kyosho slingshot build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

kyosho slingshot build

Post by Kyoshojoe »

So I got a great deal off ebay, won a slingshot chassis and suspension for 10$ plus shipping and the seller threw in the raider/rampage hybrid free. I was very surprised and happy.

I have had a parted out slingshot for some time but the chassis was pretty badly hacked so I never got around to building it, despite having all the parts. I wanted to build a runner so I was not willing to spend a fortune on new parts so I waited until a good deal came up on ebay and my patience paid off.

As with most of my builds I bought a body from my LHS, a mccallister street stock camaro body and put it on a shelf till I had a chassis for it. Originally I was going to put it on an optima mid but decided on a slingshot.

Not much to say about the build. All the parts were stripped cleaned and restored and put together by the manual which I found posted on another thread on this forum.

I will post more pics when I get the body painted and electronics installed

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: kyosho slingshot build

Post by highwayracer »

Congrats!!! I was wondering who won that auction. I was watching those 2 auctions and I was going to drop a bid at the last second...but I really didn't need any more project cars. The HPIs are a very nice upgrade.

Glad to see it went to a member of the board.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

So Ive got the electronics installed and the body painted.

I laid the electronics out so its more of a balanced arrangement rather than left turn biased as i will mainly run this onroad and in parking lots. I went with a vintage set up using a futaba 75mhz rx and a tekin TSC411-p2 speed control hooked up to a 19x1 24 degree Chameleon epic motor. Originally I was going to use a Kyosho Super stock motor but the comm is in need of some major cleaning. I still have to build a battery pack and devise a hold down system and then I can tune the car and have fun.

The mccalister bodies are thin and have poorly finished molds with lots of crooked lines and bubbles, which makes it very hard to make stripes look right. If you look at the one pick the car looks like it has a broken nose but its not too bad. The upside is that the bodies are less expensive and lighter than say a proline body. Im very pleased with the results and being a runner im less concerned with perfect body lines.

I used Custom works 6214 tires on vintage ultima corvette rims. It was a nice surprise to find tires in my LHS that were 1.9inch, and priced at $13.00 a pair, I couldn't go wrong. Im still trying to decide on whether to paint the rims in an aluminum color or try and dye them. Any feedback on whether usig rit dye will work on old kyosho rims or not would be appreciated.

I have to give my LHS props for being so involved in RC cars and maintaining a good stock of parts and accessories or getting what you need fast. I only wish they had Kyosho. If your ever in Sarasota, Florida look up and stop in to Gator Hobbies and say hi. Its not a big store but they do a good job of keeping up with the trends and being a father and son shop they give alot back to the community. One example is how they work with one of our elementary schools to once a year put on a rocket exhibition where the 5th graders are allowed to build a model rocket and launch from the field while the whole school watches. they give 25% off all rockets and accessories, basically cost, and take time away from their schedule to marshall and set up the rockets for launch.

A little off topic but thought it would be a good example of why peeps should spend a little more and support their local businesses rather than save a few dollars shopping online. In the end the benifit of having a place to get advice, being able to see items first hand and getting parts same day is worth a little extra cheese to me and without them this build would have been a bit harder and taken far longer.

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

Cool to see one of these on the street, and not set up for an oval.

I am the guy who you recently bought another one from on Ebay, btw.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Thanks, I love it and plan on setting it up with a mustang body, should be alot of fun to race the classic rivalry. Ill post it on this thread as it comes along. soo many projects and soo little time, plus that thing called work sure gets in the way. I do sell some of the cars I restore but these will be run and cherished.

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

Cool, I look forward to seeing it. I am surprised you can still get bodies which fit that car. I thought it was a lot larger, or at least wider, than modern touring cars and that there wouldn't be a reason for anyone to produce a body with those proportions anymore.

I wanted to tell you I found the original Chevy Lumina box at my parents house. If you are interested in it, PM me. You can have it for the price of shipping. I didn't purposefully hold it back from the auction; I thought it had been thrown away.

It will take a while for me to get it though.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

that would be awesome, Take your time and send me a pm and I will send you the money via pay pal.

I found the mccallister bodies work as I think they are the same ones they used since the 80's. The tourng car bodies dont work so well but mccallister's are for oval cars. The slingshot is a bit longer so the wheel wells have to be carefully trimmed but width wise its a perfect fit.

Thanks a bunch, Ill post the link

http://www.mcallisterracing.com

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Thought I would update this thread as I have recently finished restoring a lumina version of the slingshot. Below are pics of the resto, just waiting for a body and electronics.

Some close-ups

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

Looks awesome!!

Whiteangel

Post by Whiteangel »

Good evening, I wanted to know if a person recognize the body of this corvette 69 and brand :?:

thanks and regards.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

you might be better posting in the What is it thread.