Kyosho's I've Owned

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lilpanther
Approved Member

Kyosho's I've Owned

Post by lilpanther »

Here are some Kyosho's I have owned, And some I still own.
This Kyosho Turbo Raider was given to me by my dad who bought it new back in the late 80's.
This is a Kyosho Turbo Raider I used to run a 5.5t brushless motor in on 3s li-po.
This is just a plain jane Kyosho Raider I used to own.
And this is my Shelf Queen Kyosho Raider ARR, It has only ever been ran 3 times.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho's I've Owned

Post by Mad Racer »

Looks great.

Never knew that the Raider was a mid mount 2wd. Interesting.

How did it go compared to others?
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

lilpanther
Approved Member

Post by lilpanther »

Mad Racer wrote:Looks great.

Never knew that the Raider was a mid mount 2wd. Interesting.

How did it go compared to others?
Thank's.

Honestly, I have had newer buggies and the Turbo Raider was always the buggy I went back to. It is so smooth and stable, The only time mine wasn't stable was when I was doing a high speed run down my road with it using the 5.5t brushless motor on 3s and the body acted as wings and caused the buggy to take off. I should have an RC10 here by the end of the week to compare it too hopefully.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I loved the Raider I had...of course it was my first hobby grade car. I'm SO glad I went with it instead of a Ghopper or Hornet. My only disappointment was the discouragement at the local track because everyone one had RC10s or Jrx2s. My car was a toy in their minds. I don't really have the desire to acquire a raider now, but am in the concept stage of a raider tribute buggy. It all wear a Raider shell, and be mid motor, but sport Ultima roots...

lilpanther
Approved Member

Post by lilpanther »

losiXXXman wrote:I loved the Raider I had...of course it was my first hobby grade car. I'm SO glad I went with it instead of a Ghopper or Hornet. My only disappointment was the discouragement at the local track because everyone one had RC10s or Jrx2s. My car was a toy in their minds. I don't really have the desire to acquire a raider now, but am in the concept stage of a raider tribute buggy. It all wear a Raider shell, and be mid motor, but sport Ultima roots...
The normal raiders are good but they defiently lack in handling compared to the Turbo Raider with the gold oil filled shocks. It sound's like your buggy will be a cool project.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Wow! What did you do to the drivetrain to allow it to take so much power?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I would think 5.5T--on 3S LiPo, no less--would grenade your gearbox. The Raider certainly wasn't meant to handle the hot brushed motors on 8.4V back in the day, let alone a super-powerful modern brushless motor on 11.1V. You'd need a helluva slipper gear setup, I imagine.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Or maybe just a throttle finger that isn't binary :mrgreen:
Cheers
Joel

lilpanther
Approved Member

Post by lilpanther »

Coelacanth wrote:I would think 5.5T--on 3S LiPo, no less--would grenade your gearbox. The Raider certainly wasn't meant to handle the hot brushed motors on 8.4V back in the day, let alone a super-powerful modern brushless motor on 11.1V. You'd need a helluva slipper gear setup, I imagine.
I've never had issues with the gearbox besides stripping it when I was out jumping it one day.
Snaab9-2 wrote:Wow! What did you do to the drivetrain to allow it to take so much power?
I replied to your PM's. Only thing different on it is metal dog bones and when I stripped the diff jumping it I locked the diff, Other than that it holds up great. Oh, and I also switched it from bushings over to bearings.
j0pp3 wrote:Or maybe just a throttle finger that isn't binary :mrgreen:
That's pretty much the best thing for it.

And here is a quick video of a couple of speed runs with the 5.5t motor on 3s.
[youtube]rtxYJwkR6o4[/youtube]

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

:shock:

I like it! That being said, I think that is more than I could handle! Thanks for sharing!

cheropache73

Post by cheropache73 »

Can't see the pics anymore but i also had a Raider at one time. I also had an Ultima Pro (first high end car), Ultima Pro XL and I think that's it (at least from what I remember). Oh and an Ultima II.