Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by kaiser »

CHKTM wrote:Maybe the jconcepts rc10 tyres would be worth a shot.
the jconcepts "rips" fronts for the rc10 work great, a fantastic tire.
the rear tires from jconcepts are for a 1.7" wheel, the scorp's are 1.5", don't fit.
anyone know where we can find some 1.7" rear wheels that will work on the scorpion?

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

ron wrote:CHKTM - i AGREE seen how she moves, the slow mo vids are SO SO MUCH needed to see what it is doing, the suspension travel and all that, I LOVE IT.

Wonder who initially designed the scorp??? What kind of person or team were they? Such brilliance, that is why I LOVE vintage RC so much. Such ingenuity.

The rears may allow or assist in bottoming out, the shocks can have inserts placed so they don't travel so far but I guess the issue are the tires compressing under impact and allowing the buggy to bottom out. If more travel was possible, you would not have that issue, trying the low pro tires will help, if you don't want to change the cool and realistic look of the rear tires, put in some hard foam wrapped in a thin layer of soft foam to stop the rears from squashing too much. I have the vintage GOODYEAR knobby tires, they are hard enough to stand and not compress so much, never owned or tried the medium rear tires, I don't think they have a hard tire? Try tamiya SS paddle tires, they should work, right?

Another thing is lighting the buggy, will help to some extent if the jumps are forgivable!

I have totally different setup to mine, electric gear is all morden, I am using 1/18 scale electronics, all so small, takes less room, the motor is tiny as hell, 18 t 1/18 scale one, I don't think it will make it shoot like a rocket but I like for a 1/10 scale to have something of that size for appearance. you can also get the smaller battery packs - LIPOS, more power etc. I will say this - mechanical wise buggies of the 80s and 90s wiere very good in performance, especially from kyosho, electronics were huge, cumbersome, heavy and spoilt the look of the buggy, it just filled up the whole buggy. Well now with small tiny modern electronics we have a chance of getting the best from both the past and present. Just my thought.

Compare the 1/7 scale sorp, see how small the motor is compared to its size, you can effortlessly use the traxax 1/16, 380 motor too.
Hey Ron, all good thoughts and points, weight makes a big difference for sure, I found dropping from a 5200 30c back to a 4000 20c made a lot of difference and I'm still getting half hour run time. I'm quite happy with mine now. There's a good read about the original Scorpion design here, he must have been a very clever guy.
http://rctoymemories.com/2014/09/30/kyosho-scorpion-1982/

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

CHKTM -

great INFO, THANKS! I love the the way the guy describes everything, poetic, we are all on the same page here, Yeap the scorp was designed to be a light buggy, that is what makes it have such a complicated design and form, very interesting and realistic. I am glad the re-release stayed true to the design and added a bit of modern high performance parts.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

ron wrote:CHKTM -

great INFO, THANKS! I love the the way the guy describes everything, poetic, we are all on the same page here, Yeap the scorp was designed to be a light buggy, that is what makes it have such a complicated design and form, very interesting and realistic. I am glad the re-release stayed true to the design and added a bit of modern high performance parts.
It is an interesting website with loads of info on the classic rc cars. I'm so glad they decided to bring back these old designs with a modern touch, such fun and so realistic looking. The Scorpion was my first ever RC car so it has a lot of nostalgia for me.

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

I have the scorpion and I have it with a beetle body - sand scorcher body, had to cut the ladder chassis short by 1.5cm to get the scorchers wheel base. It looks pretty good, bought the original sand scorcher body, than I got the re=release body so so that I could cut the fenders off and give it that BAJA BUG look, with those knobby rear tires it looks SO REAL! It really is a beauty. Nedd to paint it and all, got myself the kyosho datsun, its vintage and the suspension works so well, I prefer this to the tamiya hilux or blazer just because it handles so well cause of its long travel trailing arm independent suspension.

Recently have gotten a circuit 20 rowdy baja extra buggy, - NEW condition, it has the ball diff. And than bought a land jump integra, I am all done for now with 1/8. It is so easy to work with 1/8 scale, everything looks so right on them. I am glad I got the rowdy with ball diff, was looking for it the longest, nothing beats having something like that new. I started late in vintage RC but it has been a blast, have to spend a lot of $$$ cause how rare the old stuff is.

Not hearing much about the re-re beetle, don't think its so popular, but its nice to own!

