Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by yellowdatsun »

That Kogawa Tribute Is a real looker. I like that a LOT. It's very RC10-ish.

Not sure how well the mono-shock one would have worked. There were very few mono shock cars in the hobby world, and none raced with any seriousness, I assume there's a reason for that. I loved the way the Fox looked, but never would have attempted racing it.

Also, what's up with all the carbon hop-up parts that we can't get?? I know this kinda stuff is HUGE in Japan, but still, send some our way, we'd buy it all up in a heartbeat.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

yellowdatsun wrote:That Kogawa Tribute Is a real looker. I like that a LOT. It's very RC10-ish.
Thank you ;-)
yellowdatsun wrote:Not sure how well the mono-shock one would have worked. There were very few mono shock cars in the hobby world, and none raced with any seriousness, I assume there's a reason for that. I loved the way the Fox looked, but never would have attempted racing it.
I track tested this one this summer, and it handled very well. Much better than expected, and much better than with the 4 stock shocks. Actually a few people here ridiculed the idea, so I had not much hope. I do have a quite sturdy stabilizer/sway bar at the back, that counters the body roll that could be a problem with a setup like this. The design-flawed front end of these buggies is a much bigger issue on the track, at least when there are jumps involved..... Monoshocks were actually very popular hop-ups, when racing with the early Tamiya SRB's, so it's definitely a race proven design. Tamiya noticed that, and that's probably why Tamiya used it on the Super Champ.... But they forgot to add a stabilizer/sway bar.....
yellowdatsun wrote:Also, what's up with all the carbon hop-up parts that we can't get?? I know this kinda stuff is HUGE in Japan, but still, send some our way, we'd buy it all up in a heartbeat.
Almost none of the announced hop-ups for the re-re have surfaced in any number, and that's a shame. They probably don't want our money :-(

JimTMich

Post by JimTMich »

Does anyone have the scorpion review from rc modeler back in the day?

harvey
Approved Member

Post by harvey »

I'm probably late in seeing these, but they look helpful:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-trucks/kyosho-scorpion-2014-hex-driver-washer-set-2-kyoscw020/p477861

What wheels would one use on these?

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Countersunk screws -
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

wydraz wrote:Image
Wow...I'm intrigued. I wonder what Kyosho did to address the weak elements of the original design? Excited to see more.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

The Mohawk is intresting. What benefits would there have been in going with a mono shock over the standard setup?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Ok a bit of a necro post but it's for a re re so I feel it's justified .
I just recently bought a 2014 scorpion and appart from the front tyres I'm loving it , I also ordered the Kyosho optional rear hex wheel adapter so I could use modern wheels , anyway the adapter arrived and I test fitted them and try'd a wheel of one of my modern 2wd buggys but the wheel rim touched the spring coller ,it only just touches but it does touch .
The wheels are Team C wheels and have a standard offset as far as I know ,has anybody else had a problem ? I guess I could just fit a 1mm washer on the axle to space it out a little but I thought the idea of these adapters was that it would mean modern wheels just fit , it's a genuine Kyosho part not a Chinese off spec part .
Is there a wheel that will have the correct offset that you have used ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Kyosho Ultima RB6 wheels?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Generally speaking, most of the modern wheels I've seen have high positive offset, meaning the wheel depth is all on the inside, not the outside. It's the same with 1:1 cars these days. Vintage RC cars, and I'm sure the re-re's to some extent too, have a more central offset, or even a bit of negative offset, to give the rear wheels a more muscular "deep dish" look, like the old muscle-cars did. That's probably something that's not mentioned when it's suggested that "modern wheels will work with the hex adapter" because they're really only referring to the actual fitment of the hub onto the adapter, not the wheels & tires to the car.

You can still find some modern wheels that have less positive offset, and also use spacers as you mentioned to shim out the wheels a tad.

What wheels are you trying to fit (already asked previously)?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

You hit the nail on the head with the offset , the modern wheels I have are for Team C 2wd buggys but are very much of a standard offset as far as I can see , my friend has an RB6 so I could try his wheels to see if that have less off set , I try'd washers and they leave very little thread for the nylon of nylock wheel nuts to grip on but it's doable. The other thing is even with the washers to fit them the width of the rear is narrowed a lot . I'll have a look at the RB6 wheels or try and find some wheels with less offset , thanks for the advice , luckily the rear tyres are pretty good anyway so it's not a big deal for now.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 pm You hit the nail on the head with the offset , the modern wheels I have are for Team C 2wd buggys but are very much of a standard offset as far as I can see , my friend has an RB6 so I could try his wheels to see if that have less off set , I try'd washers and they leave very little thread for the nylon of nylock wheel nuts to grip on but it's doable. The other thing is even with the washers to fit them the width of the rear is narrowed a lot . I'll have a look at the RB6 wheels or try and find some wheels with less offset , thanks for the advice , luckily the rear tyres are pretty good anyway so it's not a big deal for now.
You could also look at Kyosho's other wheels for 1/10 buggies (ZX-5, ZX-6), they have different offsets available due to changes in the suspension geometry over the years.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

TomEG wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 am These are "boring", but they fit the Scorpion offset.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRA7171-2-2-Dished-Wheels-White-2-1-16-E-Revo-/292001428843
Thanks they look perfect , I'll get them elsewhere though $4.50 for the wheels $38.80 delivery to UK :shock: