Project TLRampage

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Project TLRampage

Post by Coelacanth »

**UPDATE: Mar. 22, 2020**

I've decided on "Project TLRampage" to name this project, as it really has no Optima heritage, but is rather a bastardchild fusion of a Losi TLR 22 and a Kyosho Rampage Nitro chassis. I hope it's a catchy enough name.
8)

I wasn't sure what would pique my interest in a new car build...I figured I'd done all that I wanted to do with Optimas. I certainly don't want to build anything remotely resembling another Optima! I was toying with the idea of building a 3-wheeler trike of some sort but just couldn't wrap my mind around how to get a front suspension that worked half-decent, and I know that even with the best suspension I could come up with, the thing would still be prone to roll-overs (as all trikes are). It still might've been fun to drive but certainly wouldn't have been stable.

Well, as it was with OptiMutt, which started out as a vision using some sweet JPS wheels I gathered, I might have come up with something that's rather unique, and it started when I received a pair of really cool aluminum wheels of unknown make/model. They're 3.2" diameter but unlike most monster truck wheels, they're only 2" wide. I sourced a set of low-profile spike tires to fit these wheels, those would work out great for a strange-looking offroad dirt dragster or something. The rear track would actually be narrower than you'd expect as the wheels are all positive offset, so they wouldn't stick out too much more than stock Optima wheels.
Wheels1.JPG
For the front wheels, these Duratrax aluminum wheels that I stripped off the fugly gold anodizing and polished up should match quite nicely, with the 8-hole pattern. I'll drill-press the tapered holes to accept flanged bearings for 5mm axles. I'm liking the Tamiya Hotshot-style tires, they fit these wheels perfectly...sadly, I only have a single tire. :? Anyway, they're all over eBay so that shouldn't be a problem.

The car would look stupid if it was setup on a 1:10-scale chassis, so the idea is to stretch out the front end to at least a 1:8 chassis length, with a kick-up extension plate. I intend to mount the battery longitudinally and put all the weight towards the rear wheels so a powerful motor and gearing for torque will produce wheelies.

Here are some pics of the ghost of an idea...I'm thinking maybe starting with an Optima Mid chassis plate and chopping it & extending it. I have no idea what might work for a badass buggy body. I'm thinking to keep things maintenance-free, I'll use an Optima Mid gear diff, and it'll be RWD only, like OptiMutt. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas that might help get this car further along the design stage? I'm sure some of you guys have built custom extended chassis cars.

The big rear wheels have rusty black steel hex-head bolts in them for realism. At least I can say the manufacturer might be American because those hex bolts are SAE threads, not Metric. I plan to replace them with stainless steel or colored alloy hex bolts to spice up the looks, after polishing the wheels. The wheels look awesome, I just have to remove a bit of tire/glue residue and they'll polish up beautifully, there's no damage whatsoever to the wheels. Great buy for only $33 shipped!
Wheels2.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Re: OptiWTF - Help with ideas on new project

Post by mugenbulldog »

Considering the other news today; modify a rere scorpion to 4wd with optima parts

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

mugenbulldog wrote:Considering the other news today; modify a rere scorpion to 4wd with optima parts
:lol: I've actually got a "Scorptima" about half built. Need to cut the final round of metal parts out and do the final assembly.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

If you need inspiration, have access to machining tools and some spare time and money, you should visit this: http://www.vintage-rc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19590&sid=546d098951e1a5c1dc54d556e1b08ceb (in French but pics speak fro themselves...). A true work of art!

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

If it turns out to be a sand/dirt dragster and you're not worried about the turning circle you could run a locked diff.

As for the body maybe something like a stretched Tamiya Wild One?
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm toying with the idea of a partial body/cage look. I'm watching some stuff on eBay like a Traxxas funny car rollcage and a couple unusual bodies. I might cut up whatever body I go with to fit around a cage of some sort, like the original Ultima or Scorpion, but I don't want it to look familiar. Anybody have suggestions for a hybrid body/cage theme that's affordable? I can't afford one of those BCD steel cages; besides, those are for a 1:10 chassis and I wouldn't want to chop one up to extend the wheelbase.

1300GT's suggestion of a stretched Wild One is kind of where I'm going with this. Thanks!

I briefly considered a 3-wheeler chassis like the one Asso_man linked, but that wouldn't jump for crap. Considering the wheel size discrepancy, it can't be 4WD. :mrgreen: I want it to be a beast with enough torque to pull wheelies, and perform satisfactorily offroad. I want it to look different from any truggy or buggy out there that you see everyday, so when I unleash it, people will go "WTF is that?!" :twisted:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

j-sou wrote:
mugenbulldog wrote:Considering the other news today; modify a rere scorpion to 4wd with optima parts
:lol: I've actually got a "Scorptima" about half built. Need to cut the final round of metal parts out and do the final assembly.
I'm looking forward to seeing that! 8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks like I found my chassis already. Made an offer on this for $26, the seller accepted. Should be easy to extend the front end as it's flat; the nose extension will include a kick-up. Not sure how that'll pan out yet; what front bulkhead & suspension I'll use, but I have a small collection of aluminum arms, front hubs & carriers...most of it for HSP cars, but I should be able to make something work. The LWB belt is a bonus, though I won't have a use for it.

Hopefully these tires will fit the rear wheels:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331150673421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Attachments
GraphiteChassis1a.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

This will be a nice thread to follow Marc :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

I was kind of hoping this would be a trike. You could drive from the front two large wheels and one center rear trailing wheel.

I guess we will have to wait and see how your other idea turns out. :wink:
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

SFC K wrote:I was kind of hoping this would be a trike. You could drive from the front two large wheels and one center rear trailing wheel.
Yeah, a trike driven from 2 front wheels would've been a lot easier to build than a typical trike with 1 wheel, suspension and steering all up front--that would've been a lot more tricky to build and make it work properly. The problem is a three-wheeler driven from 2 front wheels wouldn't handle for crap in offroad/jumping conditions. :?

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

LOL, the jumps would get a little tricky, especially if it landed on the rear wheel first. I was just throwing out the idea. Keep going with what you got.

Looking forward to seeing more. :D
Jeff

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

When the seller first listed that chassis, he had a bunch of mid parts probably from the same car. Lots of good used stuff in sets,, like steering assembly, front gearbox with guts....It was a pretty good part out.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

rccars4sal wrote:When the seller first listed that chassis, he had a bunch of mid parts probably from the same car. Lots of good used stuff in sets,, like steering assembly, front gearbox with guts....It was a pretty good part out.
That's right, I sent messages to him and we worked out a package deal with some of his other parts for $20 extra. 8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Early front end mockup

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's what I put together so far for the front end, using random leftovers that didn't make it onto my previous builds. I want this beast to have a wider-than-normal front track because the overall wheelbase will be quite a bit longer than a typical 1:10 buggy, and for the steering to be effective. The arms are HPI Nitro MT2 arms, the C-carriers are Kyosho Ultima SC/RB5 units from ST Racing, and the steering blocks are some upgrade parts for a Tamiya...can't remember much more than that. The steering parts were initially planned for the OptiMutt car, but I found something that worked better for that, so these were just lying around.

I'll drill out the Duratrax rear wheels to accept the flanged bearings on the axles. Those wheels are kind of an odd width; too narrow for typical rear tires, but should be perfect as front wheels & tires for a bigger-than-1:10-scale chassis. I'll probably go with the Tamiya Hotshot-style tires because they're bigger diameter and look more "meaty" on the wheels.
FrontEnd_Mockup.JPG