Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by kaiser »

i ran into a couple of issues last night:

one rear trailing arm's (sc203) inner bearing hole is too small. i know they are a tight fit but it's a no go. cracked a bearing trying to install it with a bearing driver.
the center trans mount hole on the rear plate (sc212) is not countersunk.

anyone else run into this?

also the goodyear on the fronts are yellow? i didn't have the scuffing on the rears though. not a big issue, probably not going to use the tires anyway.

other then that the quality of this kit is fantastic. kyosho really killed it with this one. i look forward to future re-re's.

also, anyone know if the jconcepts tires for the re-re rc10 fit the scorpion wheels?

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

kaiser wrote:i ran into a couple of issues last night:

one rear trailing arm's (sc203) inner bearing hole is too small. i know they are a tight fit but it's a no go. cracked a bearing trying to install it with a bearing driver.
the center trans mount hole on the rear plate (sc212) is not countersunk.

anyone else run into this?

also the goodyear on the fronts are yellow? i didn't have the scuffing on the rears though. not a big issue, probably not going to use the tires anyway.

other then that the quality of this kit is fantastic. kyosho really killed it with this one. i look forward to future re-re's.

also, anyone know if the jconcepts tires for the re-re rc10 fit the scorpion wheels?
My rear wheel bearings where a tight fit but I pressed them in quite easily so I guess you've got a problem there? Had no issue with that hole not being countersunk or yellow Goodyear on the front tyres, odd. The tyres work well to be honest, especially the soft rears, even the hard fronts work well, I was surprised. I got some mediums to try but haven't felt the need yet. I was lucky I guess, my kit turned out good, nothing missing or any dramas apart from the slight binding issue in one rear dogbone which was fixed by loosening the arm mount screws and tightening while holding full toe out. I'm really quite happy with mine so far.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

kaiser wrote:i'm pretty excited. it should be here tomorrow.
after watching your videos and some others i'm even more excited, this thing looks like it handles much better then anything else from that era.

im going to toss a tamiya sport tuned in there and see how it goes. i don't think i'll go brushless on it, it's destined for the classics class.
It is really surprising just how well this thing handles, I'd have to say the same much better than anything else from that time, years ahead of itself. I found the brushed motors I was using got hot and slowed a bit with a lipo as they aren't meant to run that long I'd say. I just fitted a 9.5t brushless and with std gearing it goes well, it is still controllable and is quite quick and doesn't get hot at all.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Alx wrote:Hi folks

New on here. This one was a bit of an impulse buy for me on black Friday. Its the first r/c I've had since building the Frog back in 1984 but it was such a stunner I couldn't resist. I'm not sure how much use it'll actually get but it'll look good in a shelf somewhere I'm sure. Here's my take with Tamiya metallic blue and white.

Hi there
Nice, looks great, they look good on the shelf or running. Have fun

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

CHKTM wrote:
My rear wheel bearings where a tight fit but I pressed them in quite easily so I guess you've got a problem there? Had no issue with that hole not being countersunk or yellow Goodyear on the front tyres, odd. The tyres work well to be honest, especially the soft rears, even the hard fronts work well, I was surprised. I got some mediums to try but haven't felt the need yet. I was lucky I guess, my kit turned out good, nothing missing or any dramas apart from the slight binding issue in one rear dogbone which was fixed by loosening the arm mount screws and tightening while holding full toe out. I'm really quite happy with mine so far.
i spoke with kyosho yesterday, i'm shipping out the bad parts today. they will take care of it.

this car will be run on high traction blue groove tracks so i need better tires for sure. i do like the way the rears feel, nice tire. but some modern rubber would work much better.

so, anyone try those jconcepts tires for the re re rc10?

radiocontrolhead

Post by radiocontrolhead »

I have taken my scorpion to a blue groove track (clay) without any modification to the tires and it handled pretty well. wish i did have proper tires but this is my first car on the track. on a side note, unless the buggy has a perfect landing, it tends to bottom out and bounce pretty easily and lose control. I have not broken any substantial parts after the abuse i put the thing through but i did replace the roll bar and plastic cage one time.

my buggy is powered by a castle creations combo kit. 4600 kv. It's a lot of motor but it can handle it easily.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

radiocontrolhead wrote:I have taken my scorpion to a blue groove track (clay) without any modification to the tires and it handled pretty well. wish i did have proper tires but this is my first car on the track. on a side note, unless the buggy has a perfect landing, it tends to bottom out and bounce pretty easily and lose control. I have not broken any substantial parts after the abuse i put the thing through but i did replace the roll bar and plastic cage one time.

my buggy is powered by a castle creations combo kit. 4600 kv. It's a lot of motor but it can handle it easily.
it may seem like it handles the motor fine, but thats part of the reason for your issues/broken parts. 4600kv is alot of motor for an oldie like the scorp.
you can also try some heavier oil in the shocks, should help with the bounce.

radiocontrolhead

oh no, i haven't had any broken parts except for the roll bar and the plastic roll cage that attaches to the roll bar and the body. This is from attempting a triple and landing roof side down… The scorp is nearly bulletproof.

