Turbo Optima Mid - Evolution aka 21st Century Mid

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Turbo Optima Mid - Evolution aka 21st Century Mid

Post by HKS_TRD »

This is a project I have been chipping away at on and off for nearly two years with most of the time having been spent sourcing parts, trial fitting various bits and getting ideas from other peoples builds. I've recently gotten to the point where I had all the specs locked in so its now 95% assembled, with a few loose ends and decisions to tie up.
The main aim was to build a Mid that was as modified as possible, but with modern pats. The bulk of the bits would be from the vintage Lazer series, either standard parts or as things progressed more and more custom and aftermarket parts. Also the color theme evolved to being carbon and blue anodised or dyed parts.

First step like all my builds was the diffs. I used ceramic diff balls and a set of new pulleys bearings and plates

Then the first custom piece was the layshaft from Alcyon on Oople which lets you run the B4 slipper, along with a new vintage nylon counter gear, new kyosho parts to make up the rest of the gearbox and the associated B4 parts, including the vented plates which I had anodised blue and associated ceramic bearings

So with the layshaft assembled I could then get everything into the gearbox, the Mid rear gearbox is always a little fiddly to assemble I find, you wouldn't want to try and do it in a rush!

After a long search I managed to find a vintage finned motor plate (which I believe is A&L) which I also had anodised blue and a custom motor brace which I had Fibrelyte make for me which extends down in a similar way to the Lazer ZX-R MKII item

So now the rear gearbox could be assembled. Alot of the longer screws I had to shorten to the right length and around this time I discovered kyosho blue countersunk washers which started off going in a few spots but then I used these washers and countersunk screws pretty much everywhere ...

You will notice I cut the wing mount off the gearbox, it was hard to do this to a brand new vintage part but it had to be done!

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Re: Turbo Optima Mid - Evolution aka 21st Century Mid

Post by HKS_TRD »

Another custom piece I had Fibrelyte make for me was the chassis, which is based on the LWB Mid design but has had the redundant screw holes removed, only has six cell slots and also at the front servo area has been cut the same as a Lazer ZX-R chassis so it will work withe the Lazer ZX-R servo plate

I've skipped the front gearbox and bolting them to the chassis because thats not particularly intresting and someone forgot to take photos ..
Next was the steering, for which I used ZX-R steering posts and a ZX steering plate which I had to cut a notch into so it would clear the gearbox, luckily I worked this out prior to getting the parts anodised! I used the blue ZX-S steering parts

I also had Firbelyte make a custom upper deck for me, the changes from the standard configuration being that it is symmetrical with no speed control servo mounting slots, has two countersunk holes for the screws that go into the lazer steering posts and a small notch at the rear to clear the custom motor brace just like the standard one has on the other side to clear the motor plate. You can also see the anodised ZX servo plate mounted along with blue Kyosho chassis posts and the vintage alloy bulkhead I managed to find. Though at this stage it is still raw and I was not sure if I was going to polish it or anodise it

I then bolted up the shock towers, the rear is a standard ZX-R MKI configuration from Fibrelyte while the front is their hoop type for medium length shocks however I had them remove the hoop section for the Mid, purely for aesthetic reasons

You can also see the carbon battery straps and the kyosho blue battery posts as well as the custom front wishbone pivot plate which is cut to match the shape of the gearbox, another custom piece from Fibrelyte

At this point I decided that I would indeed anodise the bulkhead after most people rightly suggested that even if I polished the bulkhead it would look out of place

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Extravagant build - You´ll not see this one at the corner of seven-eleven.
8)
Gone fishing

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

So, when it rains it pours! I managed to find another identical finned motor plate so had that anodised along with the bulkhead so I would be sure they would match. The motor plate is going to get used on another build I have planned, along with the second alloy bulkhead I found ...

The standard plastic bulkhead has the extra hole in it for the longer motor brace but the alloy one doesn't so I had to drill and tap that thread

So now I could bolt those parts up and move along. You can also see the pargu rear alloy pivot block which I had them anodise in blue to match the rest of the build

I also used UMW-1 wing parts (which is why I cut the stock wing mounts off the gearbox) along with blue chassis posts to tie the two plastic extensions together

I had also picked up some vintage white RPM wishbones which I dyed blue to use on this build

I had initially considered using equalizer shocks or anodising some medium and long gold shocks blue but then I discovered these and there was no turning back! I only managed to find blue springs for the rear

So, front wishbones and shocks went on, I used some blue kyosho shaft collars which I had to drill out because they were too small doh, I have some of the correct one now but need to get them anodised

Then rear wishbones and shocks. I used blue kyosho washers and nuts wherever I could and all other fasteners are stainless steel. I also used one of these factory blue anodised rear suspension plates, the red one that comes in the set has been anodised blue and put aside for another project

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Keeping with the theme of modern parts there was no choice but to run Kyosho CVDs, I went with the longer ones in the front as I was going to run the front in the wider configuration and of course the rears are the regular shorter width for a ZX or ZX-R. This also meant I could use the blue Kyosho pin type wheel hexes

For the front suspension I started with a pair of teamline ballraced C hubs but I hated the standard bright blue color so dyed them a darker blue, I was happy with the way they turned out

I used the 3Racing ZX-5 knuckles though you have to trim one of the surfaces to make them fit the ZXR style C hubs. You cant see this area once assembled so I left as is

I wanted to run kingpin ballstuds like the ZX-S but this required much experimentation to find the right parts to make it all work.
I ended up using these parts, raiding the collars from the pivot screw set to use on the ballstuds and it all fits together really well, you can see a regular kingpin next to the parts for comparison

I used blue titanium associated turnbuckles and Kyosho heavy duty grey rod ends which I dyed blue, well tried to, they turned out pretty much black but anyway it looks better than the dark grey color for this build

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

So now I could put the rest of the front end together and its starting to look like a complete car

For the rear I used 3Racing hubs again, though no modifications were required to use these. I forgot to take a pic of these before mounting the wheels

For wheels I went with some Kyosho ZX-R 2.2s which I dyed blue along with the mini-spike Kyosho tyres which aren't all that easy to find sometimes

And for the finishing touch a blue Shapeways bumper

So now I was able to mount the wheels up and its pretty much a complete buggy!

