Kyosho Shadow?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Shadow?

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

rccars4sal wrote:All those plastic fantastics sure are tempting, very pretty! Build build! I sold the super scale cars in my collection some time ago, but regularly enjoyed looking at and handling them. It would be nice to know if any of shadow mechanical drive train parts would retrofit to other models. Axles, dogbones, hubs, suspension arms, steering crank assemblies....
I was going to keep the Scale Series cars and build them since they look so nice. But I read the body tends to crack quite quickly due to its thinness, so I decided to sell the Diablo model, and I will sell this one too.

Guy has the Porsche 911 on the Ultima chassis in a kit still as well. But the Diablo and Jaguar had the crazy adjustable wheelbase chassis with 4WD that interested me intiially.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Yeah, the bodies will crack where the body mounts are screwed in on the sides. Its a strange clip lock system, thats hard to manipulate, and fussing with the body right there will definitely make splits in the lexan. The interior and engine deails are out of this world though.

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

That's too bad. Would have been neat.

tomolupus
Approved Member

Post by tomolupus »

I had two XJ220:s, Never liked it though, to much plastic.
Got my first i 92-93 I think, it was my second rc-car and my first brand new.
Built it but didn't run it for two years or something, I just hated the XJ220 body so I replaced it with a Kyosho Sierra rs500 Cosworth body.
Now it looked just awesome with the wide, deep chrome rims from the XJ220 without those awful hubcaps.
I sold it later with the original body to a Jaguar collector.
Some years later I got a deal on another one, never run and with six new Kyosho gold shocks on it.
The gold shocks made it look like an off road car but the owner had on display like that for years.
The original shocks came with the car so I put those on and traded that car away.
Though I never liked it myself its a cool and unusual chassis design and I´m sure they will be very collectable in the future just because they are rare.
Btw a friend of mine has a ton of spares for these cars.

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

It is an interesting design for sure. I love that it uses 4 shocks in the back.

The Diablo I hsd sold on eBay for a good amount to a guy in Hong Kong. I'd probably keep the Jaguar just because it's so different if I didn't have so much other stuff picked up recently.

But I'm tempted to just save it for later. But I think it could be appreciated better by someone else.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

After selling out all my super scale cars and chassis,, I kept a diablo body, and a set of diablo wheels and tires,,, but just realized,, I recently shipped the wheels and tires out..... but still got the body for a special project!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

rccars4sal wrote:All those plastic fantastics sure are tempting, very pretty! Build build! I sold the super scale cars in my collection some time ago, but regularly enjoyed looking at and handling them. It would be nice to know if any of shadow mechanical drive train parts would retrofit to other models. Axles, dogbones, hubs, suspension arms, steering crank assemblies....
The axles do, but why bother? It's more interesting to upgrade the Shadow with parts from other more competion-oriented Kyosho cars. Universals will drop right in, and you can put the whole car on ball bearings. Turnbuckles for the steering and better shocks can also be done.

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

I'll get ball bearings for sure. I still have a set of the Kyosho gold shocks, but I don't think opening the package for a Shadow makes sense. :)

Which universals fit?

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

WhoKnowsWho wrote:I'll get ball bearings for sure. I still have a set of the Kyosho gold shocks, but I don't think opening the package for a Shadow makes sense. :)
Try to find a set of Kyosho black shocks (plastic body, silver end cap, found on GP-10 cars etc.). The originals are Kyosho's 'blink and they'll leak'-shocks.
Which universals fit?
IIRC, Optima.

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
WhoKnowsWho wrote:I'll get ball bearings for sure. I still have a set of the Kyosho gold shocks, but I don't think opening the package for a Shadow makes sense. :)
Try to find a set of Kyosho black shocks (plastic body, silver end cap, found on GP-10 cars etc.). The originals are Kyosho's 'blink and they'll leak'-shocks.
Which universals fit?
IIRC, Optima.
The shocks were assembled by the previous owner and whatever "oil" was there turned into some sludge residue and mostly disappeared.

I'll keep an eye on eBay.

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

Man you got some nice cars! :)
I would keep the Shadow a a shelfer.

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

It might stay as a shelfer. I know I'll at least build it since it was already started. :-)

Bananasmoothie1975

Post by Bananasmoothie1975 »

So what became of this buggy? I have one in barely used condition, found this thread while Googling.
Attachments
Kyosho Shadow 4WD
Kyosho Shadow 4WD

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

What became of which buggy? One in this thread or the Shadow in general? That's your red one in the pic? It does look like it's in nice condition although the color choice could have been better. Whoever painted the body on mine decided fluorescent greenish yellow was a good idea so there's that.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

a friend of mine built one to run at the vonats a few years back. he didn't end up making it to the event but in practice the car was actually pretty nice for a classics class racer.