The real issue i'm having that's preventing me from tracking it is a glitch/hesitation problem. Not sure what part of my electronics it might be.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

kaiser wrote:
CHKTM wrote:
i spoke with kyosho yesterday, i'm shipping out the bad parts today. they will take care of it.

this car will be run on high traction blue groove tracks so i need better tires for sure. i do like the way the rears feel, nice tire. but some modern rubber would work much better.

so, anyone try those jconcepts tires for the re re rc10?
Cool you've got the issues sorted. Hopefully those RC10 tyres will fit for you but as was mentioned the kit tyres work well on a variety of surfaces including hardpack clay, the soft compound work well on the rear, worth a try at least if you can't get those jconcept tyres.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

radiocontrolhead wrote:I have taken my scorpion to a blue groove track (clay) without any modification to the tires and it handled pretty well. wish i did have proper tires but this is my first car on the track. on a side note, unless the buggy has a perfect landing, it tends to bottom out and bounce pretty easily and lose control. I have not broken any substantial parts after the abuse i put the thing through but i did replace the roll bar and plastic cage one time.

I run mine on a track with a surface that varies from hard to hard with loose stuff on top and found the tyres work well on all parts of the track, I think they did a great job with them. The stock shock oil is too soft for any jump over about a foot, especially if you aren't using light batteries it will bottom hard unless you land the down ramp perfectly, remember back in the 80s jumps were only a few inches high in general and a buggy wasn't set up to handle massive jumps it was set up to smooth out a rough track. It is a bit like trying to ride a vintage mx bike on a supercross track lol. Try some oil 10wt heavier maybe and go from there. I'm running a 4120kv motor and found it handles it well, it is surprising how much power the buggy can use. Good luck with your glitch, hope you can sort it.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Here's the buggy doing a few jumps with the new 9.5t motor. You can see a bit of bounce still unless I land it perfectly but it is amazing to see how it can get out of shape and still land. I'll have to increase the oil weight next a little and see how it goes. It has plenty of power to make the distance now. You can see it can handle that power fine, it's great fun although the crashes are bigger again lol.
http://youtu.be/d1B6EHCnA3I

radiocontrolhead

nice video and nice jump! I wish the track I take the scorp to had the hard compacted sand like in your video. Maybe i'll look for that because the clay has so much traction it's kinda scary.

on a different note. Has anyones scorpion's front end develop excessive slop throughout all the parts? (arms, kingpin, front knuckles) if so to what extent?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

nice jumps, that handles it pretty well. even when the lading isn't perfect it settles in well.
impressive, i take back what i said about too much motor.

the classics class is going to get interesting. now if we can just get them to get the 4wd's out of it.
(a baja king has won classics the last 4 years)

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

radiocontrolhead wrote:nice video and nice jump! I wish the track I take the scorp to had the hard compacted sand like in your video. Maybe i'll look for that because the clay has so much traction it's kinda scary.

on a different note. Has anyones scorpion's front end develop excessive slop throughout all the parts? (arms, kingpin, front knuckles) if so to what extent?
It is good fun with a bit of slide and wheelspin. The top part of the track has more hard clay and it does grip on that all right. To be honest most 2wd develop some slop in the joints, I was watching my RC10GT video and you can see the wobble in the front worse than my Scorpion. I think in the RC Tech forum guys are talking about sleeving some bits.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

kaiser wrote:nice jumps, that handles it pretty well. even when the lading isn't perfect it settles in well.
impressive, i take back what i said about too much motor.

the classics class is going to get interesting. now if we can just get them to get the 4wd's out of it.
(a baja king has won classics the last 4 years)
I wouldn't have guessed the buggy could handle that sort of power with ease really. I bought a 17.5 turn thinking that'd be about its limit, was I wrong lol. I'm super impressed with its handling, and that's out of the box. Go get the Baja King lol.