Restoring my first R/C - 1989 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Antonov

Re: Restoring my first R/C - 1987 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Post by Antonov »

I am like you, you know: family takes time and money. So dont think too much and go the easy way on both. Really. I knew nothing a month ago of all you mention and in no time, I got to have three Rockies running. Focus on having yours done, keeping the cost as low as possible.

Motor: what use will you get out of it, which kind of field / roads ? I would start with a 27T... that's fast enough for a start ! Or just look at the genuine spec. of the original engine and buy a similar one (24T probably). Again: it will not make SUCH a difference. But the faster you take, the more difficult it will be to handle for "hobby" drive on the weekends. I tried 24T, then 35T and finally got 55T for my kids. The three were all good enough. Even for me, the 35T was very fast. Dont bother too much for what it costs.
http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-hackmoto-brushed-motor-p-66168.html?cPath=1560_948
I got a 35T and a 55T of that brand and they are all good. Reviews also are very positive.

Brushed of course, that's just what you need, forget about all that fancy new stuffs which take our cars faaaar too fast for us.

ESC: take the "1060" I gave you the ref. Read some comments reviews on it, all people are claiming it is one of the best value for money. It has all you need. The dragbreak is also nice since if you push the trigger at full speed, it will NOT block the gearing in panic-reverse mode (like in the old days) but slow down to zero instead. Only on a second push, the car will reverse, slowly. It is waterproof. It is 60A which is enough for your needs. Go for it. http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=358&filter_attr=0

Radio: buy an entry level one, including the "training mode" which allows to cut down by 50% the top speed. Otherwise, they are all the same and cots not much while giving very good fun. Receivers are just so small now... and easy to bind, if not yet factory done.

Battery: take a 2000 NiMh battery pack. Much faster to charge than the fancy 5300 they sell theses days... unless you want to drive for hours. Once you get used to your 2000, you will decide if you buy a second one and which one. Forget about LIPO stuff, expensive and a pain for the hobby men, risk of explosion, overcharge aso. Go the easy way.

ONCE you get the car back on the road... enjoy it when you find the time. And then, you will start thinking of improving this or that... but what will matter is that the car will be running !

:) Hope you will make it. Don't think to much if the idea is to have the car running soon.

I look forward to reading from you.
Rocky 4WD Kyosho (x3) :lol:

Antonov

Re: Noobie: Restoring my first R/C - 1987 Kyosho Turbo Ulti

Post by Antonov »

oOps duplicate post...

Antonov

Re: Noobie: Restoring my first R/C - 1987 Kyosho Turbo Ulti

Post by Antonov »

[quote="Antonov"]- Radio: Spektrum dx2e - $59
- Receiver: Spektrum SR201 - $Included with radio

>>>>> check on AliExpress, you find entry levels stuffs I mentioned above for less than 30$.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-AUSTAR-AX5S-2-4G-3CH-AFHS-Radio-Remote-Control-Transmitter-with-Receiver-for-RC-Car/32612624720.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.l8TrG6&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_3_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_3&btsid=1bc6f6cf-b0bf-49f7-8c7a-7f0d173c9db2

- Speed Control: XP SC700-BL Sensorless Brushless ESC - $142.99

>>>>>> Hobbywing as described above: 20$
http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/quicrun-brushed-system

- Motor: Reedy 540-SL 3300kV Brushless Motor - $Included with speed control kit

>>>>> Brushed 27T, less than 15$
http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-hackmoto-brushed-motor-p-66168.html?cPath=1560_948

- Servo: Associated XP DS1505MG Digital Metal Gear Servo - $44.99

>>>>> you can also save with a good entry level stuff which will do the job fine.

- Battery: Duratrax Onyx LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25C Hard Case Deans - $44.99

>>>>>> Forget that expensive stuffs and go for NiMh, buy one or two cheap ones (avoid Chinese cheapest) 2000mAh and you will have flexibitly and safety. And money remaining in your pocket. Total for one: 15$: check this link, it is even a BRANDED one !

https://amzn.com/B002BHXYSK

- Charger: Duratrax Onyx 235 AC/DC Advanced Charger - $89.99

>>>>> Buy a good TeamOrion 405 : reliable and easy to use. I touch them at less than 40$ !!!!! Why paying more ?
http://www.teamorion.com/advantage-one-405-ac-dc-charger-us-version-fr-2-3.html

Electronics total cost: $382.95

>>>>> Save 60% and pay "only" 150$ to have your car back in service. Why paying so much for running so few (you said you have not too much free time) ?