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

This brings me to where I am at now with the build and what I need to do to complete it.

I stumbled across one of these blue Kyosho wings and decided that it was the perfect wing for this buggy, I had to drill new holes to work but that was no big deal, I have no idea what it is intended for it looks very similar to the ZX-RR wing

The rear of it reminds me of the ZX-S, as you can see with my ZX-S sitting next to it

I am not sure what body to use on it, but I do have a spare ZX-S repro shell and undertray sitting here which I think may be ideal, and if I go for that I may go with these ZX-S style shock towers I have which bolt right up. I could then use the ones on the car for my Carbon Tub ZX-R project instead.
I also need to install the upper belt cover ofcourse but for the shelf am tempted to leave it off

Any other suggestions for a shell or thoughts on which shock towers to use?

One of my friends has commented that you can barely tell its a Mid, it just looks like a modifided Lazer ZX-R lol

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

DennisM wrote:Extravagant build - You´ll not see this one at the corner of seven-eleven.
8)
Lol thanks, its been in the works for a very long time, and the Turbo Optima Mid SE-X is now going to receive a few changes now this build is nearly done, to make them a SWB/LWB odd couple.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Ok what can i say but WOW!!! Mate your taking my thunder with style.

Do me a favour, update me on the front steering knuckle arms on what exactly you did as im in need of back up. Also have you built the zxrs yet with tub? Also that wing, where did you find that?
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

With the knuckles where the kingpins screw in one side is taller than the other unlike the ot-16 which are symmetrical. I just slowly filed the taller end till it fit the C-hubs nicely.
I haven't built the ZXRS yet as my new tub hasn't been made yet and I still need to get some parts anodised for it and the layshaft though I may put a normal layshaft in it and use one of Alcyons in the second used tub which will be a runner.

So do you think the ZXS shell would suit this build, I'm still thinking of changing the shock towers over too

The wing I got from eBay its a Kyosho item. Just search for Kyosho blue wing I guess

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I think the inferno .10 came with a yellow version of that wing 39371Y (so yours is probably a 39371BL?)
Looks like the TR-15 used it as well, although I'm not familiar with that buggy

Incredible build, very impressive! I even learned something :mrgreen: (I had no idea RPM made Lazer arms?!)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

I think that ZXS style tower is my design and looks great with the ZXS shell, and as the ZXS shell was almost identical to the Mids so why not. The tower looks good and works well so is really down to you as with this you only have one hole height on the tower wheras other options have two so if your on clay or dirt you may want more height. Just a thought anyway on that.

Layshaft for the ZX/ZXRZXRS has had a redesign and is currently on its way to me now so once ive got it and tested it I can give my final design ideas and then it should be available.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:I think the inferno .10 came with a yellow version of that wing 39371Y (so yours is probably a 39371BL?)

Incredible build, very impressive! I even learned something :mrgreen: (I had no idea RPM made Lazer arms?!)
I have a set of the same arms - and showed them off here. But I´m not sure that there was consensus about them being RPM.
There´s no brand name on them, if I´m not mistaken, HKS_TRD?

Edit: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29640

Mr. Ed and Isobarik knew 8)
Gone fishing

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Nice build! I like the blue bumper. Where to get?

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

gomachv wrote:I think the inferno .10 came with a yellow version of that wing 39371Y (so yours is probably a 39371BL?)

Thanks!. You are right about the part number, I just remembered I had a second one of these wings here and checked the part number on the card
Welshy40 wrote:I think that ZXS style tower is my design and looks great with the ZXS shell, and as the ZXS shell was almost identical to the Mids so why not. The tower looks good and works well so is really down to you as with this you only have one hole height on the tower wheras other options have two so if your on clay or dirt you may want more height. Just a thought anyway on that.

Layshaft for the ZX/ZXRZXRS has had a redesign and is currently on its way to me now so once ive got it and tested it I can give my final design ideas and then it should be available.
I already have the ZX-S shell here so will use it, the undertray is cut a little different to the Mid one but should work, I have a Mid undertray sitting on it at the moment, still need to put the upper belt cover on it but it looks kinda cool without it, makes it harder to identify it as a Mid, really the only standard mid parts on it are the gearbox cases and even then the rear one has been modified. Will the layshaft work with the B4 or VTS slipper? I already have a set of B4 slipper parts here
DennisM wrote:
I have a set of the same arms - and showed them off here. But I´m not sure that there was consensus about them being RPM.
There´s no brand name on them, if I´m not mistaken, HKS_TRD?

Edit: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29640

Mr. Ed and Isobarik knew 8)
There is no writing on the arms, I was told by the seller that they were RPM that was all I had to go on (they were used) but I did also by a nylon front gearbox case for a Lazer from the same seller, forget what brand that is but maybe they are the same brand? I dyed that blue too its going on my Lazer ZXRS tub project
rccars4sal wrote:Nice build! I like the blue bumper. Where to get?
You can get the bumper from shapeways and in particular this page on the site
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/Qimb528?s=0
They also do a white version which I am going to get next and dye, I also plan to try and dye this a little darker though the lighter shade of blue is growing on me