Optima Mid and Turbo Optima Mid Differences

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Optima Mid and Turbo Optima Mid Differences

Post by vintage AE »

I am an RC10 guy, but always liked the Ultima and Optima series that Kyosho produced. I don't know much about them though. I always wanted a 4wd buggy since the later 80s, but never did end up with one.

Lately, I have been contemplating weather or not to trade one of my custom RC10 for a vintage 4wd buggy or just buy one. I narrowed it down to 4 buggies, starting from the one I like the most to the least, Turbo Optima Mid, Optima Mid, Javelin, and the Yokomo YZ10.

My intentions are to restore whatever I get to the point where it's a really sweet looking build and then run it in style. It is likely that it will end up with brushless and lipo. Having said that, I have no idea which of these buggies will handle the tourque of brushless motors the best.

I wanted to first begin with finding out what the differences are between the Optima Mid and Turbo Optima Mid??? Also, is there much of a difference in the Javelin from the Optima(s)?

Let me have it :oops: Links and photos will help a lot too :mrgreen:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid and Turbo Optima Mid Differences

Post by Coelacanth »

I can say that there's no difference between the Javelin & Optima chassis'; one has the plastic rollcage, the other has a Lexan body.

The Turbo Optima (non-Mid) added low profile wheels & tires, Option House gold shocks, a belly protector, taller shock towers, a limiter gear to handle the much higher torque of the Le Mans 240 series of motors and if I recall correctly, did away with the driver doll.

As far as the Mids go, I'll defer to the Mid enthusiasts. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

This is not super detailed, but here's a nice overview:

http://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com/2006/12/genealogy-of-optima-series.html

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

thanks guys 8)

ROH73, that link helped a lot. For reference I copied and pasted the section from the link that tells the differences of the Optima mid and Turbo Optima Mid
The Javelin: Optima with a flashy orange roll cage body. New shock mounts allows optional Gold shocks.
Optima Mid: belt drive model, midship motor (previously rear overhung) to improve weight balance, duralumin chassis. Le Mans 240ST motor.
Turbo Optima Mid: Optima Mid with full options (stabilizers, ball bearings, 2mm duralumin bronze anodised flatpan chassis, ESC ready)
Marc, it looks like I will be by Laduc Saturday or possibly Sunday. I know it's the weekend, so if wont be able to meet up for that wing, that would be okay with me. We could meet up some other time. I would love to see your CYANide Optima if you want to bring it with ya.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

vintage AE wrote:thanks guys 8)

ROH73, that link helped a lot. For reference I copied and pasted the section from the link that tells the differences of the Optima mid and Turbo Optima Mid
The Javelin: Optima with a flashy orange roll cage body. New shock mounts allows optional Gold shocks.
Optima Mid: belt drive model, midship motor (previously rear overhung) to improve weight balance, duralumin chassis. Le Mans 240ST motor.
Turbo Optima Mid: Optima Mid with full options (stabilizers, ball bearings, 2mm duralumin bronze anodised flatpan chassis, ESC ready)
Marc, it looks like I will be by Laduc Saturday or possibly Sunday. I know it's the weekend, so if wont be able to meet up for that wing, that would be okay with me. We could meet up some other time. I would love to see your CYANide Optima if you want to bring it with ya.
I'll be heading to the lake Saturday evening, but will be in Edmonton Saturday during the day and afternoon. I'll PM you more info, we could meet in west Edmonton somewhere anytime Saturday before 4 PM or so, if that works for you. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I think I have my hands full now. These are Slotcarods, but I'm going to be restoring them and putting together as many complete yoks as I can. For doing so I get to keep one, but I will or would pay for it.
DSC_1099.JPG

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

ROH73 wrote:This is not super detailed, but here's a nice overview:
http://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com/2006/12/genealogy-of-optima-series.html
Damn! I've never seen the Optima Pro 4WD before. That's a sleek looking ride! I think that's my new favorite of the series!
Attachments
pro01+copy.jpg
pro01+copy.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
pro01+copy.jpg
pro01+copy.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 5145 times

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

The Optima Pro was a really odd realise by Kyosho.

I think more so to shift old stock.

