Project OptiMutt - Finished

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Project OptiMutt

Post by flipwils11 »

Good to see this optima ended up in caring hands vs my Kyosho ignorance! What are the plans now, run it a bit to try out the 2wd setup?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

flipwils11 wrote:Good to see this optima ended up in caring hands vs my Kyosho ignorance! What are the plans now, run it a bit to try out the 2wd setup?
It'll be a RWD runner when she's done. I wanted this to be my first 2WD car since I sold my el-crappo Frog before buying my first Optima.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Front End v2.0

Post by Coelacanth »

I revised the front end, changing the steering knuckles & C-carriers to something that would fit the Maxxum arms better. Lazer carriers fit (I'm using them on my Barney build) but they require some filing and grinding of the Maxxum arms to work properly. I found an eBay seller who took the time to get me measurements on some Tamiya parts that looked promising, proportion-wise...and it turns out they're a near-perfect fit! About the only thing I had to do is drill the hinge pin holes on the carriers to 3mm, as they were an odd Tamiya size of 2.6mm or something. The knuckles & carriers are for the same car series so they fit each other like a glove.

I also prefer these carriers as they give the front end an additional 4 degrees kick-up.

The parts are for the Tamiya TA-05, as follows:

-C-carriers: Yeah Racing #TA05IFS-005BU, $12.90
-Knuckles: 3Racing #TA05-15/V2/LB, $13.50
-Tie-Rods: Tamiya #54250 3x42mm, $4.30
-Bearings: Tamiya 5x11x4mm, $4.00

So, this is actually a pretty inexpensive mod to bulletproof and "alumify" your Optima Mid front end! You'll need to buy Maxxum arms, though. But since the Maxxum arms have the exact same dimensions as Optima/Turbo Optima/Optima Mid front arms, they will swap right in on your Mid. 8)

One thing I don't know is how the Tamiya TA-05 carriers might change the length of the Optima Mid dogbones or CVDs, but I don't think it would change too much. I can't test-fit because this is now a RWD, but with 62.5, 65.5 and 68mm CVDs being made for the Lazer, I'm pretty sure one of those would work.
FrontEnd_Revised1.jpg
FrontEnd_Revised2.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

As always Marc your projects entertain me. I really like the shell you went with. Is it the same as this one....

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Looking good

Where did you get the front springs, I need some short blue ones myself

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

J.M. wrote:As always Marc your projects entertain me. I really like the shell you went with. Is it the same as this one....

Unfortunately my work blocks photobucket! :x Can you upload the picture?

HKS_TRD, I have a big Ziploc bag full of springs! I will try to find out but I honestly don't remember what springs those are. I know that they are pretty close to the dimensions of Kyosho Gold long & short shock springs, though, but are stiffer.

EDIT: These Ofna springs look familiar, it could be this set. I remember that they were a set of 4, I originally planned to use with CYANide but swapped them out for some Associated metallic blue-colored springs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OFNA-Shock-Spring-Blue-Med-CRT-5-SCRT10-OFN40891-/180885723661?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item2a1da11a0d

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Thanks for that link

I found the associated springs were a smaller diameter than the Kyosho ones

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

J.M. wrote:As always Marc your projects entertain me. I really like the shell you went with. Is it the same as this one...
Yes, that looks the same as the body I chose. Thanks for the pic, I never saw one painted!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Video - Electrics Test

Post by Coelacanth »

I recorded a brief video testing the electrics. I just need to install different front axles (these ones only have room for hex-hub wheels). The currently installed wheels are only for the test & steering adjustments; different wheels will eventually be mounted.

[youtube]Vx6kSA4R19A[/youtube]

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Nice one.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

A couple of Optima beasts get bodies

Post by Coelacanth »

I figured I'd post these all on this topic rather than half here, half on the Barney thread because I kind of liked seeing them side-by-side. I finally have the bodies & wings trimmed for both these Optima beasts. They were both a helluva lot of work to get them to fit and mount nicely, but now they're just about ready for painting. I have some very cool paint schemes in mind! 8)

I particularly love the wing I found for Barney...years ago, one of the LHS's had a bargain box with random tires, wheels, bodies and other crap in it, and this one wing. I loved the shape, it looked different from most other wings I've seen, and had to bring it home. It'll probably get more of an angle when everything's done.
OptimaBeasts1.jpg
OptimaBeasts2.jpg
OptimaBeasts3.jpg
OptimaBeasts4.jpg
OptimaBeasts5.jpg
OptimaBeasts6.jpg
OptimaBeasts7.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Looking good Marc :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Great pics from the front (love the blue hubs) and the wide track comparison with the green car.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

flipwils11 wrote:Great pics from the front (love the blue hubs) and the wide track comparison with the green car.
Thanks, Adam--I should actually take a front track measurement to compare the two. Both cars are using the same GPM alloy rear arms, and both are running 68mm CVD bones in the rear. The GPM arms are 5mm longer than stock Optima arms so the 68mm CVDs are needed; the stock 62.5mm Optima bones would be too short. Other than that, the rear carriers are stock on Barney but the axles are a a bit longer. I'm using about a 1.5mm spacer on the outsides of the wheels before bolting them on.

Both cars have the same front arms, but different carriers & knuckles. One thing that widens the OptiMutt front track is that I'm doing something quite unusual for the front axles & bearings. I'm running 4WD front knuckles with bearings inside, and axles with cross-pins & hexes for mounting 12mm hex front wheels; but if I want to mount older-style wheels with bearings captured in the wheels, the front axles are long enough that I can also mount those kinds of wheels (which I'm running for the above pics). So at the moment, there's 4 bearings on each side of the front--2 in each carrier and 2 in each wheel. 8)

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

Will this part be in this car.
Jerzi
Attachments
IMG_8526.JPG