Scorpion Spearhead

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Re: Scorpion Spearhead

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Nice! I like the low slung look of it. Wheelbase looks long without looking silly. Great work here.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:Nice! I like the low slung look of it. Wheelbase looks long without looking silly. Great work here.
Thanks :D The wheelbase is only 10-12 mm longer than stock Scorpion, it must be the low cage that makes it look longer.
Gone fishing

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

DennisM wrote:
SMOKE-DOG wrote:Nice! I like the low slung look of it. Wheelbase looks long without looking silly. Great work here.
Thanks :D The wheelbase is only 10-12 mm longer than stock Scorpion, it must be the low cage that makes it look longer.

That's the way to go Dennis :mrgreen:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Did you ever anodize this Scorpion? Curious to see how it turned out. It looked magnificent before. How did you get it to shine so good?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Hcp22 wrote:
DennisM wrote:

That's the way to go Dennis :mrgreen:
Thanks Lars :)
TM Ru22311 wrote:Did you ever anodize this Scorpion? Curious to see how it turned out. It looked magnificent before. How did you get it to shine so good?
It has not been anodized, and no plans to do it. It´s not mirror polished, just been given a quick rub with autosol. Must be the sun playing tricks :D
Gone fishing

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Yeah, sorry Dennis, I seen were you said you REMOVED the anodize. I think it looks just perfect that way. I'm not sure what Autosol is, but it did the trick on the Scorpion. You almost need sunglasses to look at it, LOL. Not to get sidetracked, but I was watching this youtube video on setting up a homemade anodizing system. The guy was brilliant, but his voice was just soul crushing! If I didn't have little ones in the house, I would be right on setting that up. I have all my parts sanded down with 1500 grit, so now I am looking to give it all a final polish. What would you recommend?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I would recommend anodizing the polished parts...anodizing is a tough-ass coating (just try sanding if off sometime) and helps to protect the raw polished aluminum. If I was going to leave polished aluminum alone, I'd apply some automotive wax to provide at least some protection to it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Does it cost quite a bit to have parts anodized? It doesn't look too hard, but rather time consuming. I will have to see what the budget looks like after I gather all my parts, but anodizing does appeal to me and looks like a great finish. Maybe something I could get done later, but I will be sure to use a polish or wax of some kind for protection.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It varies greatly, as some shops (like the one I use) just anno and ship out- they don't really do any quality control. You send them good clean metal and the finish is good. They get $40 as a minimum shop fee and I can do a lot of parts for that. I've done several chassis, shocks, and pieces and never hit over the minimum.

Other places take a more hands on approach, smaller volumes and every part is scrutinized. Those places cost more of course but you get what you pay for 8)

Don't confuse color with anodizing. Anodizing is done first, if you want color it is dyed afterwards. You can anodize it natural and it will still protect the metal yet remain metal color.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

gomachv wrote:Don't confuse color with anodizing. Anodizing is done first, if you want color it is dyed afterwards. You can anodize it natural and it will still protect the metal yet remain metal color.
Ahhh, so the dye is a whole different process? From the parts I've seen here on this forum that have been anodized and dyed, I was highly impressed. Good, clean look! Does the dye have to be done in a certain amount of time after anodizing?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yes, from what I understand anyway.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Update with new wheels -
Attachments
IMAG0922.jpg
Gone fishing

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Autosol is a killer metal polish available all over the world buy the sound of it.. My use started twenty years ago with my first car it had globeline wheels similar to centerline an man the shine is awesome.. Nice custom scorp there to Dennis..

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

that is one COOL ride, you have done a beautiful job!!!!

I like the stealth design, very compact and simple frontal design, the AE front end looks right at home. Neat shocks (are those ishipla :?: ).

I am always on ebay, searching for vintage and rare parts, have a quite a bit, better start building myself too.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Thanks for the kind words.

Bully:
Yes, Autosol is a great product if You like it shiney.
My first BMX was all chrome and I´ve had quite some afternoons in the company of Autosol and a cloth.
And it worked it´s magic - 28 years later, I can still pickup girls on my BMX :mrgreen:

Ron:
Yes, those are Ishipla shocks.
Looking forward to pictures of Your build.
Gone fishing