Kyosho KX-One

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

USA-1
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho KX-One

Post by USA-1 »

From what I've seen they put the electronic's on those side wings attachments that you will no longer use?

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

They get double-sided to the FRP side-plates when you use the racing battery holder. The problem is that the plates are barely higher than a C-cell (2 cm or so). So I need to use a micro receiver and ESC. Getting the receiver ain't a problem, but brushed ESCs are getting rare. I'll probably pop by my hobbyshop to see whether they still have LRP Quantum ESCs, which would be perfect for this car...

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

A small update. A lot included a nice alloy practice transponder that fits the car perfectly:
practice-transponder.jpg
I also likely have a receiver that will fit the KX-One. Just need to check whether it actually works. That will leave the ESC and steering servo.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

LRP has a lot of blue stuff, and their brushed ESC's go for heavily reduced prices nowadays

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

I really think the COG of this car wasn't the problem, the problem was it only came with a front one way, which made it difficult to drive. I think with a front ball diff tightened really tight, the centralized design will be able to shine.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

alcyon wrote:I really think the COG of this car wasn't the problem, the problem was it only came with a front one way, which made it difficult to drive. I think with a front ball diff tightened really tight, the centralized design will be able to shine.
The biggest issue is that the front one way on this car is notoriously fragile and often self-destructs on the first run. This might be because it uses a single one way bearing instead of two, like in some other front one ways. The one-way universals are supposed to alleviate the problem.

I haven't been able to test that though, as the car still lacks a steering servo and I am still looking for the rear reinforcement plates (option KXW-10) that take out a considerable weak point near the motor. Three years later.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

The car should have been a great performer. Its suspension was tf4, and at the time "single belt" was all the craze. With the battery slung down the middle it should have been lightning quick in transitions. Check the diffs. They are the lightest weight units I have ever messed with. All the numbers point to a blazing fast and sweet handling race car. It could be that the chassis is not very stiff, and perhaps got tweaked too easily?? Ive been after a kx1 for a while. Had some years ago,, still got a kx1 box plumb full of spares,, but no complete car! There was 1 on fleabay a couple weeks back, but I had to resist for the sake of other priorities.

And hooold on there just a second! I havent read the whole thread,, so perhaps its been mentioned,, but that looks like a 2 speed!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

rccars4sal wrote:The car should have been a great performer. Its suspension was tf4, and at the time "single belt" was all the craze. With the battery slung down the middle it should have been lightning quick in transitions. Check the diffs. They are the lightest weight units I have ever messed with. All the numbers point to a blazing fast and sweet handling race car. It could be that the chassis is not very stiff, and perhaps got tweaked too easily?? Ive been after a kx1 for a while. Had some years ago,, still got a kx1 box plumb full of spares,, but no complete car! There was 1 on fleabay a couple weeks back, but I had to resist for the sake of other priorities.
The weak point is a 1 mm wide area just below the motor. If you take a frontal hit the chassis breaks there. KXW-10 doubles that area with thicker carbon fibre and also includes new chassis rails, the latter which are needed to accomodate for the thickened rear chassis.
Maybe I should just take apart the car and have the carbon fibre parts traced for Fibre Lyte, so spare chassis plates are available...and then make my own KXW-10 chassis rails with some Dremel work. I just don't trust my driving skills enough to run the car with no spare chassis plates.

There's also a 2x3 battery chassis set, but a) it's really rare, b) anytime it shows up the price goes through the roof, and c) it takes away from the uniqueness of the car.
And hooold on there just a second! I havent read the whole thread,, so perhaps its been mentioned,, but that looks like a 2 speed!
Probably the only factory touring car option that has the word "INSANE" in its name. :D

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

One thing I am curious to know, but have not been able to confirm. Will lipo batteries fit in the stock location? Hard case, or even shorty lipo? If lipos will fit, then I would like to try harder to find one for running. It should be possible to tame the beast for at least club lever victories.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

So five years after I first bought this car I've finally been able to source the most needed spares that I wanted to have before even thinking of running it :lol: : the front one-way (that likes to fail) and the carbon chassis plates. Also managed to find an additional set of alloy arm mounts and spare nylon inserts for those mounts.

However, the elusive KXW-10 chassis strengthening set (which doubles the amount of carbon around the motor) remains very elusive indeed. I know the thing exists, but I've only seen it installed on a single car in all those years and none can be found for sale :( I'll probably have to copy the chassis plate design in CAD, modify it a little bit, and have someone make the things...

With regards to lipo fit, the lower packs likely fit (and nothing stops you from using softcase packs meant for planes).

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:So five years after I first bought this car I've finally been able to source the most needed spares that I wanted to have before even thinking of running it :lol: : the front one-way (that likes to fail) and the carbon chassis plates. Also managed to find an additional set of alloy arm mounts and spare nylon inserts for those mounts.

However, the elusive KXW-10 chassis strengthening set (which doubles the amount of carbon around the motor) remains very elusive indeed. I know the thing exists, but I've only seen it installed on a single car in all those years and none can be found for sale :( I'll probably have to copy the chassis plate design in CAD, modify it a little bit, and have someone make the things...

With regards to lipo fit, the lower packs likely fit (and nothing stops you from using softcase packs meant for planes).
Thread digging is always cool :mrgreen:

BTW if someone wants a NiB KX-One a friend of mine has always tried to sell me his... I can't remember how much he was asking but it's outrageous, probably close to RRP from bitd :mrgreen: But if someone is interested, I can ask again...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Oh my goodness! I had 2 of those a few years ago,, sold em both. Later on Im wishing I had one because I think thats an ideal platform for using lipos in touring racing. WOW The coolest, possibly rarest Kyosho touring car. Ive got a kx1 box full of spares,, but not enough to build a whole car! Really nice ride you have there. A definite offshoot in rc car evolution. very special design.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

So I might just have got very lucky indeed. Spotted an auction with a ridiculously cheap BIN price for a lot of used KX-One parts (possibly a complete car), and the same seller also had a massive lot of new parts (considerably less cheap, but seeing the size of the lot still a good buy). I'm not sure whether the KXW-10 option part is included, but various other stuff is, and the possibly complete car includes the other ultra-rare option for this car: the KXW-20 saddle pack chassis.

More in a few weeks, when I receive the lot.

Oh, and the ridiculously low BIN? 20 :shock: bucks. I didn't know how quick I had to be to hit the BIN button.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

EvolutionRevolution wrote:So five years after I first bought this car I've finally been able to source the most needed spares that I wanted to have before even thinking of running it :lol: : the front one-way (that likes to fail) and the carbon chassis plates. Also managed to find an additional set of alloy arm mounts and spare nylon inserts for those mounts.
Make that "one carbon chassis plate". Apparently they are packed individually instead of having two in one bag (thanks Kyosho... :| ):
IMG_6152.jpg
The large lot is still in the mail...

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

If you get any info on the kxw10, I would be happy to repro it for you.