kyosho lazer main shafts and ZX running experiment.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

kyosho lazer main shafts and ZX running experiment.

Post by rccars4sal »

Im building lazer center shafts,, so as to count the spare parts and try to scab together another clutch for a yokomo....

Left to rignt: RW racing locked setup, ZXR minus friction pads, ZX center ball diff clutch,,, and the tasty little hyper clutch at far right.

Spur on the zxr minus pads is some kind of aftermarket lazer specific 64 pitch.

If anybody can explain the theory behind the zx center diff unit, please go ahead. My tomy intruder has a similar set up, but using gears,, and all it does is allow differential speed action between front and rear,, its no clutch at all,, and actually limits rear end power.... Not sure why that is an intended design trait.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Re: kyosho lazer zx zxr zxrr centr layshaft assemblies

Post by Welshy40 »

How are you going to fit into a yokomo?

Third diff is the spur section and original build has a one way section behind the spur going into the gearbox which with the complete build gives a 60/40 drive train. It was hard to set up properly. On dirt and low grip its superb as it works for that environment but high grip its lacking so most people bought the reverse one way to give it a 50/50 drive train.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

mid diff was in the era of Yankee 1/8 buggy reigning as world champ in the 1/8 arena. Yankee did very well with 3 diff design and that sort of rub off to the 1/10 buggies. the idea is to split the drive/torque to the wheel, probably work best with tons of HP and low grip track. In 1/10 it was relatively under power and did not do much....

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Ive got a mostly proper zx built now, and its going to be a runner. I only ever ran my intruder mildly so never did get to see how and if the center diff affected performance. Hoping to run this lazer zx harder and see just how the center diff handles. Should be in run mode within a couple days.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Couple of observations about the zx center diff unit. Its no wonder the hot mod was to insert slipper pads. The center diff will not handle alot of power. My running set up is a k power atom smasher 12 double, novak t4, and regular saddle pack lipo batteries. Stock spur, 16 tooth pinion. Nothing gets hot. The center diff slipped alot apparently, and ended up tightening itself so that the rear drive was very very stiff. That made the system transfer more power to the front, causing massive front wheel spin. Or perhaps it was the massive front wheel spin that caused all this? Not sure. From the get go it had alot of front spin. So, in less than 1 full packs time, its dead, half torn apart, and awaiting transplant of the zxr slipper set up.

Running conditions: Asphalt, 2.2 wheels with dirt hawg tires. So, the rear end got massive traction on acceleration, and the front end lifted slightly and spun, especially in corners. Perhaps in dirt things might even out? No matter,, Im ditching the zx center diff! That was fun, and informative to run it though.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: kyosho lazer main shafts and ZX running experiment.

Post by rccars4sal »

Update: I went to replace the zx center clutch and found that none of my main shaft assemblies would fit and work. HMMM so Apart comes the entire la33 assembly. It turns out I had 2 of the pully shoulders stuffed into the rear drive section, causing a mis alignment, melted plastic, and in consistent center diff action. So, back together it goes, correctly this time. Other changes. Smaller diameter wheels (2.0) and smaller tires imex road dogs, 17t pinion, slightly loosen rear diff, fine tune camber and sag for street running, add a schotky to the motor for better brakes,,, and WALA! Works much better now. Im still not sold on the merits of the center diff, but at least I have a solid platform to tune with now.

The center diff adjustment has held, and the slippy slidey tires seem to keep the front and rear a bit better balanced. Im hoping to switch to turn buckles and zx5 ball cups and studs on the camber links. That, and a body,, and I think we have another long term runner!

Going to try and scrounge up an 18t pinion in .04 module (metric 40 pitch?) also. Ive also got another la33 assembly completed with the hyper clutch, and it will likely go into more of a zxr based buggy tired set up.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Welshy, I had all my clutch parts in one box, so was not sure what went to what. Turns out I have an sst clutch, and some parts for yokomo, and some b2 clutch plates. I think I can press a steel pully onto one of the clutch back plates for the yokomo rear drive. Then its just a matter of making a shaft, and fitting the front drive pully,, which I have a small pile of.... TIME.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

It was the pulley section behind the slipper plate that i was after.

Sounds interesting on the Yok bits.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

I want an RW racing locked setup!!

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Welshy, Ive got no spares for the hyper clutch at all. Only the one complete unit. It was bought years ago before they cost 96 USD,,, think I paid about 60 for it... I still think a quasi hyper clutch could be made using the zxr back piece, and then a b2 or SST top piece.Would take a small bit of machining, but with the parts in hand, I think its possible.

Delorean, I never ran the locked set up. It was used for a display model. Its interesting. The gear mount, pully mount area, and the entire shaft are machined in 1 piece. The shaft is hollow in back to accept a screw to hold the front drive unit in place. Its also hollow in front,, looks like a pocket for a bearing. Funny that it uses slotted head type screws to hold the gear on. Ive never actually seen purposely used on a mtric rc car slot head screws! Always they are philips, hex head, allen head. Those 3 gear screws pictured are actually what came in the package. I just find that interesting. Makes it all the more cool and different here in the USA.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Delorean - If you want a locked layshaft then use the Mk1 ZXR or Hyper clutch with the one way tightend up but youll need thread lock on the screw thread of the one way side to stop it coming loose. That way it will be permanent 4wd.

rccars4sal - dont worry, it was just on the off chance you did. I have a few design ideas that I would like to fulfill within the next couple of years. Thanks anyway :D

Sponser links below

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Just curious here, what was so special about the hyper clutch?

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

It was just a modern slipper, with the spur mounted to the outer plate, so spurs could be changed without changing slipper setting. Its pretty much like a b3 or YTCS. Im currently still running the zx center ball diff, 10.5 turn brushless, lipo, and dirt hawgs in the street, and its holding up well. Next build is getting the hyper cluth trans.

sdrob
Approved Member

Post by sdrob »

so my question is where in hell can you track down hyper clutch parts??? i have been trolling ebay and other rc web sites on the off chance but no luck... australia is so far out of the loop of vintage kyosho parts..

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

A good 75% of my best Kyosho parts are from OZ. I think hyper clutch is as rare as yok T C S. They pop up every now and then at ridiculous prices,,, although a ytcs just went for 50 bucks recently!

Seriously, If your in Australia,, I think that Kyosho had a huge following there. Should be able to scrounge up something,,, eventually.