Can Marwan Optima Mid body fit on TBG undertray ?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jirka
Approved Member

Re: Can Marwan Optima Mid body fit on TBG undertray ?

Post by Jirka »

That "short" undertray to SWB MID was originally made by Sarik. The original Sarik undertray was made from really thick Lexan and no-one around here had never problems with it stucking in to the ground etc. It should be mounted with same screws that holds steering and the front of the undertray did not go much forward from those screws.

Since MID drivetrain is closed they don't need undertrays unlike C.A.T.s and C870 due to their otherwise open drivetrain. But undertray helped in rainy/wet condition to keep the car lighter than running without it.

Jirka

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What Jirka said. I mounted my Mid undertray using double-sided tape and a pair of flathead screws and conical washers; it should never rip off and the bigger surface contact area of the conical washers should prevent cracking of the Lexan where it's bolted on, than if I used screws alone.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

My main concern about the tbg under tray is it allows the front and back of the chassis to get scratched up. If Im going to spend $$ on chassis protection, then it needs to offer chassis protection.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I´m not sure that it´s meant as chassis protection - as Jirka mentioned, main purpose would be too keep the mud out.
If You want chassis protection, buy a new chassis and put it on the shelf and then mount it when You´re done using it as a racer.
It´s a race car and the main concern about the chassis, would be how to avoid bending or twisting it :D
Gone fishing

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

As said above the undertray is there to keep water and mud out of the electrics, not protect the chassis. After all, if the chassis was damaged you just bought another.

To protect the chassis use either chassis protector film, or just a piece of sheet lexan cut to fit the chassis shape.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

WOW! Looks like im def out voted on this,, but my opinion stays the same. I just dont see the logic in a half cover for the chassis. Every buggy I ever owned that included a chassis tray had a full tray.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I figured I'd share some pictures that should clarify what the TBG undertray covers and how I chose to install it. I used 2 strips of double-sided tape and 2 flathead screws & those purple conical washers. They only protrude about 1.5mm out from the Lexan surface. You can see where the undertray doesn't extend to the front or all the way to the rear, I can't answer why but it seemed odd to me, too. Oh well, the tray fits pretty snug to the chassis plate when positioned correctly, and I suppose you could stick on pieces of the chassis protector film Terry mentioned in the open areas, if you really wanted to.
Attachments
Undertray_Side.JPG
Undertray_Bottom.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Im wondering if the optima pro tray offered full coverage,, and if it would translate well to a SWB mid.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I can't say for sure but I doubt it...the Optima Pro tray might actually fit an original Optima chassis better than a Mid. Just a guess though.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

The Optima Pro tray has some pretty pronounced contours rather than being flat on the bottom and I anticipate it might now work all that well on the Mid

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

after reading through these comments, I feel I should give TBG a try, after all I am quite disappointed with Marwans stickers which peel off rather easily. Besides I have just realized buying from Kamtec isn't cheap because of the currency used. I want to buy a SWB Mid body, undertray and wing from TBG and decals I will try this other Canadian fellow mci_racing, who is selling decals about $7.50 cheaper than Marwan, no harm trying them. Also while he doesn't have decals to the SE, which I want to stick for this car, he says he is working on it.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

From what I understand the decal guy is part of the same group, when I talked to TBG last it was his machine 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

gomachv wrote:From what I understand the decal guy is part of the same group, when I talked to TBG last it was his machine 8)
That's the thing, when I asked TBG about decals, he flat out told me "we don't make decals, only bodies", I had the impression that TBG also made the decals until I looked closely at the ebay username of the decal seller.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

rccars4sal wrote:WOW! Looks like im def out voted on this,, but my opinion stays the same. I just dont see the logic in a half cover for the chassis. Every buggy I ever owned that included a chassis tray had a full tray.
I agree, it should not be difficult at all to make a tray that is the same as the LWB design but for the SWB. No doubt the main purpose of the undertray is to keep out crud, but it can do two jobs at once.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Well that's odd about the decals, I may have to drop Jon an email and see what's up.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website