is hardend to the same degree as Kyosho's or Throp. I just bought 2 Kyosho ones from rc rooster for $50au. A bargain i think. He might still have one left as he is selling a heap of optima parts still. If comes to the worst the Pargu 2000 will be fine i say.

Belt drive conversion in mine.

Hope this helps
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:As i have been playing with lots of different vintage buggys i can tell you what my Optima Pro will be sporting on its rebuild shortly.
Thanks for some useful info, Mad Racer, and I'm looking forward to your Optima Pro rebuild!
SHOCKS:
Yeah racing are good for the money and i have them nearly on all my runners 25 and counting.They are alloy body, threaded and come with mounting hardweare for $15AU here. I drill the pistons out to 1/16th drill bit and this really helps. Losi springs fit sraight on so gives you a wide range of tunning as well as kyosho stock springs fit. You can fit Losi gold shafts in too if you want but is not needed. You need 70mm for front and 90mm rear. You can get them in silver or blue too. Can get them in increaments of 5mm as well. The blue shocks in the pics you can get of e bay here from rc roosters. Have bought 3 sets but are mid length front ( Lazer Zx) are made by flying point but look exact as kyosho golds but in blue. Not as good as yeah racing.
Great info. I just purchased a set of 4 Kyosho Lazer ZX shocks for $22.90, they're silver with blue caps & threaded adjusters, made by 3racing. I've been told they work quite well, do you have experience with those? Any tips?

Link here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130424228564&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Hardend pinion;
I really dont think Pargu 2000 is hardend to the same degree as Kyosho's or Throp. I just bought 2 Kyosho ones from rc rooster for $50au. A bargain i think. He might still have one left as he is selling a heap of optima parts still. If comes to the worst the Pargu 2000 will be fine i say.
I've heard the same about pargu2000's pinions, they're not hardened like the Kyosho OT-76 or aftermarket ones are. I managed to score an OT-76 and also have a blue anodized pargu gear coming. I'd like another Kyosho or good aftermarket one, if possible. I'll only have 2 cars and don't plan on adding more, but I want them both built up right, and it's a pain-in-the-derrière to have to strip the car down to open the rear gearbox and add that gear! I got the pargu one just because it's better than the stock unhardened gear, and it was all I could find. :(

No belt conversions for me, can't find one, and couldn't afford one if I DID find one. :x

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Just be carefull in seizing the shocks up. The ZX5 may be longer than the 70mm thats required on the optima and mid.

If shocks are too long it will affect the habdling. Won't achieve any droop.

Sound like it's all go.

Yeah i herd the belt drive are big $$$$ but mine came with the car when i got it.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What do you guys think of these rims?
Attachments
PirateWheels1.jpg
PirateWheels2.jpg

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Entertaining build you have here. Mate please stay with the Option House gold shocks. Not only do they work well for this car but they look and are 'period correct'. In my opinion you cant go wrong with Option House gold shocks on an Optima.
I run them on mine and they are PURRFECT!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

bormac wrote:Entertaining build you have here. Mate please stay with the Option House gold shocks. Not only do they work well for this car but they look and are 'period correct'. In my opinion you cant go wrong with Option House gold shocks on an Optima.
I run them on mine and they are PURRFECT!
You're absolutely right, bormac...I'm definitely leaving the Goldies on this car, they just look so "right" with the Celebration Gold chassis. Visually & functionally, they're fantastic. It's my upcoming build that will have something different. Stay tuned...once I have the parts all arrive, I'll start a separate build topic. :)

This one just needs an ESC and I'll hopefully get in a test-run before the snow flies and maybe a vid too.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

put on some old rims! those new one's just dont suit brother! its like running 19inch on a 68 camaro! :roll: is this a runner?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Gary's right. Those white spoked rims realy are awful on this classic. If I were you I'd be snapping up a set of these in a heart beat!

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOHAS-vtg-tecnacraft-style-wheel-off-road-Kyosho-TAMIYA-/270638775406?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0353fc6e

These will finish this car right off! :D
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980