:P

More details, I keep a budget right here for poersonnal use... but if it can help, check it !
https://kyoshorocky4wd.wordpress.com/archive-section/archive3-budget-tracking/

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Good helpful advice by Antonov, there. I considered answering that "What all do I need?" question, but it's such a loaded question with many different ways to go about it. To do a proper modernization of all your electronics, you really need to go LiPo, brushless, digital, 2.4 GHz. I was in the same situation and did the move piecemeal, because I was on a budget, but at the end I was all there anyway.

-Motor: Brushless; 11.5T to 13.5T should be plenty. I would prefer to stick to a combo from a "known" brand, not some re-stickered unknown clone. They may look similar, but you have no idea what's inside, or how sloppily they were manufactured. People tend to believe the same factory makes the brands that makes the clones, but who actually knows the truth? Until you buy both and disassemble them and inspect them closely, you can't say you know. Hobbywing, EZRun, SpeedPassion, Tacon, Leopard Toro and others all offer ESC & motor & program card combo packages starting at around $60. I have this combo in 12T form in my OptiMutt car and it's all the power I can handle, super-smooth, and looks good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-LEOPARD-60A-ESC-12T-3300KV-Brushless-Motor-1-10-Car-Combo-w-program-card-/301653154070

They also offer 9T and 13T combos for about the same price. 9T, IMO, is too much power for a vintage car unless you've done a lot to bulletproof it.

-Batteries: 2S LiPo, hardcase, I wouldn't go less than 3600 mAh so that your run-time is nice and long. Don't worry about the C rating; honestly, the slight difference between a 25C and 40C battery isn't going to be noticeable. People argue about it endlessly but they're hoity-toity racers, not like the majority of us restorers who just want to have a little fun. Batteries can be had for $25 - $35 each.

-Radio: For the budget-minded, the FlySky GT3B and its successors have all the functionality you need. $40. Other radios with better "feel" can be had for under $80. You'll need to buy servos separately; metal-gear digital servos that will do the job are under $20 each.

-Charger: Lots of units will charge NiCad, NiMH, LiPo batteries, do balancing, storage charging, etc. like the iMax B6AC (the AC means it comes with a cable to plug into an outlet); decent units can be had for under $60.

If you go with the aforementioned gear and 2 batteries, it should run you in the neighborhood of $250 plus shipping (many places have free shipping, at least within the USA, like http://www.hobbypartz.com).
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Antonov

Post by Antonov »

Coelacanth wrote:Good helpful advice by Antonov, there. I considered answering that "What all do I need?" question, but it's such a loaded question with many different ways to go about it. To do a proper modernization of all your electronics, you really need to go LiPo, brushless, digital, 2.4 GHz. I was in the same situation and did the move piecemeal, because I was on a budget, but at the end I was all there anyway.
Hello Coelacanth, good helpful review you also do. You have much more experience than I have :) and I think our friend has now a full range overview of what can be purchased, from the cheap side (mine) to yours which is reasonable priced but more up to date.

You mentioned that this is hard to answer cause there is too much choices and ways, but his question was exactly that he was lost in that space. So with our suggestions, he can easily hit a button and get what he needs, without too much thinking. I trust it does answer all his questions by now.

On your last point: just to explain why I went for the cheap low profile options and have no intention for future upgrade.
As you maybe read, I made a revival of my old Rocky and just wanted it to be back on the road. I see it like in the 80's the performance, battery autonomy, radio range etc. were all at a level than even the cheapest options today easily beat : cheap motors are performing almost better than the expensive ones at that time, and you have an outstanding panel of choice, batteries are now NiMh (not NiCad) and can have huge playing time (were average 2000, today 4000 to 5000) which is largely exceeding the original motor spec. in term of running time ! Last, the radio sets, even the cheaper, are just great with many options and a playing distance range that was not there 30 years ago.
What I mean is that, to my view and humble opinion, all electronics and motors today out-perform all periods' criteria. So that is why I was happy to start with that. In addition, the Rocky is a rare beast and I want to avoid to eat up the gearing with two powerful LiPo, brushless things that will bring more bumps and hits (under a form called accidents ), but might be too much for my old beasts. I don't know how RedAggie sees this revival of his old RC so that's why I gave here my opinion, so he can chose what he thinks his the best approach.

