Restoring my first R/C - 1989 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Restoring my first R/C - 1989 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Post by RedAggie03 »

I got this car when I was about 7 years old. I took good care of it, but it was run...a lot. So it's pretty scratched up and worn, but not really broken. I need a new UM-1 gear is about all I think, but I'm going to replace all of the electronics with modern stuff first. Looking forward to meeting y'all and learning about how to mod and restore my childhood memories of this car.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Noobie: Restoring my first R/C - 1987 Kyosho Turbo Ulti

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks like a good candidate for a resto...doesn't need much more than a freshen-up, from the looks of it. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Ok, I'm starting to pick my gear - it's been a while, so I'd take some advice if y'all have it. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Radio: Spektrum dx2e - $59
(http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM2322)
- Receiver: Spektrum SR201 - $Included with radio
- Speed Control: XP SC700-BL Sensorless Brushless ESC - $142.99
(http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCACB&P=ML)
- Motor: Reedy 540-SL 3300kV Brushless Motor - $Included with speed control kit
(http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBVYT&P=V)
- Servo: Associated XP DS1505MG Digital Metal Gear Servo - $44.99
(http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDPAG)
- Battery: Duratrax Onyx LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25C Hard Case Deans - $44.99
(http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBAKN)
- Charger: Duratrax Onyx 235 AC/DC Advanced Charger - $89.99
(http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAGUG&P=0)

Electronics total cost: $382.95

eek...

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Oh, this is going to be fun. Looks like you need some new tires. Unfortunately, no one makes tires that fit those rims anymore. There are some good solutions here in the forum if you search. I restored my Turbo...wow, over 10 years ago. Damn, has it been that long?

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

RichieRich wrote:Oh, this is going to be fun. Looks like you need some new tires. Unfortunately, no one makes tires that fit those rims anymore.
should be 2", same as Hotshot oval block or Supershot/Avante pin spike rears. Both been re-re'd by T.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The losi 2.0 step pins are also around still

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSA7378S
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks like some nice electrics planned for that Ultima. I might think the LiPo you chose won't fit the Ultima's battery holders, though...hard-case LiPos are a bit wider and the edges are squared off, not rounded like vintage batteries were. Here's what I used for my Optimas, it has rounded edges like the old-school batteries did...but even then, I had to whittle down the battery holders a bit to get the battery to fit snugly.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-2s1p-hardcase-direct.html

By the way, HobbyPartz.com has exact measurements of each Gens Ace battery so you can make sure what you buy will fit what you got.

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

By the way: I just noticed your "eek" comment regarding new electronics pricing; you can do a lot better than that, if you're not planning on being a serious racer. EZRun motor/ESC/program card combos are a good choice for everyday runners at about half the price.

Here's a 13T/35A ESC combo that would be worth considering:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HOBBYWING-ezrun-RC-sport-car-13T-brushless-motor-35A-ESC-3in1-combo-TRUCK-BUGGY-/171303976564?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e2833e74

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I would be careful with the brushless set up and consider a less powerful combo. The drivetrain in the ultima is old school plastic and does not have a slipper setup, plus the mid /spur gear is notorius for chipping teeth on the second stage. it is a pretty light car so you dont need alot of power anyways, also the dog bones can snap if you have a lot of torque and traction. Parts are available but not cheap.

The ability to use a programmer verse a program button and count beeps is very nice and saves on headaces trying to set up the esc.

you might have to file the chassis to fit a lipo but compared to an optima it should be asier as the ultima doesn't use formed mounting ears but rather has tabs integrated into the top deck that are flat. Honestly a nimh battery should work fine and the handling may benifit from the added weight. I run a 6 cell nimh saddle on my lazer zx-5 fs on a novak gtb and love it. yes lipos are better but the nimh works fine and 10 times better than nicd.

custom works makes dirt oval tires that fit stock 1.9 rims but best bet would be to just get some 12mm hex new school rim and tires imo

Another thing to note is the platinum shocks have tiny o-rings in the shaft to allow adjustable dampening by turning the spring cups. These tend to leak if disturbed after years of hibernation. 3-racing makes a nice set of shocks for the lazer zx-5 that should work if you were going to upgrade. probably would cost the same as rebuilding the platinums.

You might want to consider upgrading the radio plate as well. jg made a fiberglass replacement that is worlds stronger than the original plastic. The Ultima was very prone to front end damage so a good bumper is also a must.

looking forward to seeing what you do. Its a great looking car so good luck and most important of all, have fun.

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Well, I'm back...

I'm sorry to report that the build has gone nowhere. I completely disassembled the car to inspect, inventory, and plan the build - then I had a child. Needless to say it's in a box.

Is there anyone on here that would restore the car for me at a reasonable rate with nimh weekend runner? RichieRich? Want to do another one? Mine is complete other than the stripped gear and likely dry rotted rubber.

I don't want to throw this in the trash, but I'm afraid it's just going to sit there.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Your going to need that distraction between baby sitting, work, diaper changes..... I would just set it up somewhere that it can be fiddled with occasionally,, and keep working on it.

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

I think what I'm really struggling with is the electronics. I don't want to go back completely old school original, but I also do not want to spend a TON of money going with the latest and greatest. Can someone help me with recommendations or maybe has someone done a similar build?

As much as I'd like to go Lipo, I think I should find a nimh that fits easily into the car and is more cost effective.

Would this be a good choice? Are the specs correct? http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-7-2v-nimh-double-stick.html

Is it better to build based off of the engine or electronics or battery? I assume everything has to work together nicely...

I assume I'll be using my stock "transmission"? I'll just bolt a new motor up to the motor plate, are the bolt patterns standard?

I've just got a ton of questions basically...

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Post by RedAggie03 »

Also, I just noticed that it looks like the Released Kyosho Optima has the same transmission cover as mine, is that true? Does that help me in any way? That would be cool if I could modernize it.

Also, I see tons of Optimas, but not many people talk about the Turbo Ultima....Was it not as popular?

Antonov

Post by Antonov »

RedAggie03 wrote:I think what I'm really struggling with is the electronics. I don't want to go back completely old school original, but I also do not want to spend a TON of money going with the latest and greatest. Can someone help me with recommendations or maybe has someone done a similar build?
Hello, I am pretty new on the forum and just got my old Rocky 4WD Kyosho back on the road. I was surprised how cheap you can buy great products these days so I am surprised you find it expensive.

As mentioned above, restoring it to play around would it be good enough since it looks like you wont have time to go racing it for good. Means that you can select cheap entry level products.

ESC brushed from Hobbywing is less than 20 $
Radio full set (handgear and receiver) can be touched for less than 30$ !!!!
Batteries NiMh start at 15$...
Chargers less than 20$...

All in all you need about 80 $ of electronic to put it back on the road. Well. Ok... maybe you are right it is not exactly CHEAP once you add up. But I think we can consider ourselves lucky that these products are so cheap.

Check Ebay or AliExpress... read comments on the web for each reference (they ALL have reviews somewhere) and... chose the best price/value items !

Keep it simple :) To install new electronis, motor, radio, you need 2h max for a non trained hobby guy like you and me. You can make it ! :)
Rocky 4WD Kyosho (x3) :lol:

RedAggie03
Approved Member

Re: Restoring my first R/C - 1987 Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Post by RedAggie03 »

I'm trying, but I'm still not getting the confidence that I know what I should be ordering.

How many turn motor do I want?

Brushed vs. Brushless?

I looked at Hobbywing like suggested, but

Sensor vs sensorless?

What are these program card things???

Sorry, I just don't know what I'm done here guys.