Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TomEG
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by TomEG »

Somebody was concerned about the added weight with my "monoshock-unit" for the scorp, so I had it made in plastic :twisted:
IMG_1558_sm.jpg
Well.... not really :lol: I made some 3D models of the parts, and had them 3D-printed at Shapeways. The plastic feels strong enough, but it flexes too much to actually be used. I really had them 3d-printed for prototyping, as it's quick and cheap, and I want to do some small tweaks to them before I get the final parts CNC'd in alu. With 3d-printing I can tweak them and make small adjustments until they are perfect.

Sharp eyes will see that the shock now is in front of the arms, instead of behind them. There is now more than enough clearance from the scorpions rollcage. I have also added thrust bearings between the support plate and the arms, in place of the spacers used before. The next step is to get some countersunk "grooves" for the thrust bearings on both the support plate and the arms, as well as countersunk holes for the screws. The goal is to make it more compact and go clear of the radio tub, so it can be used on a scorp without modifying the tub. I'm not sure if I will be able to do that, though..... But all the fun is in trying!

Disclaimer: I don't care if monoshocks are worse than individual shocks, and I'm sure that there are many shock setups that are better than this for racing. The point is that I'm more of a mech/engineering type of guy than a racing driver, and I find great satisfaction in doing things like this. Making things unique, and different from what you normally see. Of course making it work well is a big goal, but I'm really not concerned if it works better than this or that. Fitting a stabilizer bar is the next project, as that should counter the body roll that usually comes with monoshocks. As for the added weight.... I hear that the scorp is front heavy, well, not mine :lol:

Tom

scootmike
Approved Member

Post by scootmike »

Very nice Tom.
I'd like to get a hold of one that is exactly like the original Thorp.
Plan on making a copy of the original Thorp rear sway bar too.
Keep up the good work :)

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

scootmike wrote:Very nice Tom.
I'd like to get a hold of one that is exactly like the original Thorp.
Plan on making a copy of the original Thorp rear sway bar too.
Keep up the good work :)
Thanks for the encouraging words Mike!
The parts on this unit is made from the exact measurements of the original Thorp unit, I also got hardware (spacers, bolts etc) that matches those that came with the Thorp.
img_000.jpg
img_00.jpg
However... the Thorp unit with its original spec hardware couldn't possibly fit the scorpion without modifications. Even the Tomahawk body will have to be modified. That's why we only see "strange" creatures like this:
img_0.jpg
and this:
img_10.jpg
I would like it to be a direct fit on a rere scorpion, that's what I'm aiming for.

BTW. You shouldn't happen to have a good picture of the Thorp rear sway bar, and how it is fitted?

Tom

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Interesting....the motor on that second scorpion is reversed. :?:

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Phin wrote:Interesting....the motor on that second scorpion is reversed. :?:
Hmm.... maybe it's the picture that is reversed???

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

TomEG wrote:
Phin wrote:Interesting....the motor on that second scorpion is reversed. :?:
Hmm.... maybe it's the picture that is reversed???
That's likely it. Can't read any of the writing on the motor or gearbox cover to see if it's reversed.

It got my attention because the only other Scorpion I've seen with a flipped motor was Eddie Knowles' oval car.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Rare Australian model lol
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

gomachv wrote:Rare Australian model lol
Australian would be upside down, not backwards..... maybe it's the mythical Hillbilly Scorpion that Thumbster is always talking about....

:shock: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

According to Kyosho America ( or so A Main have told me ) they have put restrictions on selling the scorpion anywhere but the U.S. Mexico and Canada. This is after I bought one the other week. No good me recomending one to anyone as far as I'm concerned, support your customers Kyosho $&@&@)&. I was thinking of getting another for spares as I want to race it, oh well. I can still buy them through other channels ( but I'm not sure I want to now ) I just wanted to order parts and a buggy together. My little rant.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