Really was a standard Optima. Had a sleek shell and aero under tray. Option house tire and wheels. Maybe bearings ???? No electrics. Maybe a MSC. A redesigned top plate that shifted the steering servo to the back for more grip.

The Turbo Optima was well & truly out and the new MID was just around the corner. Didn't even come with the Belt drive conversion. Than again that was a mighty expensive option at around 150.00 at the time i think when i bought mine.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Mad Racer wrote:The Optima Pro was a really odd realise by Kyosho.

I think more so to shift old stock.

Really was a standard Optima. Had a sleek shell and aero under tray. Option house tire and wheels. Maybe bearings ???? No electrics. Maybe a MSC. A redesigned top plate that shifted the steering servo to the back for more grip.

The Turbo Optima was well & truly out and the new MID was just around the corner. Didn't even come with the Belt drive conversion. Than again that was a mighty expensive option at around 150.00 at the time i think when i bought mine.
The optima pro HAD the belt conversion iirc... that was the key highlight of the kit with the undertray, prolly designed to shift the old stock indeed.

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm checking out this guy's resto of an Optima Pro and it seems to have the exact same chassis as the other first-gen Optimas, but with the aforementioned belt drive. For some reason, I thought the Pro had a longer wheelbase, but please correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like every other Optima/Javelin to me, with the exception of the Turbo Optima shock towers, control arms & stabilizers--and the undertray.

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=105666&sid=37

I'd like to know more about that undertray. Assuming the Pro has the same chassis specs as the others, that could be easily added to any of them. How is it mounted to the frame?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

The Optima Pro was chain drive, with red 10mm shocks. Its biggest claim to fame was a new molded nylon (not fiberglass) one-piece top plate which moved the battery forward a little and the steering servo back to better distribute weight forward. The undertray mounted with screws. It was partial, only covering what the aluminum chassis guard covers on the Turbo Optima/Salute. The Pro came without a motor, speed control or bearings (except for the diff outdrives).

Optima Pro manual: http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel_page/122/optima-pro-kyosho.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

ROH73 wrote:The undertray mounted with screws. It was partial, only covering what the aluminum chassis guard covers on the Turbo Optima/Salute.
Thanks for the info. Did it have the same wheelbase as the others? It looks the same to me...

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Same wheelbase. It's a strange car, IMO. Pro usually means professional, so one would expect it to include full bearings, gold or platinum shocks, maybe the belt conversion, etc. Instead, the only thing special is the upper plate and the body/undertray. I had a Pro body set NIP that I sold on eBay a few years ago. I probably should have kept it, but the sale of that funded another whole Turbo Optima car :D . Repros are available now, so in the end, no big deal.

Lttlcheeze

Post by Lttlcheeze »

Rather than putting up a new post, I figured I resurrect this old one.

I recently stumbled across the the Kyosho Optima and Javelin, and fell in love. The old school chain drive, the sleek looks, the Javelin and it's Roll Cage are all awesome.

I was wondering about parts compatibility. I've read everything I can find, but still no definite answers.

All of the info I found, makes it sound like that all of the Rear Motor models (Optima, Javelin, & Salute) are basically the same vehicles except the bodies.

If I found a any of those Rear Motor Chassis', could I just swap out the bodies (or roll cage for the Javelin)? That way I could have a Javelin or an Optima with just a quick swap.

Thanks,
Bill

tintin74
Approved Member

Post by tintin74 »

Lttlcheeze wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:54 pm Rather than putting up a new post, I figured I resurrect this old one.

I recently stumbled across the the Kyosho Optima and Javelin, and fell in love. The old school chain drive, the sleek looks, the Javelin and it's Roll Cage are all awesome.

I was wondering about parts compatibility. I've read everything I can find, but still no definite answers.

All of the info I found, makes it sound like that all of the Rear Motor models (Optima, Javelin, & Salute) are basically the same vehicles except the bodies.

If I found a any of those Rear Motor Chassis', could I just swap out the bodies (or roll cage for the Javelin)? That way I could have a Javelin or an Optima with just a quick swap.

Thanks,
Bill
you are right, all rear motor optimas can inter change bodies/rollcages.