Cox/Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggy

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Cox/Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggy

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Here is the buggy I've had for well over 20 years. Looking through some online manuals, I (think) it is a Tomahawk, but I could be mistaken. You can see in some of the pics that the previous owner assembled it incorrectly. I am in the process of a restoration currently. I'm not really sure how to polish this aluminum the right way, I don't want to do any damage. I have trested all the servos as working (although a couple made a squelching noise) but having extras is nice. I believe all 4 of the Cox/Sanwa servos sounded great and I don't know where the 2 odd balls came from. The motor I have not been able to test but those are relatively easy to come by if it doesn't work. I was looking for a new screw set to replace all the stripped ones but DAMN are they expensive!!! :shock: I just can't drop $35 for a bag of screws. :lol: Maybe a repro set is available cheaper. If my memory is correct, the original shocks/dampers were red and the rims were either white or chrome. I sold all the other stuff off years ago...yeah, big mistake! I had no idea some of it belonged to this car. :?

This is rather disappointing (Seeing how a replacement is about $50 on FleaBay). I think you can get a aluminum repro cheaper :/

Obviously, some of those parts don't belong. I am slowly figuring out what is what. As you can see, I don't need too many parts, but those last few parts will be killer. I think the 2 main hard ones will be that Center gear (SC-37) and the gear cover (SC-36). Wheels and shocks have proven to be a challenge also, mainly because I don't know the sizes that would fit. Anything period correct would be fine with me and I heard someone mention CRP made adapters to fit easier to find Tamiya wheels. I realized a few days ago that the dog bones are missing as well :cry: I look forward to hearing from you guys. I would appreciate any help with this restoration. I have seen many beautifully restored cars here, so I know I am in good hands with advise. I am also into RC Micro Heli's and that is where most of my funds goes but I will have to put that on hold to try and find what I am missing for this.

scootmike
Approved Member

Re: Cox/Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggy

Post by scootmike »

Nice start for a Tomahawk resto.
Your best bet will probably be ebay, maybe you'll get lucky and find a donor chassis for a decent price.
Good Luck!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

With all that aluminum, that would be a beauty if you polished it up! The aluminum parts look to be in pretty good condition. If there are no scratches, polishing isn't hard--but it's very labor-intensive. Buy an assortment of automotive sandpaper; you'll need 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grit. If the parts surfaces are in good shape, no major scratches, start with 600, dipping the sandpaper often in water. When you have a consistent, satin finish, move on to the next finer grit (800), and repeat all the way up to 1500. Flat parts are quite easy to polish. When you finish with the 1500, you'll have a very fine almost-polished finish. It would look great like that, but you could go further and use automotive rubbing compound after that, then finish the job with automotive polishing compound. By this time, you'll have a nice, glossy finish. Your wrists and hands will probably be sore as hell. :twisted:

The 400-grit is mentioned in case you have parts with scratches. You use the 400 to rub out the scratches, rubbing perpendicularly to the scratches. Then, once you've rubbed them out and have a consistent hazy surface, follow the procedure above with the 600 on up.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Nice start of a tomahawk there. I agree with coel, polish them parts up.

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

Post by KyoshoScorpionKid »

Ya speaking from experience that thing will clean up very nice, everyone has their method but the results will be awesome! I love taking ugly and making it unbelievable.
Attachments
2scorpions.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice polish job on that buggy, KSK! Yes, it's great to see before/after pics of some of these guys' cars...amazing restorations abound on this site.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Nice Tomahawk.
And you already fund out that new parts are expensive. $35 for a screw bag is not that steep, usually they cost around $50-60...
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Thank you all for the replies. I have wet sanded before and yes it is a process, but I agree...it will be well worth the outcome. I wasn't sure if I could do that to this buggy but now that I know, time to get them elbows workin' :D I have thought about the price of the screw set and considering a local Hardware store charges anywhere from $0.25 ~ $0.75 per screw and these are no longer available, that isn't too steep. Is that something that shows up often or should I jump on that immediately?

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

RCScrewz sells vintage screw sets that are stainless steel, mostly hex-head, and quite affordable. They don't show a Tomahawk, but maybe there's a lot of screw hardware similar to the vintage Scorpion? Never owned either but their chassis' look similar. I'd guess a good portion of that set would be similar.

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info.php/p/kyo069-kyosho-scorpion-vintage-stainless-steel-screw-kit/products_id/484

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Not sure if they'll fit, but those are exactly 62.5mm from crosspin-to-crosspin.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Not having these parts to start with is making it very difficult to get replacements. The manual is not much help either. I really need a list of what other models wheels & shocks would be fitting since it is virtually impossible to locate the original SC-XX parts anywhere :( I have no idea about the exact sizes of what I need. Definitely need some help :)

Thank you for the scewz link!!! I came across that page a few days ago and forgot to bookmark :lol: Wonder how the shipping charges will be?

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

That is awesome! I tried everything to do a worldwide search and got nothing...eBay N00B, LoL. He has some good stuff and thank you for the help!!!!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Just glad I can help :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback