ReRe Scorpion build pics

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: ReRe Scorpion build pics

Post by Coelacanth »

To color the ABS plastic, maybe you could try Krylon Fusion for Plastic...also SEM & Eastwood make similar "paints" that actually bond to the plastic, they're not just spray paints. Might be worth a try.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Kyosho also should have optional red and black tubs and wings, and black wheels (they're in the option list).

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

I always and only use Tamiya TS paints for plastics. That Krylon stuff is too thick for something like this. Tamiya TS paint is best for this job.

rcpitwork

Post by rcpitwork »

about the body work.
may be this link can give u some idea.

http://www.time-tunnel.jp/01/old01.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:I always and only use Tamiya TS paints for plastics. That Krylon stuff is too thick for something like this. Tamiya TS paint is best for this job.
I wonder why it would be too thick? I used Krylon Fusion for Plastic to refurbish many hard plastic & vinyl interior parts for my Charger and it's supposed to bond to the plastic, requires no primer--just a thorough cleaning--and didn't obscure the fine texture that's on my console, for example. I still saw every detail in the texture--as well as previous minor scratches & imperfections after spraying on the Krylon FFP. It's not the same as regular plastic spray paint.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Coelacanth wrote:
SMOKE-DOG wrote:I always and only use Tamiya TS paints for plastics. That Krylon stuff is too thick for something like this. Tamiya TS paint is best for this job.
I wonder why it would be too thick? I used Krylon Fusion for Plastic to refurbish many hard plastic & vinyl interior parts for my Charger and it's supposed to bond to the plastic, requires no primer--just a thorough cleaning--and didn't obscure the fine texture that's on my console, for example. I still saw every detail in the texture--as well as previous minor scratches & imperfections after spraying on the Krylon FFP. It's not the same as regular plastic spray paint.
The Krylon works. I've used it before but not on RC stuff. I do know it goes on thicker than Tamiya TS paint. I guess you could use it but I just feel the Tamiya paint works better on hobby plastics. It sticks well, won't hide details, they have a huge selection of lacquer colors in different finishes, and I remember that Krylon being kinda expensive.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Hahaha I didn't realize this until Mike at Tammies pointed out the misspelling lol!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

mine is on it's way.
But my plan was to build as we did back when these cars were competitive, and ditch the tub. so, it won't be yellow
Might order a Black tub though as if nothing else I could restore my old beetle with that :)
I'll only really be running it indoors anyway, so I don't need the splash protection.
+ it means I can mount the servo up front for nice positive steering setup.

I'm still not sure on body though, I do have a couple of things I could use ;)

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Forgive my ignorance, but how far away is the Scorpion from the other models like the Tomahawk and the AYK cars with similar chassis?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

very similar to tomahawk, I have a radio tray but there are more pieces needed to do it right. You can hit CompetitionX for the Kyosho Tomahawk manual if you want to see how it fits together. Up to the tub portion they should be close, lots of little things like roller bearings in the trailing arms of a Tomahawk but overall the same.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Coelacanth wrote:
Same here, I have used Krylon fusion for console mods and it always turned out great. One thing I would add though, even though Fusion has adhesion promoter in it, I would use AP before use. It just adds a bit more strength to the paint bonding to plastic.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dupli-Color-Clear-aerosol-adhesion-promoter-primer/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=460112

Honestly though, I believe either Fusion or Tamiya TS paints would give great results. You would need to tests your clear coat on a sample piece first as I have seen it mess the paint up before. I only use Krylon Fusion clear on fusion paints, but I'm not sure what you would use for TS paints (unless they have a specific clear coat you can get).

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

How would Tanatwo do a 2014 Scorpion? Have a look see:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/tanatwo1970/69119335.html

I can't wait to see more build pics after these option parts are more readily available to us. :mrgreen:

Would be nice if Google Translator was a little better (or if I spoke Japanese) :roll:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks nice, but other than a red tub and paint job, it looks stock to me. I wonder what's the purpose for the Lexan body reinforcement (drywall tape) in that particular spot? I see no mounting holes in that area...is that a Scorpion weak spot?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Coelacanth wrote:Looks nice, but other than a red tub and paint job, it looks stock to me. I wonder what's the purpose for the Lexan body reinforcement (drywall tape) in that particular spot? I see no mounting holes in that area...is that a Scorpion weak spot?
According to google translate, he used it to prevent the tub from rubbing on the body.

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

The side-by-side photos with the original are just OK.