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

ron wrote:I have the scorpion and I have it with a beetle body - sand scorcher body, had to cut the ladder chassis short by 1.5cm to get the scorchers wheel base. It looks pretty good, bought the original sand scorcher body, than I got the re=release body so so that I could cut the fenders off and give it that BAJA BUG look, with those knobby rear tires it looks SO REAL! It really is a beauty. Nedd to paint it and all, got myself the kyosho datsun, its vintage and the suspension works so well, I prefer this to the tamiya hilux or blazer just because it handles so well cause of its long travel trailing arm independent suspension.

Recently have gotten a circuit 20 rowdy baja extra buggy, - NEW condition, it has the ball diff. And than bought a land jump integra, I am all done for now with 1/8. It is so easy to work with 1/8 scale, everything looks so right on them. I am glad I got the rowdy with ball diff, was looking for it the longest, nothing beats having something like that new. I started late in vintage RC but it has been a blast, have to spend a lot of $$$ cause how rare the old stuff is.

Not hearing much about the re-re beetle, don't think its so popular, but its nice to own!
Your Beetle sounds like a beast, cool. That's what I like about Kyosho vs Tamiya, the Kyosho usually handles the best by a long shot, Tamiya either have no idea or can't be bothered trying to get a buggy to handle decently. An example is my friend just bought a Wild One and brought it out yesterday. He said he wouldn't bother running it as compared to the Scorpion the suspension is a joke. I gave it a drop and the front bounced cause of too much pack and the rear bounced just as bad because of the opposite, too soft and too heavier spring. It would have just bounced around the track.
A Circuit 20 buggy, that one has some age on it for sure, I've only seen one in real life about 20 years ago and it was vintage then lol. The Land Jump was a cool buggy, I wanted that one as my first buggy but being 1/8th and nitro the hobby shop owner suggested I'd be better off with the 1/10th electric Scorpion which might be a better first choice. I did love the Scorpion and a few years later bought the Thunder Tiger Silver Fox which was a copy of the Land Jump pretty much. I had that for many years and had lots of fun with it.
Have fun with the beetle Ron.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Here's a bit more slow mo action for those that like the slow mo.
http://youtu.be/NXtCYn8SJCM

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

Awesome video.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Returning_Jim wrote:Awesome video.
Thanks Jim. Such a cool looking buggy.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

CHKTM wrote: An example is my friend just bought a Wild One and brought it out yesterday. He said he wouldn't bother running it as compared to the Scorpion the suspension is a joke. I gave it a drop and the front bounced cause of too much pack and the rear bounced just as bad because of the opposite, too soft and too heavier spring. It would have just bounced around the track.
A Circuit 20 buggy, that one has some age on it for sure, I've only seen one in real life about 20 years ago and it was vintage then lol. The Land Jump was a cool buggy, I wanted that one as my first buggy but being 1/8th and nitro the hobby shop owner suggested I'd be better off with the 1/10th electric Scorpion which might be a better first choice. I did love the Scorpion and a few years later bought the Thunder Tiger Silver Fox which was a copy of the Land Jump pretty much. I had that for many years and had lots of fun with it.
Have fun with the beetle Ron.

my friend is convinced his fast attack is going to "school" my scorpion. i laughed and told him to bring it on.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

my friend is convinced his fast attack is going to "school" my scorpion. i laughed and told him to bring it on.[/quote]

Hmmff, I would have done the same, there'd be no comparison lol.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i've got an issue thats popped up.

left rear trailing arm is binding. if i loosen the set screws that hold the hinge pin in it frees up, but those are supposed to be tight.
i'm going to investigate further tonight.

Oozzee
Approved Member

Post by Oozzee »

Hi Kaiser,
let me know what you find out, i have the same problem with my Scorp, 1 trailing arm has a bind/Notch half way through its travel, the other side i was able to fix by pulling the trailing arm out tight when tightening the screws ( 10 - 20 pages back)
The Dreaded 7 - 10 Split

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

If it is the std bind that is included in the kit it will be the dogbone being fractionally long causing it. See if removing the dogbone eliminates the issue. I ground the ends down on mine to remedy this. My friend says the issue isn't there when using the universal shafts. I think Kyosho should have included these instead of the piece of paper telling you how they think it will be fixed by loosening the arm mounts and pulling forward on the arms while tightening which may or may not work. It didn't for me. Contacting Kyosho might be worth a go, see if they'll send out some universal shafts.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

Any credibility to these Optima Mid 2015 rere rumours?