Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by ron »

LOVE the simple black and chrome scheme! :mrgreen:

The scorpion is indeed a realistic buggy

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

A couple of driving notes/tips. After a quick bomb around the yard, I lost one of the lower screws on the servo saver and lost steering. I forgot to thread lock the screw. Dont forget thread lock!!! Also, when the car hit the concrete patio in the backyard and I turned hard, the tires made a a squealing/howl sound that startled me. It sounded like a real car out in the street! :lol:

olblueyez
Approved Member

Post by olblueyez »

RichieRich wrote:A couple of driving notes/tips. After a quick bomb around the yard, I lost one of the lower screws on the servo saver and lost steering. I forgot to thread lock the screw. Dont forget thread lock!!! Also, when the car hit the concrete patio in the backyard and I turned hard, the tires made a a squealing/howl sound that startled me. It sounded like a real car out in the street! :lol:
This one gonna be a runner for you? :D
“When lip service to some mysterious deity permits bestiality on Wednesday and absolution on Sunday, cash me out." ~ Frank Sinatra

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

In a few weeks time the 2014 kyosho beetle will be here,

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Beetle-2014-Buggy-Kit_p_23533.html#

I lov beetle and I a getting one, I hope kyosho releases some cool hopups for it, and I hope pargu or someone else makes those rear 5 slotted jelly bean wheels in aluminum, just like those, I will buy a ton of them :mrgreen: Not that fancy looking as the scorpion, I must say. Bought some scorpion hopups from banzai hobby, really affordable and with EMS shipping it got here just with 8-10 days. I got the CNC caster locks and the way cool carbon fiber servo mount, a must have.

there is this guy on ebay making LEMANS decals for the vintage motors, so very cool, now he has decals for all of them! will be getting a few, 10 bucks for a pair, should have option for $5 each, this way you can mix and match, he will sell like crazy.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

That's ultrahive, he does great work but had a little falling out with us. I would send him a message on ebay, he will likely mix and match for you.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

JUST DID and gave him a 'pat on the back' and 2 thumbs up for those excellent decals, man they are professional like from the pictures. I would like to get my hands on the 480s and 480t, digging the colors. Since I will be using a plain 380 brushless for my vintage beetle, I will slap one of the lemans decals there, another will go on the 2014 beetle, these are good to have, I had wished someone to make them.

imagine all the diff decals he can do!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

He did some killer twister stickers for me in purple to match a car.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

RichieRich wrote:A couple of driving notes/tips. After a quick bomb around the yard, I lost one of the lower screws on the servo saver and lost steering. I forgot to thread lock the screw. Dont forget thread lock!!! Also, when the car hit the concrete patio in the backyard and I turned hard, the tires made a a squealing/howl sound that startled me. It sounded like a real car out in the street! :lol:
I noticed the tire squeal too. In fact, I spent ten minutes doing donuts on my concrete garage floor after I discovered it. :)

Riverside Race Team

Post by Riverside Race Team »

I ran my original bug for RC TV recently ,can`t wait for the new one ,enjoying all the new builds on here cool stuff. I will try and post pic.s of mine have to find out how to make them smaller..
Check out (Xtenproductions428-You Tube) Retro-race...

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

Riverside Race Team wrote:I ran my original bug for RC TV recently ,can`t wait for the new one ,enjoying all the new builds on here cool stuff. I will try and post pic.s of mine have to find out how to make them smaller..
Check out (Xtenproductions428-You Tube) Retro-race...
HI!... Just open up a Photobucket account. Put pics there and copy the link to them and post it here. It's that easy. No resizing. Photobucket does it for you. That's what I do.
102 RC vehicles and counting...

radiocontrolhead

Post by radiocontrolhead »

Hey guys, New to the forums, new to the new electric generation (brushless/lipo, etc) and i'm loving it. Had an old RC10 Graphite back in the day and only dreamed of having the run times/performance i'm getting out of these machines today. Anyway, I splurged on a kyosho Scorpion a few months ago because of the beautiful looks of it.

Are any of you guys getting excessive slop in the steering? It seems as though the front wheels camber will change by about 4 degrees just from slightly wiggling the tire. When the buggy sits on a flat surface the front wheels bow inward with excessive camber. Is this the way the buggy was designed? What can I do to alleviate this possible problem? From what I was able to identify, the elbow kingpin moves very easily within the suspension arm and within the steering knuckles. Have I crashed too many times?

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

It sounds like that the front shaft has rotated a bit, then you will get funny angles... But that's easy fixed with a set screw in the shaft blocks... http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21558

And when you are done it should work like this....

[youtube]kYls0scmTVw[/youtube]
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

radiocontrolhead

Post by radiocontrolhead »

Thank you for the helpful reply!

I will check to see if that is the case as soon as i get home but I've verified the tick marks to be exactly where i left them and still have that problem. I noticed that the kingpin elbows move freely within their counterparts (not in a rotating manner). additionally, Are the suspension arms supposed to move within the castor locks very much? I feel like i'm getting a lot of play within these two parts as well.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

radiocontrolhead wrote:Thank you for the helpful reply!

I will check to see if that is the case as soon as i get home but I've verified the tick marks to be exactly where i left them and still have that problem. I noticed that the kingpin elbows move freely within their counterparts (not in a rotating manner). additionally, Are the suspension arms supposed to move within the castor locks very much? I feel like i'm getting a lot of play within these two parts as well.
All parts should move freely, but remember this is 32 year old construction and its sloppy :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've never built a Scorpion, new or old, but looking at the design reminds me of my buddy's AYK Buffalo that I restored and modded. The 5.8mm pillow balls and open-ended ball-ends remind me of the Optima's front end. I personally don't like those components because it's so easy for dirt to get inside the joints and they wear out, get loose, and the ball-ends pop off way too easily. I personally like to replace all 5.8mm balls with 4.8mm balls and use 4.8mm ball-cups instead of open-ended ball-ends. I beefed up the steering on my brother's Marui Galaxy, the Buffalo and my Optimas with these parts. 3Racing makes alloy 4.8mm ball studs and hex balls in several colors. I wonder if switching to 4.8mm balls & ball-cups might help reduce slop and ball-ends popping off too easily?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3