In all case, we cant wait to see all that installed and running ! :twisted:

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Well, I recall from when I was oh..seven(?) that this thing was FAST. I may come to find out it's much more manageable at an older age, but honestly - I just want to get it back on the road with modern versions of the original stuff (meaning the cheap options). I think the NiMh will be find and I don't need the fancy motor with settings and such. We'll see as I go down this path, but I'm going to look into it more.

It looks like I can get a lot of this on Amazon, which would be great. I can easily send it back if it doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/FlySky-GT-3C-2-4GHz-Controller-Orange/dp/B00FS2U83O/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1474563086&sr=8-3&keywords=flysky+gt3c&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-HOBBYWING-QuicRun-1060-Brushed/dp/B01LZHBJ85/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1474563141&sr=1-2&keywords=HobbyWing+QUICRUN+brushed+esc&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-15-Turn-Brushed-Motor/dp/B009XC1J8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1474563190&sr=1-2&keywords=brushed+motor

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2919-6-Cell-1800mAh-Battery/dp/B002BHXYSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1474563365&sr=1-1&keywords=7.2v+6-cell

Total before the servo - $92.12

I think I'm good with all this stuff! Thanks already guys. What about the steering servo? What ratio and stuff like that do I need?

Antonov

Post by Antonov »

Hello, I must admit I am not skilled to help you on a servo. You could also chose to take your baby for a small ride and... visit your local shop just to buy a servo ? :mrgreen: You would get the good advices from the shop and would be sure to have all you need (little screws, save servo if any, aso) ?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I just bought two of these from hobby king:
TrackStar TS-D99X Digital 1/10 Scale Touring, Drift/Buggy Steering Servo 10kg / 0.08sec / 45g

they were about 20 bucks each for my kids two rc10's. I tried one so far and its pretty strong and quick and quiet. it says digital, I am using it with a tower 2.4Ghz radio, which is a low cost, low frills radio set.

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Well, I got out the box of parts today and cleaned and re-assembled the car with the items I plan on keeping. It has no electronics now, but I think I'm at a point where I can start adding stuff back.

I'm missing this little bushing on the top of the steering arm below the radio plate:

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Kyoshojoe in an earlier post mentioned the radio plate being plastic and I should upgrade to the fiberglass one, but mine looks like it is fiberglass and not plastic. I can see the fiber pattern in the top and the rough sides with hints of fibers along the edges. So I'm good??

EDIT: It looks like I have this one:

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

I saw this one on eBay - is mine a 1987 or how can I identify the year? I think it was 1987, but I'm thinking I based that on the key chain that it came with. 1989 makes a bit more since because I would have been a touch older (9).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kyosho-TURBO-ULTIMA-2WD-Off-Road-Buggy-ESC-BEC-RECEIVER-CH68-TWISTER-20X-/291864248488?hash=item43f47700a8:g:-50AAOSwOdpXy0tW

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

And, WOW - $500???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1-10-Vintage-KYOSHO-TURBO-ULTIMA-/291885220961?hash=item43f5b70461:g:cpMAAOSwzaJX5Ssb

Mine is JUST like this one - I have that keychain too. but I don't have the sway bars...Were those an option or did I take them off somewhere along the line when I was a kid?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Yeah, You´re good on the Radio plate/ top deck.
Joe´s eyes aren´t what they used to be :mrgreen:

To my knowledge, the Turbo was released in 1989.
Gone fishing

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Re: Restoring my first R/C - 1989 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Post by RedAggie03 »

I think I'm ok on the electronics now...I spent all day reading about them and picking out what I want.

The big ISSUE I have right now is wheels/tires. Mine are flat spotted from sitting on the shelf and bald.

I know the rear is pretty easy since it's 12mm hex, but the front axle being 4mm seems like I'll struggle to find new wheels for it.

So would you recommend swapping out the axle to a 5mm, hex swap (somehow?), or do a Ultima RB5 front end swap? I'm going to need help here....

I want to run my car, so I want to be able to find wheels and tires easily.

Thanks!

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Restoring my first R/C - 1989 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Post by DennisM »

Just buy some 4x10 or 4x11 bearings for the front. That would give You enough options for the front.

To my knowledge - the Turbo was released in 1989
Gone fishing