CHKTM wrote:According to Kyosho America ( or so A Main have told me ) they have put restrictions on selling the scorpion anywhere but the U.S. Mexico and Canada. This is after I bought one the other week. No good me recomending one to anyone as far as I'm concerned, support your customers Kyosho $&@&@)&. I was thinking of getting another for spares as I want to race it, oh well. I can still buy them through other channels ( but I'm not sure I want to now ) I just wanted to order parts and a buggy together. My little rant.
It seems to me that Kyosho America *is* supporting its customers...in North America; that being US, Canada & Mexico. Where are you from, anyway? Your profile lacks your location info.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Coelacanth wrote:
CHKTM wrote:According to Kyosho America ( or so A Main have told me ) they have put restrictions on selling the scorpion anywhere but the U.S. Mexico and Canada. This is after I bought one the other week. No good me recomending one to anyone as far as I'm concerned, support your customers Kyosho $&@&@)&. I was thinking of getting another for spares as I want to race it, oh well. I can still buy them through other channels ( but I'm not sure I want to now ) I just wanted to order parts and a buggy together. My little rant.
It seems to me that Kyosho America *is* supporting its customers...in North America; that being US, Canada & Mexico. Where are you from, anyway? Your profile lacks your location info.
It seemed it was ok for them to allow A Main to sell me one up until a few weeks ago? I just find it very odd as I can and have ordered another ( against my best judgement ) from Amazon no problem. I think they aren't doing their economy any favours by not allowing their sellers to supply OS customers, some of whom have been supporting them for years regardless of which country they are from. Sorry to be blunt but us customers from down under always seem to get the shaft, our own country never brings anything in so we are forced to buy OS. It sucks when you are denied what the rest of the world has easy access to. Out of curiosity I added an RC10 Worlds kit to my cart at A Main and see AE have no problem selling OS.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

CHKTM wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
It seemed it was ok for them to allow A Main to sell me one up until a few weeks ago? I just find it very odd as I can and have ordered another ( against my best judgement ) from Amazon no problem. I think they aren't doing their economy any favours by not allowing their sellers to supply OS customers, some of whom have been supporting them for years regardless of which country they are from. Sorry to be blunt but us customers from down under always seem to get the shaft, our own country never brings anything in so we are forced to buy OS. It sucks when you are denied what the rest of the world has easy access to. Out of curiosity I added an RC10 Worlds kit to my cart at A Main and see AE have no problem selling OS.
have you tried complaining on the kyosho facebook page ?
I can get the scorpion in malaysia..a 3rd world country !

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

CHKTM wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
Read Coelacanth's post again. Kyosho AMERICA is only supporting the regions they serve. If you're outside the US, Canada, and Mexico, you should ask your local Kyosho distributor, who likely also sells the Scorpion (since it's a world wide release).

However, local distributors usually have a clause in their selling rules prohibiting service of products not bought within the region they deserve. So if you need replacement parts because something is wrong with your kit that you bought abroad, you'll probably have to buy them instead of getting free replacements.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Read Coelacanth's post again. Kyosho AMERICA is only supporting the regions they serve. If you're outside the US, Canada, and Mexico, you should ask your local Kyosho distributor, who likely also sells the Scorpion (since it's a world wide release).

However, local distributors usually have a clause in their selling rules prohibiting service of products not bought within the region they deserve. So if you need replacement parts because something is wrong with your kit that you bought abroad, you'll probably have to buy them instead of getting free replacements.[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from however maybe you should read my post again, so why was it they could supply me with a Scorpion a few weeks ago from the U.S. Kyosho branch no problem. Alcyon the local Kyosho dealer isn't interested in supporting the Scorpion and contacting them is like extracting teeth. Again why is it they could sell me one up to the point it seems Kyosho America have run out? I wouldn't think it's because of a parts issue if I had one, I've never had issues before dealing with companies in the US if their product is faulty or incorrect. They had no problem supplying correct replacement parts if there's an issue. I just found it odd and frustrating I could buy one minute and not the next. A lot of Aussies have dealt with shops and companies in the US for a long time as it can be hard to get what we want or need in Australia. It was just a bit of a slap in the face. Thanks for your money $@&&$ you. I left a comment on their facebook page yes. I sent an e mail to Kyosho America also. Out of curiosity I googled where to buy a Scorpion in Australia and guess what it came up with, A Main lol.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Best not to try Tower either..... they'll sell you a Scorpion no worries, as long as you don't live in the following:

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla Islands, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bonaire, Bosnia Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo(Brazzaville), Congo,Democratic Republic, Costa Rica, Cote D'ivoire-Ivory Coast, Croatia, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, England, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands Malvinas, Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Holland, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua-New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn Islands, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Georgia, Reunion, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Sint Maarten, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Pierre and Miquelon, St Vincent/Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tahiti, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks & Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu-New Hebrides, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wales, Wallis & Futuna Islands, Western Samoa, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Boo-yah.

:?

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!